Will A Drinking Glass Shatter In Oven?

Decorating By jlh Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm by majka_ze

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to make these hamburger cupcakes. I've Pm'd the person, but just haven't heard back yet. I want the rounded tops, so I'm thinking about baking the batter in a drinking glass I have. It's got a smooth, rounded bottom, that is just about the perfect size. Have you ever heard of "regular glass" shattering in the oven? 350 degrees? I don't know if it's safe to use non-bake glassware? I don't want to cause an accident. Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1046743

9 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 10

You can cut the tops off of cupcakes. That's how I've down it. And, yes, you can bake in glasses or mugs.

cleghorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cleghorn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

good to know!!Thanks

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 10

My only concern would be if there happens to be a little air bubble in the glass. Wouldn't it shatter as the air expands?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 10

I'm going to disagree with this. SOME mugs and glasses are oven safe. But MOST are not. Mugs are more likely to be oven safe and may indicate this underneath. Drinking glasses are likely to shatter under the temperature change unless they are made for this purpose, like pyrex.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 10

Yes, a drinking glass will shatter in the oven. Even most glass coffee cups are not meant to go in the oven. Have you thought about using a pyrex type mixing bowl or a stainless steel bowl for the overn?

They have that rounded bottom.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 10

ditto pp

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 10

Now that I think about it, no, I agree with the others.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 10

Try baking the burgers in a parchment lined tin can. After it has baked it should just pop out. If not, open the other end and push it through.
Cut the cooled "cake" into thick slices and you will have your burgers.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 10

Well, I do bake in glasses. But it is the thicker, cheap glass you can see often in a school cafeteria here. It has the thickness of a pyrex glass. I am afraid to try thin glass.

Even so, I set it on a round or rectangular pan and manipulate this pan only - set it with this pan in oven, take it on this pan out, cool it still in this pan. Most problems come from quick temperature changes and I hope this way I get little bit of leeway. And should one glass shatter, the pan would still hold the batter and the shards.

Better way would be to make "homemade pan" from alu-foil. Take your glass as form, three or four layers of heavy foil, mold it around for the pan, roll the edge. It is somewhat flimsy, but you can even bake regular sized cake in such pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%