A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

oyamary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oyamary Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:08am
post #1681 of 25877

dayti thank you for the information. I will check them out. In general shipping anything to Turkey is expensive so I would like to order them to the UK. Its alot easier to put them in a suitcase and bring them over.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:24pm
post #1682 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

You are welcome! icon_smile.gif

Hi Bashini

still waiting for my logon details from BSG so I can't get to the recipe - do you have it to hand please at all? I looked at the recipe on here but i don't want to have to do conversions and it all got complicated lol

thank you

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1683 of 25877

Sorry allaboutcakeuk, thought you could access it. But here is the recipe.

4 oz/125 g butter
4 oz/125 g golden syrup
4 oz/125 g marshmallows
approx 7 oz/200 g rice krispies

Melt the butter, syrup and marshmallows together then stir in the rice krispies.

Spread evenly in a greased Swiss roll tin, press down well and leave for a few hours or overnight to set.

When hardened this can be cut/squished into shape, useful if you're modelling something that needs to be lightweight.

They also make an easy traybake for kids - melt some white and milk chocolate and drizzle over the top for presentation.

I had a look at your website and your cakes are just beautiful!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif If you don't mind could I ask you how you get the sharp edges on your cakes please?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1684 of 25877

[quote="bashini"]Sorry allaboutcakeuk, thought you could access it. But here is the recipe.

4 oz/125 g butter
4 oz/125 g golden syrup
4 oz/125 g marshmallows
approx 7 oz/200 g rice krispies

Melt the butter, syrup and marshmallows together then stir in the rice krispies.

Spread evenly in a greased Swiss roll tin, press down well and leave for a few hours or overnight to set.

When hardened this can be cut/squished into shape, useful if you're modelling something that needs to be lightweight.

They also make an easy traybake for kids - melt some white and milk chocolate and drizzle over the top for presentation.

I had a look at your website and your cakes are just beautiful!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif If you don't mind could I ask you how you get the sharp edges on your cakes please?[/quote

Thank you so much I just made a batch its in the tray - i greased tray i hope i can get them out man that stuff is like super glue!!! I have tractor wheels to make lord help me. Not sure how i'm gonna get the tread yet.

Ah thank you so much. I use a method whereby when you smooth the top I hold one smoother flat on top and one on the side and kind of push the 2 together working round the edges. it really gives it a sharp edge. Easier than it sounds when I explain it! Also after I run round one of the Edgers smoothers. they do a really good range - i use the prestige sharp top edger http://www.edgers.co.uk/new_html/productsmain_online_new.html. it really finishes it off well after i do the "squidging" thing as I put it lol. Don't overdo the pushing together action as you can stretch the sugarpaste too much. Hope this helps. Maybe I should do a little video as a few people asked that - including my tutor ha ha icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #1685 of 25877

Thanks for that allaboutcake. icon_smile.gif I have one of those edges things. not sure whether its the particular one you mentioned. When I do that can see the mark of the edger. Maybe I am not using it properly. I would like to see how its done allaboutcake! icon_biggrin.gif

heaven_khan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heaven_khan Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:05am
post #1686 of 25877

hi allaboutcake

indeed you've got some really pretty ones in your photos
Can you tell how you put the diamante trim on, how did you attach that?
thanks for sharing the info

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:54am
post #1687 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I am English, living in Spain, and own a bakery here. I order greaseproof cupcake cases from CakeCraftWorld, they also do a fairly large range of sprinkles, and other stuff. Cake and cupcake boxes I get from Cakeboxesdirect. Actually they just started doing cupcake cases too. Both companies have great customer service and the shipping charges are fair. The boxes, if you get enough for a pallet full, work out very reasonable. If you only buy a small selection, the shipping charges are very large. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I've bought boxes off CakeCraftWorld and they were great quality, and the shipping was cheaper than anywhere else. I was thinking of buying the couple of thousand coloured cupcake cases they have advertised.....would you recommend their cases?

