Tylose Powder

Decorating By jer702 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 2:43am by jer702

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making fondant roses for my wilton class and it calls for tylose powder with the fondant. Now I can't find any at Michaels or Joann, Am I not looking right or is there something that can be used in place of it. Thanks guys, I tried looking but couldn't find anything and I kinda need to know asap. Thanks again.

6 replies
jer702 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 7

HELP icon_cry.gif

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 7

I know Michael's doesnt sell it and I haven't seen it in Joanns either. I think that you can use Gum tex in place of Tylose its just Gumpast powder that make the fondant stiffer. Now I am no expert but I figured since you got no other replies I would give you my input.

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

The only place(s) I know of are cake decorating supply shops or on the internet.
I am *very* surprised that they would require it for a Wilton class!!
The closest thing (not the same but similar results) would be GumTex which is a Wilton product.

jer702 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you guys soooooo much. I'll pick up some gumtex and try it out. They gave us just a little pouch for class but we used most of it last week practicing and now for our final cake we have tons of roses and she didn't mention what to use in place. Thanks a million (((HUGS)))

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 7

You can add 1 teaspoon of wiltons gum-tex to every 12 oz to fondant. If you have some tylose left you can use that. A little tylose and gum-tex goes a long way. I would add the same amount of tylose to the fondant also. I am guessing that this is course number 3. I used plain fondant for my roses ( wiltons brand). Hope this helps! Good Luck!

jer702 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7

Okay, I bought gum tex and I must have been a little tired today but I was completely wrong. It wasn't until I was there that I realized that what we used in class was in fact gum text and not tylose. Seriously, I don't even know why that got stuck in my head icon_redface.gif Thanks again for all the help but I did learn something new today. Well I have to go make some roses now. Have a great night. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%