A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 2:47pm
post #21541 of 25877

AThis globe is for the 21st Dec!! I wouldn't normally do it so close to xmas but heck why not.... scary globe cakes don't come round too often lol!!

I do that with banana bread too!!!! ha ha ha! do you also use it in a bread and butter pudding before it too goes off?? lol ....a chef friend gave me a great secret for B&B pud.... after buttering the bread spread with marmalade! OMG its soooooo good!!!!

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 2:57pm
post #21542 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

*anyone any suggestions on how to use up 7 packets of crushed dugestive biscuits??? banoffee pie?! ...it would be cheaper just to throw them out maybe! lol

Key lime pie? I've also seen a pumpkin pie done with a biscuity cheesecake style base and that looked nice. I think I've heard of digestive crumbs being turned into truffles. I know if you mix cake crumbs with cream cheese frosting then form into balls you can make cake truffles that can be coated with chocolate/candy melts, but don't know about biscuits. If you've got some bigger bits there's always rocky road or tiffin too.

Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:03pm
post #21543 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey 

Key lime pie? I've also seen a pumpkin pie done with a biscuity cheesecake style base and that looked nice. I think I've heard of digestive crumbs being turned into truffles. I know if you mix cake crumbs with cream cheese frosting then form into balls you can make cake truffles that can be coated with chocolate/candy melts, but don't know about biscuits. If you've got some bigger bits there's always rocky road or tiffin too.

mmmmmm great ideas! thank you! its just digestive powder you get in those cheap packet mixes.... truffles would be good, they'd go great with some chocolate fudge :)

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:21pm
post #21544 of 25877

Quote:

This globe is for the 21st Dec!! I wouldn't normally do it so close to xmas but heck why not.... scary globe cakes don't come round too often lol!!

I do that with banana bread too!!!! ha ha ha! do you also use it in a bread and butter pudding before it too goes off?? lol ....a chef friend gave me a great secret for B&B pud.... after buttering the bread spread with marmalade! OMG its soooooo good!!!!

I make bread and butter pudding with marmalade on purpose now.  I also make it with the Orange Warburton's bread.  I did it by accident a couple of years ago and my goodness it was such a success!  I now drizzle a little Cointreau in - not a lot - and use up the marmalade in the fridge.  Nobody knows it was a mistake at all!  And you have like nearly 3 weeks to do this cake - so that should be easy peasy! ;)  By the way, going to start modelling with my coloured chocolate tonight - wish me luck!  (Thanks for the tip about the cold surface by the way).

Kathy

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:54pm
post #21545 of 25877
Quote:

This globe is for the 21st Dec!! I wouldn't normally do it so close to xmas but heck why not.... scary globe cakes don't come round too often lol!!
No, you can't turn that down, it'll be great fun!

Erm, goes off? :?The kids inhale anything that's not nailed down, it's like having a pack of wolves in the house ​:-D 

Hubby doesn't like marmalade unfortunately so I can't try that, although it does sound lovely. Perhaps I can just pop into yours for some* next time I'm in Ireland instead? :lol: I do brioche in b+b - vanilla sugar, no bugs in my bit but loads in hubby's! Swapping them out for blueberries is lovely too, and it means I can eat it without having to check that anything gross has migrated to my side!

*that's for some bread and butter pudding before all the filthy minds go into overdrive! :roll: 

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 4:01pm
post #21546 of 25877

AAfternoon all. :-)

Welcome to the thread Adebee. I make my buttercream the same as everyone else, always butter, never stork. I made some with crisco once just out of curiousity. It was disgusting!

Welcome to the thread claire. I'm making Christmas cakes with my daughters class next week, I'm using little baked beans tins to bake them in and 5 inch boards. I'm guessing that's a bit too small for you though?

Aw Lizzy, I'd be sad too. In fact I'm sad for you. I read that and filled up, I think I'm a bit emotional today.

Nice to see you roxy. Both cakes went down very well, thankyou. :-)

Gray why do you sound surprised about that globe cake? We all knew you'd do it! :-D

Nanny I took my tin back this morning. The plan was straight there, return tin, grab petunia cutter, collect deposit and straight back. That sooo didn't happen! :-D I've got boards, toppers, cutters, plastic "merry Christmas" signs and I can't remember what else! I spent £33! :-D I think your cake sounds beautiful. It most certainly will not look amateur and the cake lace will make it even more beautiful.