Thanks

MsMimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMimi Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:58am
post #1688 of 25877

I am currently in the process of setting up my own cake business. I make cakes and cupcakes for family and have been encouraged to start selling them.

I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

Firstly, do you get the majority of your orders via facebook or through your own website? A website is something that I wouldn't have up and running for at least another month or 2, but I would like to get up and running asap. Also how would you take payment via facebook?

Also I'm thinking of delivering for free within a certain radius of my own address as I don't feel too comfortable having people turn up at my house to pick up their order. How feasible is this? Would it be unreasonable to charge a pound or two for delivery?

I am having some confidence issues also! I am a good cook, I have all the equipment I need and I even have prospective clients. I just can't seem to find that something in me to stop thinking it through and actually do it.

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:28pm
post #1689 of 25877

Hi MsMimi, welcome to the thread. icon_smile.gif

I have a paid advert on Yell.com and they have a link to my website. I get lot of orders via that. Also through word of mouth/recommendation. I have loads of returning customers, which is realy nice. icon_biggrin.gif

I deliver and set up cakes only for weddings. Don't do many deliveries for b'day cakes, unless its really needed by the customer. I would charge £1 per mile when delivering.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

heaven_khan Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1690 of 25877

hi

what size cupcake pan do you all of you use when baking cupcakes.
the standard size which I bought yesterday, is more a fairy cake size, but I think it's too small for serving this at a party, IMO, so what would be the next size up, the one I bought measures 6.5cm diameter, is 28cm high and 5.0cm across base, I also bought the liners from asda, but they were too big as I bought the muffin cases, and they measure 8cm dia, 4cm high and 5.0 across base, so I think I need to buy the tin that goes with the muffin cases, will this make it a large cupcake.
But any idea where I can buy this size tin.

Also lets try some "groceries" tips
like where do you buy your baking products from, prices etc.

One thing I really would like to know, which icing sugar do all of you use, I really have bad experience with silver spoon icing sugar as it never dissolves when making buttercream leaving it very grainy/gritty.
So anyone tried tate&lyle one, which is pure cane sugar.

Any tips on working with the flavored yogurts from asda, good recipes or so for fillings???l

And so on .....

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #1691 of 25877

Hi heaven_khan, I have a muffin tin and use muffin cases for my cupcakes. When customers order cupcakes, they think it fairycakes size. But I explain its the muffin size that I use.

I use tate&lyle icing sugar.

Never tried adding other yoghurts or pudding mixes to my cakes.

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #1692 of 25877

I use tate and Lyleand havent had a problem...

Another issue I am facing is where to buy cake boards to use in between cake tiers? Do you just buy normal single thick cake boards? So far I have been buying carboard and cutting it to size before covering with cling flim but it's a time taking nightmare!

thanks
sam
xxx

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1693 of 25877

Hi Sam, I use 3mm silver cake boards. icon_smile.gif

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #1694 of 25877

heaven_khan

I tried the silver spoon icing sugar once and its awful Id never use it again.

I also use muffin tins and cases for my cupcakes.

When buying cake boards make sure you buy the thinner ones as the other poster recommended.

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1695 of 25877

I use Morrisons own which i sift, never had a problem. Will give u a lumpy texture if not sifted though.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1696 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_khan

hi

what size cupcake pan do you all of you use when baking cupcakes.
the standard size which I bought yesterday, is more a fairy cake size, but I think it's too small for serving this at a party, IMO, so what would be the next size up, the one I bought measures 6.5cm diameter, is 28cm high and 5.0cm across base, I also bought the liners from asda, but they were too big as I bought the muffin cases, and they measure 8cm dia, 4cm high and 5.0 across base, so I think I need to buy the tin that goes with the muffin cases, will this make it a large cupcake.
But any idea where I can buy this size tin.

Also lets try some "groceries" tips
like where do you buy your baking products from, prices etc.

