A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:45pm
post #21571 of 25877

AHa ha ha, lizzy your joking, my lot are strange bunch believe me, we aren't allowed phones on the shop floor, quick peek at lunchtime and that's about it i'm afraid.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:48pm
post #21572 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle 

@roxylee123 just for you
Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:50pm
post #21573 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Slice of Heaven

Hi all - I was wondering if Uk home-baking cakey people on this forum are up to date with labelling of your cakes that are being sold in the UK. The new EU Allergen Labelling will be coming into force from 13th December and I am new to selling home-made cakes (under a year) and wish to be up to date with all legalities regarding selling of my cakes.

My question is as follows: [COLOR=FF0000][B]What do you actually list and include on your labels (allergy advice/ ingredients / E numbers / etc. ) ?[/B][/COLOR]  I am looking for the actual wording on uk labels for cake makers. Thanks. :D

[URL=http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide]http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide[/URL]

Hi :-)

I've had a very quick look at the link, and the pages I clicked through to *seem* to suggest that this is more aimed at businesses with a storefront, eg takeaways, bakeries, restaurants, caterers etc. There is no mention of home bakers, which would seem about right as a lot of the guidance generally seems to be aimed at business with premises.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I read it.

I don't label my cakes at all. If someone wants gluten free I will provide it, but I tell them that it is at their own risk as I am not at up with clear zones etc, I just make sure when I do gluten free stuff that it's not made at the same time or with the same ingredients as my normal stuff. Ditto dairy intolerance. I also say I work in an environment that uses nuts. That's it as far as information goes.

Edited to say that if I have read this wrong I'll be phoning EH to gen up on it properly!

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:52pm
post #21574 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzybug78 

Noooo, it's a soft sweet vanilla-y pudding surrounded by creamy custard underneath with a crisp golden sugary topping to crack your spoon through. I like it best with brioche or pandoro, but normal white loaf is traditional. Bugs are optional icon_wink.gif

Lol. Thanks Lizzy I might give it a try one day and see if I like it, thought probably without the bugs :D I have toasted panetone and had that with custard and that wasn't bad.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:53pm
post #21575 of 25877

AThey were they loved it and I done matching cupcakes

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:55pm
post #21576 of 25877

Wow Chezza I doubt I could do something that neat now never mind for one of my first pieces of work.

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:01pm
post #21577 of 25877

A

Original message sent by roxylee123

Wow Chezza I doubt I could do something that neat now never mind for one of my first pieces of work.

Yeah bet you could

Slice of Heaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:07pm
post #21578 of 25877

Thanks Lizzybug78 - I thought this question may be a bit on the deep side for this forum, but I wanted to get a little more serious with this cakey stuff and when I register our Love 2 Bake venture with the council in the next few months, I want to be up to speed with the legislation. This labelling business will apply to any registered cake business, whether one person home bakers or online companies or businesses with premises. Thanks for your feedback. 

Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:13pm
post #21579 of 25877

To Lizzybug78 - I saw this ( https: instant-download-printable ) and know one cake business who uses it , but I am sure that it does not comply with the new 13th December rulings - I think I better phone the EH in the morning too ! Thanks 

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:15pm
post #21580 of 25877

No Chezza I'm not really good with plain cakes I'm much better with ones with lots of things on to cover the marks I've made in my SP :D. You tried your mini mat yet?

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:19pm
post #21581 of 25877

ANot yet am doing a 6 inch later in the week so will have a little try with it then I think might even try to use it to cover the cake

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:26pm
post #21582 of 25877

ASlice of heaven - I had to put allergens on my cupcakes for the office bake off so I would expect to see it being enforced on professional bakers. Wasn't siany looking at this recently? I can't remember if it was her so apologies if I'm wrong. Welcome to the thread. Kathy

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:31pm
post #21583 of 25877

I finally bought a 4" cake tin today so I can make small cakes to try things out on. I haven't seasoned mine but the gumpaste didn't stick to it it was fine could be different with SP . I haven't used it for covering a cake yet though just to roll gumpaste . Pleased with it so far though.

Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:32pm
post #21584 of 25877

Thanks Kathy 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Slice of heaven - I had to put allergens on my cupcakes for the office bake off so I would expect to see it being enforced on professional bakers. Wasn't siany looking at this recently? I can't remember if it was her so apologies if I'm wrong. Welcome to the thread.
Kathy

. . . and thank you for the welcome too ! - I am not familiar with siany so will back track a few of the 1438 pages to see if I can pick up the thread. Thanks for the info. Chris

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:35pm
post #21585 of 25877

AI have a few little tins (think they are about 4inch too) was actually looking at them today and thought maybe I could do mini Xmas cakes lol then realised I was having my op lol oh well maybe next yr lol I will put trex on it just before I use it, it looks sooo easy but bet it ain't

DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:44pm
post #21586 of 25877

Oh Chezza - that's next week isn't it?  Good luck. 

Oh and Mr Kathy has had the all clear on his biopsy :-D woo hoo!!

Just made my Arial head and torso - hmmmm - looks like the creature from the blue lagoon currently!  But the modelling chocolate is holding up well at the moment even with the heating on full blast!

