A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 9:39am
post #1621 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Welcome to the thread Joanna1. I don't know whether I'm a bit late to answer. I didn't get any email alerts!!!! (Happens all the time) icon_sad.gif

I bought two bake even strips and I used them only few times. And I have used them on upto 8" cake tins. So like LisaPep mentioned, its waste of money. Use the towel method she has suggested.

When I make figures, I use sugarpaste with CMC powder. If you are using CMC then you can use it straight away. But if you do it with Gum trag, then you have to knead and leave it over night and use it next day.

I found a great tutorial on google about doing the stripes. But it is in another language. But from the pictures you can see how you can achieve it.

http://tortentante.blogspot.com/2009/03/anleitung-streifentorte-mit-schleife.html

allaboutcakeuk, first I would carve the cake to look get the "chunk" effect like you said. Then cover the whole cake with ganache. Then do the wrapper.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

thanks bashini and others, this could end up a crumbly cake lol icon_smile.gif

thecos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecos Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:14pm
post #1622 of 25877

I just wanted to say Hi - I have been lurking about on cc for a while and recently discovered this thread. I'm slowly but surely working my way through the previous posts to catch up. I have found a wealth of information and inspiration in this thread - thanks! I hope that I can keep learning and eventually contribute. xx

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1623 of 25877

Allabout. I'm probably too late but I brought a sink mat from the 99p shop that I used for my welcome baby cake and thought that it would be great pushed into some sugarpaste or chocolate plastique to make the chocolate square effect.

Rosiepan Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #1624 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos

I just wanted to say Hi - I have been lurking about on cc for a while and recently discovered this thread. I'm slowly but surely working my way through the previous posts to catch up. I have found a wealth of information and inspiration in this thread - thanks! I hope that I can keep learning and eventually contribute. xx

Hi and welcome, look forward to seeing your creations.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1625 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Allabout. I'm probably too late but I brought a sink mat from the 99p shop that I used for my welcome baby cake and thought that it would be great pushed into some sugarpaste or chocolate plastique to make the chocolate square effect.

oo that sounds interesting maybe i could do the paste thicker and use something like that - thank you! love a good idea to make life simpler

Rosiepan Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:23pm
post #1626 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

oo that sounds interesting maybe i could do the paste thicker and use something like that - thank you! love a good idea to make life simpler

Yeah me too. As soon as I saw it I could envision using in it to make a bar of chocolate cake. I did one a few years ago and carved out the squares, took forever this would have made life much easier.

DebMcGee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebMcGee Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1627 of 25877

Hi all

I'm very new to all this proper fancy decorating but I've been making cc's for ages but one thing that's always bugged me was that I could never get BC to look like the american stuff....did some searching on web and found that we can use TREX in the UK instead but whenever I use it, the results are a disaster so I've gone back to normal butter.

Have any of you managed to make nice white buttercream with shortening-type fat? If so - please share results and recommendations!

Thanks
Deb
x

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1628 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMcGee

Hi all

I'm very new to all this proper fancy decorating but I've been making cc's for ages but one thing that's always bugged me was that I could never get BC to look like the american stuff....did some searching on web and found that we can use TREX in the UK instead but whenever I use it, the results are a disaster so I've gone back to normal butter.

Have any of you managed to make nice white buttercream with shortening-type fat? If so - please share results and recommendations!

Thanks
Deb
x

When I wanted really white icing I've used 50/50 trex/cream cheese then twice as much icing sugar (eg 50g trex 50g cream cheese then 200g icing sugar)and it works out fine.

DebMcGee Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 7:36pm
post #1629 of 25877

brilliant! I'll try this next! Thanks
D

allaboutcakeuk Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:20am
post #1630 of 25877
Quote:

Hi all

Thanks
Deb
x

Hi Deb

I do Trex 200g, icing sugar 500g, 1 teaspoon glycerine, 1 teaspoon vanilla flavour (I use the clear one from Wilton so it doesn't colour the icing). You can add 1 tablespoon of meringue powder if you want more stability from it but I don't normally add this part. Let the vegetable fat to come to room temp first.

