Bill In Indiana For Home Based Bakers!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm by Mindy1006

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #61 of 150

As I understand it .......

The list of amendments are the changes that were made to the House bill and then passed from the Senate to the Senate committee for the Health committee to review. The sections that are bolded are the changes the Senate committee made to the original amendments. It appears to have passed out of committee 6-1.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:37pm
post #62 of 150

I read the bill (report) but cannot make heads or tails of it and what it means to someone who wants to bake and decorate cakes?? Can anyone interpret this legislature?? Indy, where are you??

christeena Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #63 of 150

Are we home-based cake decorators still in the bill?? And now what??

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #64 of 150

It does seem to be it. There are things in there that I haven't read before. I am not sure about the new amendments. It's very confusing.

I am not sure in what exactly they are referring to when they say "organization". Check out lines 8-21.

This is pretty much pertaining to selling cakes and it's the most confusing to me.

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #65 of 150

I'm going to a Chamber "Meet Your Legislator" coffee tomorrow at 7:30 and my state senator and Rep will be there ... they have already been informed that I plan to ask them about this bill, so I presume they will have info. (And I plan to ask them to explain in regular language all of the changes.)

christeena Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #66 of 150

Indy, YOU'RE my hero!! Can't wait to catch up on this bill later Thursday after your meeting! Thanks, for all you do for us!! You're a peach and I appreciate your interest even though you are blessed enough to have a commercial business!! Thank you form the bottom of my heart for your support of us home bakers!!!

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #67 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I am not sure in what exactly they are referring to when they say "organization". Check out lines 8-21.

This is pretty much pertaining to selling cakes and it's the most confusing to me.

In my best "dont' quote me 'coz I have NO idea" voice ......

I think this was originally framed for low-level foods (i.e. non-perishables) to be made at home and sold in flea markets and farmers markets, and oh yeah you could sell it from home, too, stuff. It specifically named cakes, cookies, canned foods ....

Then changes were added that exempted religious and other organizations who would prepare foods and charge for the member of the orgz to eat each other's dishes ..... like a church or a moose lodge that had a pitch in and charge $5 a head for a fundraiser; or for churches who made the post-funeral dinner for a member and the member paid the church ladies for the cost of the food. Thus the wording "church SPONSORED funeral, wedding, bar mitzvah" etc.

I'm unclear on whether the changes are still sticking to the list of non-perishable foods or if it has now expanded into meals.

It appears that all items must still have a label of ingredients and a notice of "made in a home....."

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #68 of 150

Thank you SO much for this. I am printing out the committee report right now to try and make heads or tails of it. icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #69 of 150

I just want to add another "THANKS" to indydebi and maryjsgirl.
You guys have totally made my week! (and this is after loosing my oven for another week!)

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #70 of 150

What would we do without you guys?!?!?!

Thank you Indydebie and maryjsgirl... and everybody else!!

Indy, if you can get all this in plain english, it will be a blessing!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #71 of 150

Can't wait to hear the down low Debi thanks! I think I've read the bill at least ten times and I am still confused. dunce.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #72 of 150

geesh, I need to take a class on orgz! I get up early, actually PUT ON MAKE-UP! icon_surprised.gif .... just to find out the meeting is Friday, not Thursday! icon_redface.gif

christeena Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #73 of 150

Indy,

That's O.K.! I cannot barely function before my first cup of coffee!! I need to bake cake today instead of monitor this computer and stress over this bill!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #74 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

geesh, I need to take a class on orgz! I get up early, actually PUT ON MAKE-UP! icon_surprised.gif .... just to find out the meeting is Friday, not Thursday! icon_redface.gif

Well it sounds as if you found out before you got there; that's a good thing. Usually when I do stuff like that, I find out after I've arrived (it's happened to me at least three times, and it's always for doctor's appointments!). icon_redface.gif

But, at least with my memory this way I save on DVD's and books. I just wait a year or two and then rewatch/reread the same ones and it's still all brand new to me!! icon_lol.gif I won't even bother mentioning all the new friends I've been making - even right here in my neighborhood! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #75 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Well it sounds as if you found out before you got there;

Nope! I got to the place and there were NO cars there! So I drove to another building the chamber uses for meeting and no cars there either. Fortunately, my house is only about 3-4 minutes away, so I shoot back home and get on the chamber website and see it's tomorrow! I actually hvae it in my calendar as tomorrow!

Maybe if I take the trouble to write it down, I should actually look at it once in awhile! icon_redface.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #76 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Well it sounds as if you found out before you got there;

Nope! I got to the place and there were NO cars there! So I drove to another building the chamber uses for meeting and no cars there either. Fortunately, my house is only about 3-4 minutes away, so I shoot back home and get on the chamber website and see it's tomorrow! I actually hvae it in my calendar as tomorrow!

