A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:01am
post #20791 of 25877

AHi suzanne, wonder where you got to, and kelsey too, when is she?

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:02am
post #20792 of 25877

Aoooh get you nanny....shiwing us all up lol

nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:09am
post #20793 of 25877

AOh I know, still work 3 days, unfortunately, so gotta be mega organised.

Not kern on making GO find its an odd mixture, seems ok though, doesn't rise as well as my normal sponge but it's looking ok.

Made some make up, and trying to make a mini bag, Michael kors, wtf!

Then a duck egg colour cake with pink accents, I airbrushed the flowers and leaves, and made swallow from my new tools, and he wants lace around the sides, for his mam whose 88.

nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:09am
post #20794 of 25877

A*GF

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:20am
post #20795 of 25877

AOooh can't wait to see it nanny! I am gluten intolerant but have never made one! Let me know how it goes :D

nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:30am
post #20796 of 25877

AWill do. Looking good. Apparently my GF cakes are abit of ok so I'very been told, I used to make them last yr for a cafe and ppl were buying that weren't even GF.

Not looking forward to making the bag, dont know why, the make up is fine, just not the bag, as you can't do want you want , gotta look like the real deal, so to speak.x

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:31am
post #20797 of 25877

AIs it a full size bag cake? I live making bags :D

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:36am
post #20798 of 25877

Look forward to seeing whatever you decide to do Tiddy, how come you've never made a GF cake Tiddy not like you to not try something lol.

Get you Nanny all organised, can't wait to see the cakes they sounds like they will be lovely but then they always are.

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:41am
post #20799 of 25877

ANever found a decent recipe :( I will have a go though :D

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:54am
post #20800 of 25877

something else for you experiment with :-D. Do you make cakes when you are trying your new toys out or just cover dummies?

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:56am
post #20801 of 25877

AIf I have the right size dummy I will use that but have frozen cakes too :D

nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:57am
post #20802 of 25877

ANo just a small bag to go on top of an 8" round GF, along with some make up.

Tidds I just follow the recipe that comes on the Doves farm s/r flour packet, always turns out nice ,will go and take photo for you.

nannycook121 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:00am
post #20803 of 25877

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3304388/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Not bad size for a GF, 3 8" round using a 12 ozs mix.

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:04am
post #20804 of 25877

Bet you family love you doing all this playing when your using a real cake :smile:

Oooh that looks a nice cake Nanny.

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:11am
post #20805 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannycook121 

No just a small bag to go on top of an 8" round GF, along with some make up.

Tidds I just follow the recipe that comes on the Doves farm s/r flour packet, always turns out nice ,will go and take photo for you.

Oooh fab! Thanks Nanny :-D it looks great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

Bet you family love you doing all this playing when your using a real cake :smile:

Oooh that looks a nice cake Nanny.

Oh I do! But.....my daughter has just informed me that its cake sale day tomorrow and she also needs a superhero costume! :cry: so won't be much playtime today :(

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:17am
post #20806 of 25877

I'm still following a gluten free diet, so I could murder a slice of that cake now, Nanny! Haven't had any cake for four weeks now and starting to get withdrawals.

I was thinking (and worrying) about cakes whilst in bed* last night and something occured to me that I hadn't considered before. When I've transported cakes in the past the board was always bigger than the cake, so it would go in the box and the sides of the cake would arrive undamaged. Those were coated in fondant too. If I'm transporting a cake that will have either chocolate work or exposed ganached sides where the board is the same size as the cake (stacking at the venue about 4 hours away) how on earth can I get it there without making a mess?

I may have already asked this a thousand pages ago, so bear with me. If I cover a cake with ganache and leave some areas exposed (no fondant or chocolate work) will it be ok at room temperature for a day or so? Will the cake be ok too or am I risking that going stale without fondant?

*Someone please tell me I'm not the only one thinking about these things in bed.

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:21am
post #20807 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

Oooh fab! Thanks Nanny :-D it looks great!

Oh I do! But.....my daughter has just informed me that its cake sale day tomorrow and she also needs a superhero costume! :cry: so won't be much playtime today :(

Kids eh Tiddy they think all mum's can do a mary poppins and just click their fingers and it's all done, don't we wish :-D

You are not the only one who worries about these things in bed Sock monkey I'm exactly the same. 

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:27am
post #20808 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sock Monkey 

I'm still following a gluten free diet, so I could murder a slice of that cake now, Nanny! Haven't had any cake for four weeks now and starting to get withdrawals.

I was thinking (and worrying) about cakes whilst in bed* last night and something occured to me that I hadn't considered before. When I've transported cakes in the past the board was always bigger than the cake, so it would go in the box and the sides of the cake would arrive undamaged. Those were coated in fondant too. If I'm transporting a cake that will have either chocolate work or exposed ganached sides where the board is the same size as the cake (stacking at the venue about 4 hours away) how on earth can I get it there without making a mess?

I may have already asked this a thousand pages ago, so bear with me. If I cover a cake with ganache and leave some areas exposed (no fondant or chocolate work) will it be ok at room temperature for a day or so? Will the cake be ok too or am I risking that going stale without fondant?