Sorry if I've missed anyone but there was loads to catch up on again.

That reminds me, I laughed at your news roundup the other week roxy, I wish I had a memory like that. :-)

maisie73 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 4:02pm
post #21547 of 25877

ALmao Lizzy! Jam is nice if Mr Lizzy doesn't like marmalade.

Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 4:11pm
post #21548 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Lmao Lizzy! Jam is nice if Mr Lizzy doesn't like marmalade.

He doesn't like that either! Or coconut. And he's not keen on Minstrels. Now that I read this I'm wondering why I married him...:-D

I'd forgotten your Crisco trial :lol: Didn't you keep it for ages and keep trying it to see if it was ok?

Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 4:22pm
post #21549 of 25877

Why are you emotional today Maisie? Everything ok I hope?

Sock Monkey Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:00pm
post #21550 of 25877
Quote:
mmmmmm great ideas! thank you! its just digestive powder you get in those cheap packet mixes.... truffles would be good, they'd go great with some chocolate fudge icon_smile.gif

Ahh, I see. I did wonder how you ended up with so many crushed digestives! I didn't like to ask, maybe it was a anger management technique...

Just been out and it's freeeeezing! After all this talk of bread & butter pudding I could just do with some. I've replaced the dried fruit with chunks of chocolate before and that works. Will have to try the marmalade next (maybe with a drop of whisky?)

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:03pm
post #21551 of 25877

Hi all. Well my MFF wasn't straightforward at all today!! I'm hoping all the icing sugar I kneaded in (over 2kg) will save it. I'm so annoyed that it took up all my time today, as I was hoping to start on some cute turtle figures! Grr

Welcome Adebee and Claire!

Sock, the amounts found online differ quite a bit for SP amounts for covering cakes. Some say 500g, some say 650. All depends on how thick/think the SP is rolled. I generally go for the higher amount, because I like to have a 'skirt' around the cake to make it easier to position it on the cake. So now, when I have to cover a cake, I use the diameter of the cake as reference- 6" = 650g, 8" = 850g and so on. I have a list of amounts for my boards so I don't have to google every time!

Gray, how exciting! A globe cake- how big will it be? I've only ever made a 6" one and that's quite substantial!

Kathy, it can take a while for deliveries to arrive from China. My mum's order arrived over 2 months after she ordered them. 

Sock Monkey Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:23pm
post #21552 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Sock, the amounts found online differ quite a bit for SP amounts for covering cakes. Some say 500g, some say 650. All depends on how thick/think the SP is rolled. I generally go for the higher amount, because I like to have a 'skirt' around the cake to make it easier to position it on the cake. So now, when I have to cover a cake, I use the diameter of the cake as reference- 6" = 650g, 8" = 850g and so on. I have a list of amounts for my boards so I don't have to google every time!

I think the thing that was throwing me was those ready rolled sheets of SP say there's enough to cover an 8". It doesn't sound right, but I think I did it one year (when that was the only thing left in the shop and I was desperate - never again!) I remember it cracked and I ended up kneading, then re-rolling, but it was enough for an 8" cake. I must be like Scrooge with my SP quantities. I did two 6" cakes two years ago and used one packet of supermarket icing, so it must have been a 1kg pack. I might get that and a 500g as back-up.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never tried colouring sugarpaste. Is it easy or am I likely to end up with a streaky mess? I'm thinking about a pale ice blue/grey, but the only ones in the shop were almost fluorescent. Slightly tempted to just buy some red and go with my other idea.

maisie73 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:23pm
post #21553 of 25877

AOh I don't know what's wrong with me today Lizzy. I feel so pent up. Like I could throttle somebody with my bare hands or burst into tests at a moments notice. I think my son's hoping it'll be the latter! Chuck your MFF over here Jean, I'll sort it out!

maisie73 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:24pm
post #21554 of 25877

ATests????? Tears! :-D

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:47pm
post #21555 of 25877

This is the cake I gave to her. I feel nervous posting it here! :)

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll just wait for her to say something. She hasn't replied yet.

