Brill Frostings?

Decorating By ambolil Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm by tiggy2

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone heard of this company and what do you think of their products.

The local grocer can sell me a 45lb tub of buttercream (not was I was asking for, but decided to mention it anyway) for $45.00. They can sell the whipped version for the same cost but in a 18lb tub.

Any thoughts? I'm from the midwest. I looked at the manufacturer's website for bettercreme and it looks like they mainly ship to the coasts. I have a Sam's Club and was looking for bettercreme, but have yet to contact them.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 8

I love their german chocolate (caramel pecan) icing, and their La Pattisier ganache. But you have to be a big conglomerant to purchase wholesale from them. The first order must be $30,000! So only grocery stores and such can do biz with these people. Sometimes the grocers will purchase for you and sell it to you a little over their price.

The butter cream is okay but you have to have a big commercial mixer to use it. They might have some in a bucket, but I don't remember.

cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 8

A company called Dixies Icings was at the Austin cake show. I was actually amazed at how similar to my Buttercream the icing was. It is a meringued based icing so it doesn't crust. It is still much cheaper for me to create mine (I used their comparison calculator) so the only thing I think I will ever purchase from them is the red and black as they are the hardest to get to the color I want and maintain the same consistancy, they seem to have that down pat. You might want to try them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 8

I have used their regular b'cream some.
I bought a bucket of it because my local cake supply store went out of business and she said she sold tons of it. I only once had anyone ask for any icon_sad.gif So I would on occasions when I was running low on my homemade stuff would mix it ....... maybe 1/2 & 1/2.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 8

i think it tastes like play doh....

for some reason the bucket icing tastes way more chemicaly than the cubes.

you can get it through distributers, the min order is usually about 500.00.

i'm not a cake snob, but home made tastes so much better, and costs about the same.

cakesdivine Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #6 of 8

Are you guys talking about Brill or Dixies?...

Brill bc isn't great but Dixie's is pretty good.

fondantgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgirl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 8

Yeah I agree with cakesdivine Dixie's is pretty good and that's all I use now. Plus its super smooth and for the life of me I can never get my homemade icing that smooth lol.......Also I love that it doesn't crust icon_biggrin.gif It also works well under fondant!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 8

Dixie's is very good and has a long shelf life. She has different flavors and colors and one made especially for ice cream cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%