One thing I really would like to know, which icing sugar do all of you use, I really have bad experience with silver spoon icing sugar as it never dissolves when making buttercream leaving it very grainy/gritty.
So anyone tried tate&lyle one, which is pure cane sugar.

Have you tried TKmaxx for a cupcake/muffin tray they have lots of different sizes & also not that expensive. I saw a muffin tray the other day that was really big & deep.

I use Tate & Lyle. It is very fine & I never sift & don't get lumps. I find Aldi or Lidl the cheapest at 54p for 500g. They're also cheapest on caster sugar at 89p a kg.

heaven_khan Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1697 of 25877

I will try TKmaxx, thanks

Oh so it's not only me who's having problems with silver spoon, honestly I've never had one single yummy batch of buttercream, just because I can't manage to get it smooth, but the only place I can buy tate&lyle is in Makro and that's in bulk, but I will defo go for that now.

I also use the single thick boards and buy them bulk from Cake Stuff
I get my other supplies from there as well, they are quit cheap compared to others.

I've bought castor sugar and soft brown sugar from Aldi I think, or might be Lidl but never seen icing sugar actually, I'll have a look tho'

Which chocolate do you all find the best either for ganache or baking and cocoa powder as well....I use cadbury's and for the chocolates, I like Lidl's.

Has anyone ever tried a ready made chocolate mousse as filling, one that holds and does not go flat.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:37am
post #1698 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Thanks for that allaboutcake. icon_smile.gif I have one of those edges things. not sure whether its the particular one you mentioned. When I do that can see the mark of the edger. Maybe I am not using it properly. I would like to see how its done allaboutcake! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah Bashini I do find if pressing too hard you get a mark sometimes but I just run a regular smoother over that after. Maybe I should do a little demo then icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:40am
post #1699 of 25877
Quote:

hi allaboutcake

indeed you've got some really pretty ones in your photos
Can you tell how you put the diamante trim on, how did you attach that?
thanks for sharing the info

Hi Heaven I just do as regular ribbon I put a little blob of RI on one end - leave it to set a little then wrap the trim round and back to the start and secure with another little blob of RI works a treat. that trim is fiddly as it has the links so its good to let the first bit of RI set first so you can make sure the trim goes round evenly and is straight

always happy to help icon_biggrin.gif

Davwattie Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:05am
post #1700 of 25877

[quote="heaven_khan Which chocolate do you all find the best either for ganache or baking and cocoa powder as well....I use cadbury's and for the chocolates, I like Lidl's.

Has anyone ever tried a ready made chocolate mousse as filling, one that holds and does not go flat.[/quote]

I buy Asda smartprice dark chocolate to make my ganache and it's delicious! it actually has more % cocoa than the more expensive brands icon_eek.gif they dont do white choc for some reason but Sainsburys do the dark and white in their basics range

Got to make a profit anywhere you can lol

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:46am
post #1701 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

I buy Asda smartprice dark chocolate to make my ganache and it's delicious! it actually has more % cocoa than the more expensive brands icon_eek.gif

Is that true for Lidl too or just the mainstream supermarkets/within Asda?
What % cocoa do you think is the best for ganache? I made some at the weekend with Lidl chocolate. It was really tasty but I had had to mix the %s because I didnt have enough of one but also didnt know what would have been the best %. Any thoughts?

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:10am
post #1702 of 25877

allaboutcakeuk, looking forward to your demo! icon_biggrin.gif

heaven_khan, I used to make ganache with Bourneville from sainsbury's. There is no Lidl or Asda near where I live. But last year I bought Callebaut and now I use that. SAying that, I don't do lot of chocolate cakes! icon_smile.gif

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:18am
post #1703 of 25877

another question for those registred with their council, apart from registering witht he Environmental Health as a food business, did you have to inform the Planning department of your intention to change your home use into business? how does that work, do they come around to check too? i know you would have to inform your mortgage provided about it, does anyone have experience of that?

trackfrower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trackfrower Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:15am
post #1704 of 25877

Hi, Just wanted to say hello!!

