Pleasantly Surprised

Baking By freddyfl Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 1:08am by freddyfl

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 15

A lady from my church asked me to make cookies for our church school's auction and so I said yes. She provided the basket and I made the cookies of my choice. I went with the Peanuts theme, because I had done them before and someone said that they thought those would go well. I wasn't expecting much for them...I was hoping for anything over $20, but with the economy and all I wasn't sure. The lady gave me a longaberger basket to put them in, which probably helped raise the price greatly, but they ended up earning our church school $140. I was very pleased. Especially considering the last time I made cookies ( the clifford and arthur themed ones in my gallery)for my kids school PTA bake sale they only sold them for 25 cents each. Just thought I would share my happiness.

14 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 15

The cookies are awesome! Definitely worth the auction price!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 15

Very nice work! Auctions are funny- you have to have a knowledgeable crowd that appreciates the items. My DH did a framed photo for a church auction, putting a fair amount of time and money into a beautiful piece, that sold for less than the price of the frame! And I only did smocked items once- and I ended up buying those back because I was insulted with the amounts!!!!

freddyfl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 15

I think ignorance is a big part of it. I had no idea how much time and work went into decorating until I started doing it....I was one of those, "they want HOW much" LOL....now I know why it is that way. =)

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

I think ignorance is a big part of it. I had no idea how much time and work went into decorating until I started doing it....I was one of those, "they want HOW much" LOL....now I know why it is that way. =)

Ditto that! I took up cake decorating when my sons were little because I had no clue why "just cake" should cost so much. The saying "experience colors the facts" couldn't be more true!

Congratulations on the huge success at the auction for your cookies. I thought you did a fantastic job on them, and it's no surprise why people were willing to pay for them!

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 15

Your cookies look too good to eat! Great job! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 15

I'm so glad that some lucky person was smart enough to know what a prize they were getting!!! Your cookies are marvelous, and it's great that they brought in enough money to make the hard work worth your while!!!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

Especially considering the last time I made cookies ( the clifford and arthur themed ones in my gallery)for my kids school PTA bake sale they only sold them for 25 cents each. Just thought I would share my happiness.

Never ever "sell" anything at a bake sale! I used to do it that way, but then when we had a sale a few years ago one of the mom's told us to make signs saying "donations" instead. We did that and we made $600 from one little old bake sale!! The most we'd ever made before was about $100. Turns out that people who will balk at paying $1 for a cookie or a brownie will gladly give you a $10 or $20 donation and take one item. Who woulda thunk it?!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 15

Whoo hoo! party.gif That is so fantastic! I am so happy for you! Oh, I just took a peek at your profile and your work is AMAZING! You are truly an artist!! I had seen your Homeland Pride cookie before, but this is the first time I have seen your other work. Hats off to you!! thumbs_up.gif Such talent!!

freddyfl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Never ever "sell" anything at a bake sale! I used to do it that way, but then when we had a sale a few years ago one of the mom's told us to make signs saying "donations" instead. We did that and we made $600 from one little old bake sale!! The most we'd ever made before was about $100. Turns out that people who will balk at paying $1 for a cookie or a brownie will gladly give you a $10 or $20 donation and take one item. Who woulda thunk it?!!

That is a really good idea....I should bring that up to our PTA. Thanks.

freddyfl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you everyone. =) Now I am off to make some St. Patty's Day cookies and if I have time some Nascar ones. Happy St. Patrick's Day all.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 15

They look great. I know how you feel too...a few years ago I made a pink ribbon cake for a raffle at work. I was sceptical and was trying to convince to sell by piece.

The cake raised over $320!

freddyfl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 15

wow that is amazing!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #14 of 15

Out of curiosity, what kind of frosting do you use?
Your cookies just look fantabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

freddyfl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #15 of 15

Thank you! I use royal icing. My recipe is 2 pounds powdered sugar, 3 tbspns meringue powder, about 2/3 cup water or until it is the consistency I want it and flavoring up the ying yang to hide the taste of the meringue powder. I like it because it doesn't get too hard if eaten within a couple of days, which they ALWAYS are with a house full of kids and a bunch of sugar mongers around LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%