Kathy

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:49pm
post #21587 of 25877

AYep it is can't wait (know that sounds weird being excited about the pain lol), yay for the modelling chocolate holding up can't wait to see your finished cake bet it looks fab

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:52pm
post #21588 of 25877

That's fabulous news Kathy you must both be so relieved. I'm sure your Ariel is looking great.

Chezza I have the loose bottomed mini cakes tin from lakeland, they are smaller than 4" but it is a great tin and they have a recipe on the site to make fruit cakes in it. I only make sponge though. I hope your op goes well and you recover quickly, it's the worse time to have it with you having young kids really isn't it.

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:53pm
post #21589 of 25877

Kathy do you normally use modelling chocolate for figures or is this the first time? Did you make the MC?

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:53pm
post #21590 of 25877

AThat's brilliant news kathy, you must be so pleased? Now get on with enjoying what is the most important part of your lives together.xx

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 9:57pm
post #21591 of 25877

A[@]roxylee123[/@] I got my loose bottom little tins from pound land the kids have done sponge before in them at least then they have a small cake to do each and can't fight over colours lol

[@]DaysCakes[/@]You must be totally relieved waiting for test results is horrible

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:02pm
post #21592 of 25877

I have a few tins from poundland but have never seen the loose bottomed ones, I do have 5" ones from B and M and there ok. My mini cakes tin makes like cupcake sized ones.

DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:02pm
post #21593 of 25877

AThanks all - yes - totally over the moon. Phew!

I've never used modelling chocolate before but I was having a panic with it on Sunday. I'm only using it for taste really. I really hope it works.

Thanks again for all your kind thoughts. Kathy

Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:03pm
post #21594 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adebee 

Hi everyone I am new to this and need serious help with my Buttercream!!!!

I'm having issues with my buttercream, every time I make it, it comes out runny and I am unable to decorate my cupcakes neatly because it melts. I usually make it the day before as this has happened many times and keep it in the fridge before use. However it still comes out runny and its really annoying!

I got my recipe from BBC foods, but I have doubled the quantity to make enough which is:

1. 280g Butter I use stork 
  2. 560g Icing sugar

I also use an electric mixer and beat the stork for a while and then pour in all my icing sugar.

P.S. The cupcakes are never hot when I do the piping.

I hope someone can help. Thanks

Hi Adebee - I am surprised that you use 1:2 ratio of butter to icing sugar !

We have been using a proven recipe for the last year from Debbie Brown's 50 easy party cakes book ( Easy-Party-Cakes-Debbie-Brown ) £7 online - Her recipe for buttercream is 125g of butter softened (we use : I can't believe it's not butter from Tesco - not cheap but we find it the best quality unsalted butter) 375 g Icing sugar (very cheap at Lidl) - (must be sifted though)  - add 1 Tbs of milk or alternatively substitute the milk for a Vanilla or Lemon flavouring of your choice. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl only a little at a time and beating well after each addition, until all the sugar has been incorporated and the buttercream has a light creamy texture. We don't use a mixer - all done by hand. It's a good work-out too !

Good luck !

DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:03pm
post #21595 of 25877

ASorry roxy forgot to say yes - I made it myself! Kathy

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:11pm
post #21596 of 25877

A

Original message sent by roxylee123

I have a few tins from poundland but have never seen the loose bottomed ones, I do have 5" ones from B and M and there ok. My mini cakes tin makes like cupcake sized ones.

Mine are bigger than a cupcake will measure them tomorrow as just got into bed (sad I know read cc on my phone in bed lol)

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:13pm
post #21597 of 25877

Do you find the MC easier to make figures with so far Kathy? Does it melt when you are using it? Sorry for all the questions.

roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:15pm
post #21598 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle 

Mine are bigger than a cupcake will measure them tomorrow as just got into bed (sad I know read cc on my phone in bed lol)

Lol I'm on my laptop in bed watching I'm a celebrity that I recorded earlier.

chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:15pm
post #21599 of 25877

AGlad it's not just me then lol

Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:28pm
post #21600 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by smysha 

I think all I wanted to initially ask was, 'Should I give her a discount?' She had earlier inquired after a third cake when she picked up this one. Do I give her a discount for that? Or suggest it? She hasn't gotten back to me about what the problem actually was.

Hi smysha - sorry to hear of your upset with that customer - If you have done nothing wrong and cannot pinpoint what could have gone wrong then maybe you have not done anything wrong! You said that you tasted the off cuts and had not issues. I personally would say to your customer: Thank you for the honesty in the feedback, but as you are not happy I would need to try some myself so please could you offer me a piece for me to gauge the issue. Don't mention a discount or anything such like as that implicates that you are in the wrong and you will have to live with that ! You may wish to ask any previous customers for an honest feedback on that particular recipe or maybe start thinking about adjusting or trying out a new recipe. (It could however be the difference of leaving a chocolate cake in the oven for a few minutes longer than normal - I don't know). Basically don't offer or mention any discount, but ask for a piece to try yourself. (You may find that the cake has already been eaten, in which case you know the answer to the issue !) Good luck ! Let us know what she says when she replies to your text. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%