A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:40am
post #19501 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Kelsey - am hoping you can help me with a recipe for my neighbours' Christmas cake.  I am searching for "halal" fruit cakes and found this:  http://cherryonacake.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/boiled-fruit-cake.html  - do you have any suggestions?  I loved your pics on FB btw of the Frozen cake.

Kathy

I'd use my usual cake recipe, just omitting the alcohol.....  (sorry, I know I'm not Kelsey, but thought I'd put my two penneth worth it!)

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:44am
post #19502 of 25877

Hi all, what neon food colouring have people found to be the best (as in really bright and neony if you will)? 

Siany, I'm at a loss at the moment as to what SP to buy, so I think I'll have to try michelle foster's fondant recipe because I don't have any SP at the moment to mix with the LMF recipe. I'll probably give MMF another go if the michelle foster one doesn't work out. I had great success with my first MMF and should really keep trying. It's jus that there seems a lot less mess with the michelle foster one.

Speaking of which,  has anyone tried the michelle foster SP recipe? how did it go?

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:47am
post #19503 of 25877

Quote:

Red lights.......???  Are you going all "techy" now Tiddy??  Can't wait.....:D

Oh god no Kathy! That would mean Tiddy was turning tricks wouldn't it? :-?:lol:

L.E.D's Kathy! haha!

Sock Monkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sock Monkey Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:47am
post #19504 of 25877

The smell of xmas cakes, coffee and baking bread have to be some of the best.

Quote:

Kelsey - am hoping you can help me with a recipe for my neighbours' Christmas cake.  I am searching for "halal" fruit cakes and found this:  http://cherryonacake.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/boiled-fruit-cake.html  - do you have any suggestions?  I loved your pics on FB btw of the Frozen cake.

I'm not Kelsey either, but thought maybe soaking the fruit in cold tea instead of alcohol could work? It's what you do in a normal fruit cake, so not sure if it means it needs baking closer to the date you're giving it to someone.

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 11:57am
post #19505 of 25877

AHi guys! Thanks for the lovely comments on cake and pics!

Kathy if I follow a recipe that calls for soaking fruit in alcohol I usually soak in fruit juice. Apple or orange juice is perfect! It swells them and gives them a nice burst of fruit when you tuck in! I try to use a bitter orange to get that taste! Obviously butter instead of lard and apart from that it's all good!

Easiest way of doing halal cooking/baking is thinking of it as vegetarian and omitting alcohol! :)

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:19pm
post #19506 of 25877

Omg I need help. I've just watched a youtube clip of a handheld hoover. I think I've reached a new low.

Tiddylicious Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:20pm
post #19507 of 25877

:lol: step away from the computer Lizzy :lol:

Lizzybug78 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:23pm
post #19508 of 25877

lol, it has reached that time I think :-D

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 12:56pm
post #19509 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzybug78 

Omg I need help. I've just watched a youtube clip of a handheld hoover. I think I've reached a new low.

Uhm I'm missing something here. They're all handheld! Do you mean a mini vac? 

Is it even lower to enquire about it? LOL

Lizzybug78 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 1:11pm
post #19510 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Uhm I'm missing something here. They're all handheld! Do you mean a mini vac? 

Is it even lower to enquire about it? LOL

I think it might be :lol::-P

ps - I promise I will give it it's correct name from now on.

pps - that ps above isn't true :D

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 1:19pm
post #19511 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

Oh god no Kathy! That would mean Tiddy was turning tricks wouldn't it? :-?:lol:

:o

Thanks for the cake tips everyone - never used tea although seen it mentioned a lot.  I think I'm worried about shelf life - so maybe that should have been my question.  How long will a cake last without alcohol in it?  I haven't ever thought about it before.....

What's a hoover.........???:-D

Kathy

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 1:36pm
post #19512 of 25877
Quote:

What's a hoover.........???:-D

Kathy

Hoover's a brand name now synonymous with the vacuum :). 

Lizzybug78 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 1:43pm
post #19513 of 25877

*sneaks in to laugh at you all talking about hoovers now*  :D

Tiddylicious Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 1:49pm
post #19514 of 25877

awww look what the birthday girls mum just sent me! Doesn't it look fab with all the extras :-D

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 3:34pm
post #19515 of 25877

Lizzy, LOL 'vacuum, blah blah, cakes, blah blah'!!!

Tiddy, that's fantastic! Set's off your cake really well. I've always been amazed at the effort put into dessert tables and that's a brilliant one! 

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 3:34pm
post #19516 of 25877

I think my question got lost in all the hoover chat. I'll try again, can anyone recommend a brand of neon food colours?  