I was dubious at first when I wanted to do white cupcake frosting but it turned out great and smooth.

HTH icon_smile.gif

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1631 of 25877

does anyone know if the following statement about licensing etc is true (found on the moneymagpie website)

Legislation says that all food businesses must register their kitchens with their local authority unless they operate on a casual and limited basis only. Currently you dont have to register if youre baking for profit for less than five days in five consecutive weeks.

Is this really true? As I would like to make a friend's wedding cake but was worried about the legal implications and getting a hygiene cetificate, kitchen licensed etc when I don't plan to make any other cakes for wider consumption any time soon!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:46pm
post #1632 of 25877

idontknow, as far as I know, if you are baking cakes for other people (whether its for profit or not) you need to get your Hygiene certificate and let your local council know and get your kitchen checked by the EHO. I would call the local council and get all the information. icon_smile.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #1633 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

does anyone know if the following statement about licensing etc is true (found on the moneymagpie website)

Legislation says that all food businesses must register their kitchens with their local authority unless they operate on a casual and limited basis only. Currently you dont have to register if youre baking for profit for less than five days in five consecutive weeks.

Is this really true? As I would like to make a friend's wedding cake but was worried about the legal implications and getting a hygiene cetificate, kitchen licensed etc when I don't plan to make any other cakes for wider consumption any time soon!

I heard that from a lady at work (non food related job) too but as bashini said probably best to ask your local authority, also any income you would need to declare for tax.
I hope it is true though it would give me one less obstacle if I do get around to selling on a very casual basis (its just a dream for now!)

allaboutcakeuk Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:14pm
post #1634 of 25877
Quote:

Legislation says that all food businesses must register their kitchens with their local authority unless they operate on a �casual and limited� basis only. Currently you don�t have to register if you�re baking for profit for less than five days in five consecutive weeks.

I would check with the authority in your area. This was one question i was asked when I got them round to inspect. They wanted to know how often I baked and how many I thought I would do a week. it does vary drastically from area to area. Some are v. strict others a little more lax. The only problem is that if someone did get sick if they came to you how would you be able to cover yourself with no public liability insurance or proof that you have a food hygiene certificate. I know it sounds awful. If you are only doing a one off just call them up and tell them this. Are you charging your friend for her cake?

wizzywig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wizzywig Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm
post #1635 of 25877

hi, is it possible to put 'superwhite' into the icing to make it extra white

wizzywig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wizzywig Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1636 of 25877

hi, is it possible to put 'superwhite' into the icing to make it extra white

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm
post #1637 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Welcome to the thread Joanna1. I don't know whether I'm a bit late to answer. I didn't get any email alerts!!!! (Happens all the time) icon_sad.gif

I bought two bake even strips and I used them only few times. And I have used them on upto 8" cake tins. So like LisaPep mentioned, its waste of money. Use the towel method she has suggested.

When I make figures, I use sugarpaste with CMC powder. If you are using CMC then you can use it straight away. But if you do it with Gum trag, then you have to knead and leave it over night and use it next day.

I found a great tutorial on google about doing the stripes. But it is in another language. But from the pictures you can see how you can achieve it.

http://tortentante.blogspot.com/2009/03/anleitung-streifentorte-mit-schleife.html

allaboutcakeuk, first I would carve the cake to look get the "chunk" effect like you said. Then cover the whole cake with ganache. Then do the wrapper.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

thanks for the tutorial link, it really helps to be able to see a step-by-step sequence.

i do have a question though, what do you use to stick the fondant stripes to the main fondant covering?

R4ORT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
R4ORT Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:25pm
post #1638 of 25877

Just spotted this thread from the homepage, so thought I'd say "hello". Nice to see other UK people on here!

Just started out making cakes for friends as opposed to just my family and really enjoying it.

bashini Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:48am
post #1639 of 25877

Joanna1, you can use water, clear alcohol or sugar glue. icon_smile.gif

wizzywig, when I make buttercream, I use Lurpak. It doesn't have the yellow/ivory colour you get from other butter. icon_smile.gif

R4ORT, welcome to the thread. icon_biggrin.gif

Joanna1 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:47pm
post #1640 of 25877

thak you icon_smile.gif i'll try out with the water first.