I have spent the last few days just reading through this thread! Its great to have one just for the Brits!!

Loving it!

monbebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monbebe Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:52pm
post #1705 of 25877

Can you tell me a store with flavors for confectionery cakes, biscuits and butter cream. I would like to have e-shop to order from Greece..
And if you suggest me a favorite flavors and combinations.
Thank you.

heaven_khan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #1706 of 25877

I always use a bit of milk choc. with the dark choc. to make ganache, because I find it a tad bit tooo bitter for the dark choc. if used alone, so that makes a nice taste.

I'm gonna get really busy doing my dummies, just need to work on designs, what colors do you guys think are really gonna be in for this year.
That's for the cakes of course.... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh before I forget, I always make my cakes from scratch, but just wondering if any of you use any sponge cake mix which is really good,
we don't have the duncan hines ones here, so has anyone ever tried a uk brand cake mix. Makes live a bit easier, than always measuring out your ingredients icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:28pm
post #1707 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by monbebe

Can you tell me a store with flavors for confectionery cakes, biscuits and butter cream. I would like to have e-shop to order from Greece..
And if you suggest me a favorite flavors and combinations.
Thank you.

Sweet Successs do sponge cake/ fruit cake/cake mixes and fillings. I have tasted their sponges and they nice. But I prefer the taste of cakes made from scratch.

http://www.sweetsuccess.uk.com/vshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=2&cat=Sponge+Cakes

Davwattie Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1708 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

another question for those registred with their council, apart from registering witht he Environmental Health as a food business, did you have to inform the Planning department of your intention to change your home use into business? how does that work, do they come around to check too? i know you would have to inform your mortgage provided about it, does anyone have experience of that?

Im pretty sure if you are just working from home you dont have to get planning permission to change to a business. If you were turning your home into a full on bakery then that is a different matter and you would have to apply for a change of use and if they passed it would charge you business rates for your council tax.

Loads of people work from home nowadays, more office type work but they dont have to get planning permission.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1709 of 25877
Quote:

I always use a bit of milk choc. with the dark choc. to make ganache, because I find it a tad bit tooo bitter for the dark choc. if used alone, so that makes a nice taste.

I'm gonna get really busy doing my dummies, just need to work on designs, what colors do you guys think are really gonna be in for this year.
That's for the cakes of course.... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh before I forget, I always make my cakes from scratch, but just wondering if any of you use any sponge cake mix which is really good,
we don't have the duncan hines ones here, so has anyone ever tried a uk brand cake mix. Makes live a bit easier, than always measuring out your ingredients icon_biggrin.gif

Is it for wedding cakes? Id wait until you see William and Kates cake and go with that style and colour! icon_lol.gif Otherwise bold colours are in for clothesI dont know if the trends follow.

I used a Jamican cake mix I found in Tesco the one and only time I baked with a cake mix. I had been very curious to try cake mixes with all the talk of them on here, half I left plain and the other half of the mix I put in strawberry Angel Delight. They turned out ok, perfectly edible but not like scratch cake. They tasted like mediocre shop bought cakes although the strawberry layer had a really nice (if artificial) strawberry smell. If you put tons of other ingredients in too you might get it to be tasty but then you might as well just measure out the ingredients you would have used in the first case icon_smile.gif I think Ill stick with my scratch baking!

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1710 of 25877

thanks Davwattie for your reply, you are right as I actually called up my planning permission dept and spoke to the officer there. He said, as you say, you wouldn't need to get consent from them unless you were going to use specialist industrial equipment and be making lots of orders every day and basically turning the main use of your property from residential to commercial. so that's one less thing to worry about.

i'm still not sure I am going to go ahead but I am trying to do all the prep and work out setting up costs etc as if I am.

i've always wondered about mixes too as they seem to be so popular on this board, but I haven't used any. i love trying out new recipes and making little adjustments, that's part of the fun for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%