Rolled Buttercream On Cookies

Baking By KookieKris Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:22am by CakeDiva73

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!
I was curious if anyone has done rolled buttercream on cookies?
I've been doing it for a while and I was curious what everyone's input was.
I also heard someone mention "lemon" flavored rolled buttercream on cookies too!? I'd love to know how to do that!
Any recipes, ideas and/or suggestions would be great ~ thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

I have used rolled buttercream for my cookies for a while too. I put the buttercream on the cookies soon after they come out of the oven so that the icing will stick, but I'm not happy with how they sometimes have that glossy/greasy look. I tried royal icing, but I don't like the texture of hard icing on top of a cookie. That's what led me to go to the rolled buttercream. I'd love to find an alternative icing that is easy to work with, can handle more complex detailing, but isn't hard.

What sugar cookie recipe do you use, if I can ask? I've tried the NFSC and another one I found called Penny Cookies. I'm not thrilled with either. I like a really buttery cookie with real vanilla in it.

Will be interested to see what others have to say when they reply. Thanks for posting this!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

I use a sour cream sugar cookie recipe. It's pretty thick and chewy and everyone just loves it. It isn't too sweet, so when you add the buttercream on top, it's the perfect pairing. I think that's the key.
I've debated trying the No Fail, but my customers have come to expect my cookie. I'm too chicken to try anything else!
I haven't tried putting them on straight out of the oven, I usually wait for them to cool and then "glue" them on with corn syrup. Your method seems MUCH easier. Also, when I don't want them shiny, I take some powdered sugar in a stocking (new of course) and dust them with the sugar.
It seems to take away a little of the sheen.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 7

I use the NFSC and have also tried the Penny's recipe. Both are good but not knock down, drag me out of here, great!!! I like them because they hold their shape so well.

I use fondant and royal on a lot of mine.. also use rice paper images and I use corn starch to attach the fondant or the rice paper....

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

I use strawberry RBC. I also noticed the greasiness especially if I would bag them soon afterwards and it smeared on the bag. I started letting mine sit overnight, in pizza boxes, and that seemed to dry the icing. I don't have that problem anymore.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 7

I put a little orange extract in my cookie dough - NFSC and also in the RBC...delicious! I sometime add royal icing to outline the RBC and If so I add a little orange to it ! FAmily and friends love it.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #7 of 7

I've used the rolled fondant on cookies and they come out so nice and smooth. I also like using that method for adding texture to the icing - the possibilities are endless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%