Fondant

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm by daniassis

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I am having problems when laying my fondant onto the buttercream, it does not seem to stick By the time I get my fondant rolled out, the buttercream has crusted. Any tips would be appreciated. Please help these cakes are for a wedding cake for this Saturday.

Edited: In case my post was not clear, I am covering the entire cake with fondant.

5 replies
luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 6

You can glue it with a little buttercream in your bag. Just put a small amount on the fondant piece before you put it on the cake. You can also use a little melted chocolate to stick to the buttercream.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

Chill your cakes for about 8 - 10 minutes, lightly go over the bottom edge of the cake with a damp paper towel, then cover it with fondant. You can also line the edge with piping gel to make the fondant stick.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 6

you can also , hold the cake up or move away from the fondant. and lightly mist with water.. this is just another way.. this is what i do. hth

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 6

I put cakes in the freezer for about 10 minutes before covering with fondant and have never had problems with the fondant not sticking. The buttercream will sweat a little bit when it comes back down to room temp, thus sticking the fondant to the BC.

I do as icer101 does on cakes that are too large to fit in the freezer. A light misting of the buttercream with water is all it takes.

daniassis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniassis Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, jguilbeau

I use italian meringue buttercream. It's a non-crusting buttercream, and I never had a problem sticking fondant to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%