Maisie I hope you cheer up soon! And Gray I can't wait to see your cake! 

I always make B&B pudding with marmalade and lime peel. So yum.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 5:59pm
post #21556 of 25877

A

Original message sent by roxylee123

Oh Kathy I forgot to say my onlay and mould arrived over the weekend, the onlay is a little smaller than expected but can't complain for the price. Did your alligator one turn up?

Mine came too. Well two of them did still waiting one one, from same seller, how does that work. I didn't go very well when I tried it the other day but I'm going to try again, have a feeling I may need to vote the bullet and get proper ones.

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

Erm, goes off? :? The kids inhale anything that's not nailed down, it's like having a pack of wolves in the house ​:D  

Hubby doesn't like marmalade unfortunately so I can't try that, although it does sound lovely. Perhaps I can just pop into yours for some* next time I'm in Ireland instead? :lol:  I do brioche in b+b - vanilla sugar, no bugs in my bit but loads in hubby's! Swapping them out for blueberries is lovely too, and it means I can eat it without having to check that anything gross has migrated to my side!

*that's for some bread and butter pudding before all the filthy minds go into overdrive! :roll:  

Lizzy, stop putting bugs in your husbands food, at the very least stop putting it online :D

maisie73 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 6:20pm
post #21557 of 25877

ASmysha is this the cake for the customer who complained? And don't be nervous, it's lovely. :-) What didn't she like?

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 6:27pm
post #21558 of 25877

Smysha - lovely cake.  Obviously she can't complain about the decoration.

Aw Maisie - some days are like that aren't they.  Sounds like they are painful.....to the purse!:-D  Imagining a "supermarket sweep" type of shopping event!

Kathy

Loubee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loubee Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 6:29pm
post #21559 of 25877

ALove the Xmas cakes nanny my favourite is the tree one I love that it's made from all them stars.

Original message sent by Siany01

Loubee yea the tree is stars . 3 large, 3 medium and then a pointy teardrop on top to put the star on. It's a lakeland one, go get one now if you want one as they are atopping selling them and just running down stock now so when they are gone they are gone. I do others where I cut templates out but they take quite a bit of time and people won't want to pay what they are worth so I just do the mould ones for selling.

Thanks Siany I'll have a look after and will order if they haven't sold out.

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:12pm
post #21560 of 25877

A[@]Smysha[/@] that cake is lovely dunno why the person complained, try not to worry about it or let it get to you too much (hard I know)

[@]roxylee123[/@] dunno if I did put a pic up here can put one up if you wanna see it (just let me know)

[@]maisie73[/@] hope your ok and tomorrow isn't as emotional

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:26pm
post #21561 of 25877

Thank-you! I'm glad you liked it. I'm still new to this and am constantly learning. She said the cake on the inside was really disappointing even though it is a tried and tested recipe and a sponge that she herself had already tasted as a previous order. When I was layering it I felt that it was really moist and fudgy and perfectly cooked. Ah well - I'm just going to let this slide. She hasn't elaborated yet so there's not much I can do!

@Sock Monkey Thank you for the American buttercream recipe and explanation! I had a few market stalls in the summer and was pulling out my hair when the piped roses on my cupcakes were melting!

Crazy-Gray Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:44pm
post #21562 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

Erm, goes off? :? The kids inhale anything that's not nailed down, it's like having a pack of wolves in the house ​:D  

Hubby doesn't like marmalade unfortunately so I can't try that, although it does sound lovely. Perhaps I can just pop into yours for some* next time I'm in Ireland instead? :lol:  I do brioche in b+b - vanilla sugar, no bugs in my bit but loads in hubby's! Swapping them out for blueberries is lovely too, and it means I can eat it without having to check that anything gross has migrated to my side!

Lol lizzy! I'm almost speechless ha ha!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:49pm
post #21563 of 25877

Well I'm back from visiting my sister and the kids, it was nice to see them. Her little one Lewis who's 5 wouldn't leave me alone bless him, wanted me to sit next to him and play games on the tablet and was so proud showing me his room.

