A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:59pm
post #1561 of 25877

Hello there, can anyone please help. I am making a chocolate ganache covered cake for my future daughter-in-laws birthday next week and want to hand paint a specific picture on it and was herefore going cover the cake with fondant to do this, but I am now thinking about covering with white chocolate paste - but have never used this before. I am not sure if I can buy the chocolate paste ready made like fondant or if I have to mix myself - can anyone please advise, also can the cake be put in the fridge with this covering? many thanks in advance thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1562 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmcake1954

Hello there, can anyone please help. I am making a chocolate ganache covered cake for my future daughter-in-laws birthday next week and want to hand paint a specific picture on it and was herefore going cover the cake with fondant to do this, but I am now thinking about covering with white chocolate paste - but have never used this before. I am not sure if I can buy the chocolate paste ready made like fondant or if I have to mix myself - can anyone please advise, also can the cake be put in the fridge with this covering? many thanks in advance thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

You can get it at squires I think.

Personally I'd cover in fondant because the ready made chocolate paste is alot more expensive.

Also not sure how the food colours would look on chocolate paste(sure someone will know) so I really would want to try it before the day.
I dont think you'd need to keep in the fridge though, I wouldnt put a cake in the fridge with fondant on it.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm
post #1563 of 25877

Thanks Davwattie thumbs_up.gif , I don't mind too much if the chocolate paste is more expensive, its just that I know I cannot put a fondant covered cake in the fridge, and the fact that it will have ganache in it, I was a bit worried about it not being in a cool enough place, I will be baking the cake on Thursday, filling and possible torting (not decided about that yet) or covering with chocolate paste on Friday then I need it to sort harden before hand painting with dust colour mixed with cocoa butter. I am wanting to paint the 'les mis' girl on the cake. any further help or ideas much appreciatd. icon_wink.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:36pm
post #1564 of 25877
Quote:

Hi there, I missed few pages as I didn't get any email allerts. Anyway, welcome to all who joined the thread recently.

I have used both white and dark chocolate paste but as Davwattie mentioned above, it is very expencive. I normaly buy them from Tracy Mann's and also have used Renshaws as well.

I also would cover the cake in fondant. If its a chocolate cake, then I would cover it with ganache and then cover with fondant. So if anyone who doesn't like fondant can take it off.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1565 of 25877

Thanks Bashini, maybe I will give the chocolate paste a miss and go with ganache and the fondant, I suppose it should keep ok as long as I keep it in a cool place. icon_wink.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:08pm
post #1566 of 25877

mmmmm.... you can minimize the condensation on the fondant by putting the cake in a covered box in the fridge (when you take it out, leave it in the box as it begins to warm. I know a lot of people seem to have issues, but I never have unless it was really (REALLY) hot outside.

bashini Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #1567 of 25877
Quote:

Thanks Bashini, maybe I will give the chocolate paste a miss and go with ganache and the fondant, I suppose it should keep ok as long as I keep it in a cool place. icon_wink.gif

Don't worry and don't be scared to use ganache. I use it all the time for choc cakes and leave it out without putting in the fridge. icon_biggrin.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1568 of 25877

thumbs_up.gif Will do, thanks miss_sweetstory.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1569 of 25877

Bashini, thats good to know as I only have a small fridge with large freezer! Thank you all for you help, I must say I am looking forward to making the ganache (and eating some icon_lol.gif ) I havn't made that for such a long time. thumbs_up.gif

bashini Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #1570 of 25877

You are welcome. icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck and looking forward to seeing a photo! thumbs_up.gif

wizzywig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wizzywig Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1571 of 25877

i'd have a heart attack if my mother in law made something nice for me!!! good to know there are some lovely ones out there xx

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm
post #1572 of 25877

wow thanks will post pic when I've made it, and wizzywig thank you soooo much. icon_smile.gif

mrsspider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsspider Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1573 of 25877

just wanted to pick everyones brains please. I am looking to start selling the little individual/mini cakes and just wanted to ask a couple questions.

How much do you charge for each mini cake?

Are there any make of pans that you recommend as there are a few different ones.

Do you display them on a cupcake stand or put in individual little boxes??

thanks

bashini Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1574 of 25877

Hi mrsspider, these mini cakes are so much harder to make. Especialy decorating them. And I would recommend Alan Silverwood multi tins to bake them. I know they are expencive but they are really good.