*Someone please tell me I'm not the only one thinking about these things in bed.

funny how our brains wake up at night time isnt it!

The ganache should be fine so don't worry about that. Do you have a bigger board and box? I would put some antislip on a larger board and then the cake and put it into a larger box to transport :D

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:32am
post #20809 of 25877

oh i know roxy! She always does this to me though so im pretty good at mary poppins ninja style :lol:

It wasn;t so much that she mentioned this on the way to school this morning but when she said it I just looked at her and she said "mum are you blinking at me?" :-?

I said I am yes! to which she replied "oh does that mean you will make cakes?" wtf?! lol...so apparently I must twitch at the thought of a last minute batch of cupcakes and this must mean I am doing them :lol:

Shes a strange one my Amber haha!

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:38am
post #20810 of 25877

:lol: That's so funny, maybe kids ask at last minute because they know as there mum we will do it no matter what, even if it does make us twitch :lol:

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:39am
post #20811 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

funny how our brains wake up at night time isnt it!

The ganache should be fine so don't worry about that. Do you have a bigger board and box? I would put some antislip on a larger board and then the cake and put it into a larger box to transport :D

I think my brain was trying to work out how to put it in a larger box without it slipping around at about 2am this morning! Seems obvious now, haha. Thanks Tiddy, I can relax a bit now.

When I did my trial, I didn't put the cake in an airtight box for the first couple of days. The ganache seemed fine to me and firmed up nicely. Husband ate most of it and he's still alive! I just worry about the health & safety aspect of things, but that's probably just because I've never done a wedding cake before.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:39am
post #20812 of 25877

Bigger box and a large duvet in the boot Sock Monkey!  I had to stack a cake for a wedding and transport it 120 miles like that - all our clothes were screwed up but the cake was fine!

Tiddy - she obviously knows you better than you know yourself!   I would give her one of your jumpers and tell her to go as you!!!  You MUST be her superhero - then you can get on with the cakes!

Nice looking cakes Barbara - can't wait to see what you produce.

Kathy

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:41am
post #20813 of 25877

Bit of a me post, folks. 

Here is the ganached car, looking very much like batmobil. Any suggestions on how to get it looking more like a ferrari would be greatly appreciated!!! The last photo is the cake I'm trying to copy. I think I need to round out the back corners, for lack of a better description. that gap I've carved out in the middle of the side of the cake is bugging me, I'm having real problems trying to carve that bit but I'm flummoxed- I don't know how to do it!! Help!!

Tiddylicious Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:52am
post #20814 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Bit of a me post, folks. 

Here is the ganached car, looking very much like batmobil. Any suggestions on how to get it looking more like a ferrari would be greatly appreciated!!! The last photo is the cake I'm trying to copy. I think I need to round out the back corners, for lack of a better description. that gap I've carved out in the middle of the side of the cake is bugging me, I'm having real problems trying to carve that bit but I'm flummoxed- I don't know how to do it!! Help!!

Jean it looks great! I think the only thing I could say is yours looks a little shorter at the front as they have quite a nose and at the back and the side thats bugging you just round that edge a wee bit so its less sharp, thats all it is...they are quite round and sleek so if you first do the edge and have another look im sure you will be there :-D

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:53am
post #20815 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Tiddy - she obviously knows you better than you know yourself!   I would give her one of your jumpers and tell her to go as you!!!  You MUST be her superhero - then you can get on with the cakes!

Thats so sweet.

Petitecat the ferrari is looking great, i would round the back corners like you said. I've not any experience with this but with the side maybe use a small spoon or something curved and gently scoop a little bit of ganache off to get the curve. Maybe warm the spoon in hot water first. They others can probably help you more than me. It looks fab so far though can't wait to see it finished it will look great when the fondant is on.

petitecat Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:57am
post #20816 of 25877

OK thanks I'm off to go carve some more 8O

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:14am
post #20817 of 25877

AThe aero cake survived the jour we surprisingly. My brother loved it and everyone loved the taste of it so that was good. It was a very stodgy cake, more brownie like than cakey really. I did like it though, I would worry that if people weren't as cake/chocolate/sweat mad as my lot though that someone might think it was an under cooked cake as it did kind of look like that. Went down a treat though.

Lovely car Jean it's looking good. As people have said I think the corners just need to be more rounded and it will look amazing.

petitecat Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:33am
post #20818 of 25877

Sugaruva, glad your cake went down well! I think mud cakes tend to be heavy, but do try Paul B's choc cake- its lovely and moist and it tastes fantastic and it doesn't appear to be that stodgy. I've been eating a lot of cut offs the last two days :-D

I've carved some more and added a bit more cake to the front to make the front a bit longer. I've taken off some of the front windshield because I think it's too far forward. Don't know why this car is so boxy!

roxylee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:36am
post #20819 of 25877

You happier with it now Petitecat?

petitecat Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:37am
post #20820 of 25877

Roxy, a bit. It's looking a tad less boxy. I've decided to quit carving before it all falls apart and let the details help make it look ferrari-y! Just waiting now for ganache to set a bit in the fridge before I re-cover with it x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%