DebMcGee Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1641 of 25877

Wizzy - yes you can but I have no idea how much! I second the motion of using lurpack - definitely makes a better colour or you can use President French butter

DebMcGee Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1642 of 25877

Hi Guys

Where do you buy larger stocks of cupcake cases? I know Lakeland has plain white ones in bulk, but I was hoping for something a bit funkier! I've looked on ebay but postage makes it prohiitive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Deb

R4ORT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
R4ORT Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1643 of 25877
Quote:

Hi Guys

Where do you buy larger stocks of cupcake cases? I know Lakeland has plain white ones in bulk, but I was hoping for something a bit funkier! I've looked on ebay but postage makes it prohiitive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Deb

My favourite seller is cake-stuff. They have a great range and I find their prices hard to beat and delivery is always prompt and accurate.

http://www.cake-stuff.com/

this site is very good only £3.99 postage too which I think is reasonable.
http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Wholesale_Foil_Cake_Cases.html

The other site I use is..

http://www.cupcakewrappers.co.uk/

Hope this helps!

idontknow Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:54am
post #1644 of 25877

hi all,

A while ago I bought a 2.5kg bag of dark choc chips, callebaut i think, from Makro, and they are now running out, so was wondering where the best place was to buy in bulk? and whether you guys used a better chocolate available in chips?

and for other basics, flour etc, do you just buy from your supermarket or do you go to a wholesale type place?

bashini Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 10:05am
post #1645 of 25877
Quote:

hi all,

A while ago I bought a 2.5kg bag of dark choc chips, callebaut i think, from Makro, and they are now running out, so was wondering where the best place was to buy in bulk? and whether you guys used a better chocolate available in chips?

and for other basics, flour etc, do you just buy from your supermarket or do you go to a wholesale type place?

I buy my chocolate chips from Design-a-cake.co.uk. They are callebaut too. But once I bought a tub of belgium choc chips from Costco, just to use in cupcakes. I buy my Caster sugar, Icing sugar,, Vanilla, eggs and sometimes butter, when they put on special price. Since they don't have Sponge flour, I buy that from sainsbury's or Marrisons.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:03am
post #1646 of 25877
Quote:

Hi Guys

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Deb

http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=327_331
Here have coloured ones and postage is only £1 for UK up to a certain weight (up to £4) using Royal Mail. I havent got anything from it though.

Btw I have used the Cakes Cookies and Crafts site for chocolate supplies and the service was really good.

idontknow Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:09am
post #1647 of 25877

thanks Bashini, i checked out design-a-cake and they sell the 10kg bag for £72, i found the same bag here for £50, thought you might like to know...

http://www.chocolatefountainwarehouse.co.uk/Chocolate_3/Callebaut-Chocolate/Callebaut-811-554-Dark-10Kg

although i don't think it's the same i bought from makro, as on my 2.5kg pack it says 72% cocao minimum, and the DAC and the above link say 53%...i don't think i could use up 10kg, 2.5kg has taken me a while! but it's certainly economical, only comes to £5 per kg, which is 50p per 100g, which is cheaper than the basic choc you get at supermarkets.

bashini Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:35am
post #1648 of 25877

Thanks for the link, idontknow. But I don't buy the 10kg. I just buy the 360g ones, when I need them. I don't do much chocolate cakes. As I am a member of BSG, they give 10% discount as well as if I buy over £60, the deivery is free too! icon_smile.gif

FootprintsCakeArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FootprintsCakeArt Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:02pm
post #1649 of 25877

Hi all,
just wanted to introduce myself, I have just come back to cake decorating after learning some skills as a teenager with my mum, I'm now 31 and hope to build a portfolio and eventually open a cake decorating business in stoke-on-trent.
Really great to see all the tips and recipes on here - you are all such a great inspiration!
Anyway helloooooo icon_biggrin.gif

Joanna1 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1650 of 25877

I would like to try the butter/shortening method of making buttercream. All i can get hold of is Cookeen, is this the same as the Crisco?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%