I would personaly charge between £10 - £15 (depending on the decoration), but worth checking the going rate in your area. And I would use individual clear plastic boxes to display them.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1575 of 25877

I'm in East London! (Essex really, but we won't talk about that!)
I'm just about ready to go into business now. I've been baking for almost a year, I feel confident in charging people for my work now and am ready to take it to the next level. My only problem is that I'm a council tenant so I cannot run my business from my home. Luckily mummy said I can use her kitchen! Hopefully she'll clean up after me when I use it too! Ha ha!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1576 of 25877
Quote:

Thanks Davwattie thumbs_up.gif , I don't mind too much if the chocolate paste is more expensive, its just that I know I cannot put a fondant covered cake in the fridge, and the fact that it will have ganache in it, I was a bit worried about it not being in a cool enough place, I will be baking the cake on Thursday, filling and possible torting (not decided about that yet) or covering with chocolate paste on Friday then I need it to sort harden before hand painting with dust colour mixed with cocoa butter. I am wanting to paint the 'les mis' girl on the cake. any further help or ideas much appreciatd. icon_wink.gif

If you make sure you cover in ganache really well right down to the board and the same with the fondant then it kind of seals the cake so it stays nice and moist longer which will give you time to get the picture done on top thumbs_up.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:52am
post #1577 of 25877

Thanks Davwattie, I usually put the cake on a board the same size and then cover the board as well to give more height, then place on another board for decoration, will it be ok to cover the first board with the ganache before putting the covering fondant on? icon_confused.gif

wizzywig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wizzywig Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:34pm
post #1578 of 25877

hi, can i ask, where did you all learn how to cover a cake, sugarpaste techniques, etc? did people take courses or learn through trial and error?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1579 of 25877

Youtube!! I'm still learning, the only one I can work with at the minute is regalice. I'm currently in discussions with Jennifer Dontz about ordering her DVD so I can make her fondant. I've heard good reviews.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1580 of 25877

Hi wizziwig, I'm a bit of an old bird! (ha! ha!) icon_lol.gif and really only got hooked in hobby cake baking and decorating over the past couple of years, I've always enjoyed baking but have learnt more about the decorating skills etc. from books, youtube, tv etc. I have only taken one course at college for basic royal icing skills (but the tutor was absolutely definitely 'winging it' and was sacked at the end of teaching our course (which was his first and last!). one of the best books I have bought was from amazon called 'The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating' and this has been really helpful, but also CC is amazingly helpful. icon_wink.gif

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #1581 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzywig

hi, can i ask, where did you all learn how to cover a cake, sugarpaste techniques, etc? did people take courses or learn through trial and error?

Hi, I've watched lots of Youtube videos, because I am a visual learner. That has helped me a lot. But I have perchased many cake dcorating books. Also I have Sugarshack's DVD's which I've learnt lot of techniques. And most of all practice, practice & practice!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #1582 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzywig

Hi there I did courses - 3 diplomas in total but I think I'll always still be learning. there aren't many places out there that can teach you to carve a car and ice it etc so its just keep practising . I still learn lots from on line and videos and people on here too. Whenever I see something I want to learn I look it up on line and have a trial - gotta luv the internet for that icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1583 of 25877

On another note talking of learning.. can any of you UK bakers help me out here please. I've been asked about doing these 2 tier mini cakes (its the top one - white with red piped dots) http://www.topweddingcakes.co.cc/2010/11/best-mini-wedding-cakes-pics.html.

Can anyone help me out here on pricing for vanilla sponge. they are going to have a sugar flower on each one and piped dots as in picture but I don't know where to start on cost I've never done 2 tier minis. There are going to be 50! They are each going to be in their own individual box too. Appreciate if anyone has a guide price for me.

Also if anyone has done any of these any tips appreciated. I know what a right royal pain icing just single tier mini cakes are!!! icon_smile.gif thanks all

LisaPeps Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1584 of 25877

That link doesn't work, can you post another one?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 7:46pm
post #1585 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

That link doesn't work, can you post another one?

Hi Lisa
does this one work? Its a blog under November and best mini wedding cakes pics

http://www.topweddingcakes.co.cc/

thank u

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1586 of 25877

Blimey they're lovely. What sizes are the tiers?

If it were me, I would literally cost it for ingredients/boxes etc, and then add on your mark up for time. Mini cakes are a pain in the a***, particularly that many!

Good luck x

LisaPeps Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1587 of 25877

They're really pretty, but they'll be a PITA! I would say £8-£10 each at the least!

I googled "mini cake prices" and most the sites came up with £5 minimum but that was single tier and without the flowers.

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:00am
post #1588 of 25877

Oh wow, those mini cakes are gorgeous!
I started making cakes, just to see if I could! I thoroughly enjoyed mny first few and soon people were asking me to create all kinds of things. I did a mini course before xmas where I made the blue & white xmas cake in my photos and I'm doing a mini course again now covering swags and frills amd we're also making a shoe and just trying out different techniques. The classes are small and quite personal so she tailors the lessons to cover what we'd like to learn.

bashini Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:46am
post #1589 of 25877

I would definitely charge between £15-£20. As others mentioned, they are very time consuming to decorate. And don't forget these are two tiers. So you need more time than the normal single tiered ones. Also the clear boxes don't come cheap either!

good Luck! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

June_m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
June_m Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:22am
post #1590 of 25877

Hey guy! There was a thread on the cake decorating forum about cake with prices based in America
I've started a new one for cake prices for those in the uk, I get confused about what to charge as Americans go by slice x

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-712966.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%