How Long Can You Keep Fandant And Gum Paste?

Decorating By cleghorn Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 3:02am by cleghorn

cleghorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cleghorn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! All,
I'm new to the site & I must say its great! I find my self on it every time I sit down! I'm just a home baker that has always used butter cream, But after seeing all the cakes done with fondant, and gum paste. I'm ready to give it a shot!
I was wondering if made ahead of time how long does fondant and gum paste keep in the frig?
Thanks,
Patrice icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Patrice, and welcome!
I don't put fondant or gumpaste in the refrigerator......(from what I've read/heard you don't need to)...........I just keep it wrapped tightly in plastic wrap (doubled) and then in a large plastic bag.......I'm unsure as to how long it will keep; I don't usually have a lot left over.......maybe someone else can answer that......

cleghorn Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Do you make it use it same day?

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, I make it and use it in the same day......but I usually let it rest for a bit after I make it; but I have had some that I've kept for 2 weeks or better............and it's still good...........

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7

if you make it in advance, it lets the colours develop - good for dark colours.
i buy mine, so i guess home made is different, and keeps for less time, but bought stuff has a massive use buy date.
xx

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 7

If you make your own gumpaste using Nicholas Lodge's recipe, it keeps under refrigeration for 6 months, and a year in the freezer. You really do need to let it rest overnight for best results, although I have had to use it within a few hours of making it.

Since you are just beginning, I suggest that you start out by buying a box of Wilton fondant and a bag of Wilton gumpaste. This way you will become familiar with the consistencies of both products and will understand the consistency you need when you make your own. Both the fondant and gumpaste recipes call for a ballpark amount of powdered sugar to be kneaded in, because you need to add just enough to get to the desired consistency, and that is not an absolute amount.

Even though Wilton fondant doesn't taste good right out of the box, you can buy some LorAnn candy oils and flavor it yourself.

Happy playing!

cleghorn Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all the great info.!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%