I managed to pop into the cake shop for a nosey and of course had to buy a few absolutely essential things :D 

Gray ignore me I thought you meant full digestive biscuits :duh: that's what I get for trying to get an extra few minutes on cc when I'm getting read to go out the door. Can't wait to see the globe cake when you do it, do you have any ideas yet, do you think you will use edible images on it?

Kathy you alligator mat might still turn up .I have claimed a refund for things on ebay in the past only for it to turn up weeks later, to be  honest I think it's the post in this country that is causing the problem.

Siany I've not had a chance to try mine yet, I ordered a mould off the same seller a couple of days after the onlay and that arrived at the same time but in a separate parcel.

Smysha love the frozen cake, it is my mum's birthday on saturday so I am making her a frozen cake. It is not going to be a grown up one as she is like a kid lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezzabelle

@roxylee123 dunno if I did put a pic up here can put one up if you wanna see it (just let me know

If I wanna see it, off course I do Chezza post a pic.

Maisie hope your feeling better, what nice goodies did you get from the cake shop? I have a few of the blossom sugar art cutters and moulds sets and I love them all, I would like to get the snow rose soon.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:50pm
post #21564 of 25877

I knew I'd missed something. I have never tasted bread and butter pudding what does it taste like as I imagine soggy bread.

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:16pm
post #21565 of 25877

AOh good grief, I go to work for one day and I have 3 pages to read, and 2 newbies to welcome, strewth. Welcome to Claire and Adebee.

Gra, if I have a 3 tier to make for the 21st, then sure enough you can make that globe too, can't wait to see it.

Buttercream, has to be butter, not stork, not crisico/ trex, shortening or whatever the Americans use god forbid, yucky.

So cakey mates is everyone ok in cake land today.

Oh maisie, your turning into me, I can't go into that shop and spend under £30 ever. What's up today then? You ok Maisie.? thanks for the vote of confidence with my cake, dunno why i'm nervous about it probably cos it has a lable of wedding cake attached to it, it's got me in a tizzy.

God help me when I make my 3 tier, i'll be on the valium!

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:30pm
post #21566 of 25877

Good evening all :)

Corrrrr you lot can half talk!!! Whats going on here? Grays back and they've all burst to life :lol:

I can't catch up but Hi Newbies :-D

Aww Maisie whats up? Hormones? Gotta love being a woman when the moon is full :(

Gray you nutter! A Globe! For the 21st! :o...........mind you I can talk, ive an Elvis bear in full rhinestone outfit! :???:

Nanny...deep breaths :-D

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:32pm
post #21567 of 25877

A[@]roxylee123[/@] just for you

Slice of Heaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slice of Heaven Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:34pm
post #21568 of 25877

Hi all - I was wondering if Uk home-baking cakey people on this forum are up to date with labelling of your cakes that are being sold in the UK. The new EU Allergen Labelling will be coming into force from 13th December and I am new to selling home-made cakes (under a year) and wish to be up to date with all legalities regarding selling of my cakes.

My question is as follows: What do you actually list and include on your labels (allergy advice/ ingredients / E numbers / etc. ) ?  I am looking for the actual wording on uk labels for cake makers. Thanks. :D

http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide

Lizzybug78 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:39pm
post #21569 of 25877

AI'm sorry you're having one of those days Maisie, I hope everything looks better tomorrow xx

Original message sent by Siany01

Lizzy, stop putting bugs in your husbands food, at the very least stop putting it online :D

Hehe, I would but he loves them :-D

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

Lol lizzy! I'm almost speechless ha ha!

:-D

Original message sent by roxylee123

I knew I'd missed something. I have never tasted bread and butter pudding what does it taste like as I imagine soggy bread.

Noooo, it's a soft sweet vanilla-y pudding surrounded by creamy custard underneath with a crisp golden sugary topping to crack your spoon through. I like it best with brioche or pandoro, but normal white loaf is traditional. Bugs are optional ;-)

Nanny, your cakes are always immaculate so stop worrying! Also, you need to use your work time to log on so you're not too behind. I'm sure if you explain it to your employer they'll be fine with that :-D

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:41pm
post #21570 of 25877

AWill try tidds, mind you I think I came out the better of those two, you are nutters honestly.

Lovely cake chezza, really neat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%