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 3:56pm
post #19517 of 25877

Lmao Lizzy that is exactly what a man thinks like. Hope the pipe gets sorted properly when they come round.

Thanks Siany I am gonna give that a try, though not today as I came back from the shops and realised I'd forgotten the marshmallows :duh: 

Petitecat I still haven't tried the Michelle fosters one let us know how you get on with it, I've read good things about it.

Kelsey I must have missed you cake did you post a photo?

Tiddy the cake looks awesome on the table with all the extras really spooky, you must be really pleased with how it turned out. I was thinking of putting lights on the frozen cake I want to make for my mum's birthday but was thinking as I was only going to put a few on maybe use LED earrings sat in the top of straws or something. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you have a play with the red lights.

roxylee123 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:01pm
post #19518 of 25877

Sorry Petitecat I've not used neon colours yet would be interested to know what brand is good though.

Tiddylicious Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:03pm
post #19519 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

when you have a play with the red lights.

what is it with you lot!!!!!

:lol:

roxylee123 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:07pm
post #19520 of 25877

:lol:

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:09pm
post #19521 of 25877

Lizzy, thought your joke was funny by the way!

Lol, red lights *giggle*

Tiddylicious Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:15pm
post #19522 of 25877

and all I can hear is Sting singing..."Roxanne......you don't have to...." lol

petitecat Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:42pm
post #19523 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

and all I can hear is Sting singing..."Roxanne......you don't have to...." lol

LMAO!!!

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 4:47pm
post #19524 of 25877

AAfternoon all

Just popping on to say I'm alive ! Wasn't as bad as I anticipated, however most of the stuff put off now till tomorrow. So could be bad tomorrow now instead ! Anyway thanks for all your your concerns I'm not really this whimpy honest ! But she has been a right cow and not just to me either. Something tells me she needs her holiday !

Got parents evening in a mo so can't really read what you are all chatting about yet. Will try and get back on later ;-)

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 5:20pm
post #19525 of 25877

Tiddy - it looks amazing.  You don't have to wear that dress tonight......yeah it's in my head now.

Had a cr*p afternoon.  Only went and broke my tooth after my last post.  Just returned from an emergency dentist appointment.  :(  I haven't been since 2011 (feeling a bit sheepish now).  I thought my crown was coming off after I had lunch turns out the crown was attached to a tiny bit of tooth and a metal post (look away now if you're squeamish) - but the tiny bit of tooth gave up the ghost and I had to have another post put in.  Can't even have a cuppa as my mouth is like Donald Duck right now.  Plus he told me that I should prepare myself to save up for an implant (£2,500!!!) or a bridge!!!!  Very miserable right now.  I presume the bridge is less expensive but either way it's costly and a long job.  I told him I was too old for an implant!  But then he said either way it's a savings plan.  Grrrr.

Kathy

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 5:21pm
post #19526 of 25877

AHi guys,work today,groan.

You are a funny bunch aye.

Tidds,cake looks amazing on that table BTW,such a lovely thing to do for her.

Jo,glad your parents eve went ok,I'm.past those things now but I do remember them well.

I'm with Kathy,Hoovers, who hoovers? I don't, John does it all for me,well if he sendsne out to work,what does he expect?.

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 7:22pm
post #19527 of 25877

AWho else watches apprentice? Catching up on the new series from hols and I'm dying. Some of these people are such muppets!

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

Lizzybug78 Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 12:02am
post #19528 of 25877

Oh Yeah! (has to be said as Vector would in Despicable Me!) I've worked out how to turn an xls into pdf even though there's no 'save as pdf' button, then make the pdf have boxes customers can write in when I attach them to an email, all without hubby prompting me. Feeling very smug and a bit like an IT genius :D

Can't help you with the neon colours Jean, sorry :( The closest I've used to neon are the americolour electric gels. They're nice colours but the pink faded soooo quickly in the light when I used them for colouring sugarpaste!

I'm glad your day was slightly better than expected Jo. Hope parents evening was ok!

Ouch Kathy, that sounds painful (to you and your wallet!). 

Off to bed now, I'm crackered!

Night all x

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 8:09am
post #19529 of 25877

AMorning all, can't remember who said they would at the NEC on the Sunday.x

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 8:10am
post #19530 of 25877

AMorning !

Kathy oh no to poorly expensive teeth ! Must be annoying yo think of all that money going on teeth !

Parents evening Waa good although Ruby's teacher is so young I feel like a right old fish wife now !

Roxy forgot to answer you yesterday 9 years married this year ! Together for 13 so seems ages lol x

Sat in traffic atm hoping a bomb goes off so I don't have to go into work lol !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%