Maybe if I take the trouble to write it down, I should actually look at it once in awhile! icon_redface.gif

Okay, NOW you sound like me! lol Yes, I'm getting better at writing things down, esp. on the calendar - I just have to try to remember what I read on the calendar! icon_confused.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #77 of 150

They updated the bill status. It is now listed as an "engrossed bill". I had to google that and here is the definition...

"The official copy of a bill or joint resolution passed by the Senate and certified by the Secretary of the Senate."

So I would assume the bill has passed and will now go to Mitch Daniels to sign or veto.

Here is the link to the official bill. It will go into law July 1, 2009 if not vetoed by Daniels.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2009/EH/EH1309.1.html

Now if I could just make heads or tails of the bill. icon_cry.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #78 of 150

the way i read it, its almost as if we've been written out of the it. icon_sad.gif. but i'm not all that good at reading mumbo jumbo. :p i can't wait to hear how indy's breakfast goes this morning!

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #79 of 150

Even tho' I sent the email last week, my senator and the minority leader of the house were not really prepared or versed in the bill. They asked me to send them an email. I said, "I sent you one last week." He said, "Please send me another." I also told him that I understand he gets hundreds of emails a day .....

I had print outs of the bill and both amendments with me, which I gave to my senator to take with him. Gave him my card and he said, "Oh I remember this card!" I said, 'Well, take more and pass them along!" (guys ... here's the lesson in having a non black-n-white card, one that really stands out! thumbs_up.gif )

I was very complimented after the meeting when two attorneys approached me to compliment the detailed questions and "..... it's nice to see someone so prepared at these meetings!" Quite a few chamber members were complimentary, also. So I hope that means, even tho' I didn't really get any answers, that it showed I was serious about my questions and about this bill.

Maryj, I do not think "engrossed" means the bill has passed. http://www.ask.com/bar?q=what+does+it+mean+when+a+bill+is+%22engrossed%22%3F&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blurtit.com%2Fq651752.html A bill has to go thru the senate/house a number of times. You may have heard the terms "second reading", "third reading" or "final reading". A bill never gets passed in committee and becomes law without going thru another vote in the senate and then going thru the 2nd and 3rd readings. Sometimes they will waived 2nd and 3rd readings, but not always. I have a personal friend who has been a senator for over 20 years and he has told me that he has let some of his own bills die by never bringing them up for 2nd or final reading.

So .... no real news to report this morning. But I'll re-send my email to him as soon as I'm done here.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #80 of 150

indydebi- you are my hero! looking out for the little guy, even though you already have a licensed business! i would so love to turn my obsession into a business, but right now we can't financially do it. if this were to get passed and include home bakers i couldn't even tell you what that would do for me and so many others i can imagine!

christeena Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #81 of 150

Thanks, Indy, for the time and effort you put into the last two mornings (make-up and all!!). Are we home bakers still in the bill?? I can't understand the mumbo jumbo either!!!

anellos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anellos Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #82 of 150

Thank you Debi for going to that effort! I also have a serious case of CRS (Can't Remember *stuff*)

Even though it really wont apply to me until I get much better, I wrote my state rep asking for an explanation. Better to do the leg work now! After wading through, I am afraid that it only addresses farmers markets and that the lingo leaves out selling from home now. Of course, I have been known to miss something!

Happy to help you home bakers if anyone needs me to make some contacts!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #83 of 150

Thank you for all you are doing to keep us updated on this indydebi. I just wrote my state rep for the first time ever. Gosh I feel like a big girl now! Just to ask for some clarification on the matter and to ask that he try to get us back in if in fact we are now excluded. If I get any response I will keep you all updated.

marisanovy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #84 of 150

Thank you Indydebbi for all the trouble and for trying to make sense of all this mambo jambo! It's hard to understand... icon_cry.gif

Thank you also anellos for offering to help with contacts.

I'm curious though, do you mean contact here in Indiana? I live in the northeast corner, closer to Fort Wayne. How would that work?

Sorry... I'm a little slow. icon_lol.gif

My prayers this weekend will be for this bill to turn into realilty, for all of us home bakers.

Happy Easter everyone!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #85 of 150

The bill says to sell "from flea markets, farmers markets and from the home."

christeena Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #86 of 150

I think that WHEN this bill passes, we should all meet at Indy's and go out to lunch so we can celebrate! I'm trying to positive!! I get to treat Indy!!

marisanovy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #87 of 150

Count me on that one Christeena!! icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #88 of 150

Indydebi you are right. It looks like the bill is scheduled for second reading on the 13th.

Jewelsb with all the amendments it does look like we've been written out.

maryjsgirl Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #89 of 150

Bill is now scheduled for 3rd reading tomorrow. Don't know if I should be excited or depressed. icon_rolleyes.gif

christeena Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #90 of 150

I have my son including this bill in his nightly prayers!!! Indy says that cakers are still in the bill a few posts up the ladder!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%