A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 8:06am
post #16201 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

I love ticking things off the list! icon_wink.gif

Do you tick them off or cross them through?

I'm a cross them through kind of girl.  I get great satisfaction from it.

But I'm also a bit OCD about writing lists...  if they're not really neat, I'll get a new piece of paper and start again.  And if anyone dares to write on my list (ie to add to it) I will get a new piece of paper and start again. 

I'm odd.  I have so many little foibles like that!

Oh, and DO NOT write on my calender.  I don't throw that away, but there is a chance I could turn into screaming ***** mother from hell. :wink:8-O:-D

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 8:18am
post #16202 of 25877

AHa ha ha, Suzanne, that made me chuckle," some Herbert"

No need to guess what my surname is!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, not offended honestly.xx

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 8:43am
post #16203 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Mel37

Morning All!

Tiddy so glad to see you back, sorry things haven't been going great for you, but hoping you are ok. X Good luck at doctors, I hope they can help, surgery is scary (I've had at least 4 operations!) but if it can help ease things it might be worth it. Looovely cake as well, that's an idea I've wanted to do too, it's beautiful!

Love your cake too Siany! The pleated tier looks great combined with the lace and bright pink!

Kuuushi your Minnie cake is too cute! Good luck with the transport!

Hi everyone else! :)

Hi Danielle, for my BC I use 1:2 butter and icing sugar, but I don't add milk, just flavouring. I always sift icing sugar so that might help you, as you will get little lumps otherwise. I also beat mine in my stand mixer with the K beater on slow/med speed for at least 5mins. That gets it nice and fluffy but without loads of big air bubbles. HTH :)

I had another go at SMBC yesterday, this time for cupcakes! I really like the 'airiness' but not sure the flavour is quite as nice as BC...! They disappeared pretty quickly though and no complaints from my test subjects! :grin:

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3276734/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

Oh my that looks so smooth and creamy. I think I may have to make some next week to try with Jeans chocolate cake recipe, speaking of which, anyone know where Jean is? Haven't seen her for a while.

[quote name="Relznik" url="/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/16170#post_7543561"]Do you tick them off or cross them through?

But I'm also a bit OCD about writing lists...  if they're not really neat, I'll get a new piece of paper and start again.  And if anyone dares to write on my list (ie to add to it) I will get a new piece of paper and start again. 

I'm odd.  I have so many little foibles like that! Oh, and DO NOT write on my calender.  I don't throw that away, but there is a chance I could turn into screaming ***** mother from hell. :wink: 8O :D

I like a list and I'm a cross it out kinda girl, putting a big fat line through it is very satisfying:)

Tiddy cakes looking good so far.

Daniella? (sorry can't scroll up to check if that right). Don't use trex, there is no need to. The ladies have given some great advice. I would also add that president butter makes N awesome buttercream and it's very white when beaten. Also try paddling you buttercream for a bit before putting it on to eliminate some of the air.

I am stupidly happy about being in favourites, I was quite drunk last night when I saw so I did happy dance when I found out. Had all my best people over for a BBQ and drinks for my birthday, it's was a brill night. Hanging a bit this morning though.

newstreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newstreet Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:06am
post #16204 of 25877

ALol nanny :D

Yep I thought as much, just trying to figure out cake delivery, hair, make up and wedding breakfast timings!!

danielle1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielle1986 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:07am
post #16205 of 25877

AThanks you've all been really helpful. Can't wait to try my next batch. I'll have the smoothest buttercream thanks to you guys :-)

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:12am
post #16206 of 25877

A

Original message sent by danielle1986

Thanks everyone. I've used a half fat half butter recipe and then double of icing sugar. Think it was 250g fat (tree), 250g butter (sainsburys own) and 1kg icing sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 4 tablespoons milk. That cake is amazing you are very talented tiddylicious.

Hi Danielle,

Welcome along. I agree with the others, it is all down to the mixing. I'll confess to not sifting my icing sugar, but I mix it with the K beater for a long time. 5-10 minutes until it is as smooth as smooth can be. Then a lot of patience when applying, use an edge scraper and for the final top scrape/smooth, I heat my metal edge scraper under the hot tap slightly, dry it and then scrape. Generally gives me a semi-perfect finish, although never as perfect as they seem to get on the cake shows I watch. I imagine witchcraft is involved there! ;)

m4rvelgeek Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:16am
post #16207 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Do you tick them off or cross them through?

I'm odd.  I have so many little foibles like that! Oh, and DO NOT write on my calender.  I don't throw that away, but there is a chance I could turn into screaming ***** mother from hell. :wink: 8O :D

I'm a line througher! So satisfying.

I have many MANY foibles - I have OCPD - google it for more info, so have to be in control all the time or genuine panic ensues. Everything has to be perfect all the time and silly things, like handwriting, the condition of my diary, etc, all full foul of my control freakness.

m4rvelgeek Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:19am
post #16208 of 25877

AIt amuses me that you're all so anti-Trex. I first used it for a vegan cake and I have to say, I think you can get some good results with it. My BFF is American and much prefers an all-Crisco/Trex frosting and I think either can be lovely so long as you get the flavouring right. I'll always be a ganache man myself though...

Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:24am
post #16209 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Ha ha ha, Suzanne, that made me chuckle," some Herbert"

No need to guess what my surname is!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, not offended honestly.xx

Ground open up and swallow me!!!!

It's a phrase my dad uses...  although, drop the H... 

Sorry.  :oops::oops::oops:

Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:30am
post #16210 of 25877

Quote:

I'm a line througher! So satisfying.

I have many MANY foibles - I have OCPD - google it for more info, so have to be in control all the time or genuine panic ensues. Everything has to be perfect all the time and silly things, like handwriting, the condition of my diary, etc, all full foul of my control freakness.

I've just looked it up and like so many people, I definitely don't have that but I  see a few traits that I can relate to (eg, if my list isn't neat, because I don't like my handwriting, I will do it again.)  Likewise, I've been known to completely strip a cake and start again because I was unhappy with it.  That's not to say my cakes are perfect, but I will do them to the absolutely best of MY ability.

How does the OCPD manifest when you're working?  What age group do you teach? 

I admire teachers....  I've volunteered and worked with children of all ages.  It's most definitely not my calling!!

Children are like farts - you only really like your own!  :wink: (yeah there are a few exceptions with kids, but otherwise, it's a fair generalisation!)

m4rvelgeek Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:35am
post #16211 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Relznik

I've just looked it up and like so many people, I definitely don't have that but I  see a few traits that I can relate to (eg, if my list isn't neat, because I don't like my handwriting, I will do it again.)  Likewise, I've been known to completely strip a cake and start again because I was unhappy with it.  That's not to say my cakes are perfect, but I will do them to the absolutely best of MY ability.

How does the OCPD manifest when you're working?  What age group do you teach? 

I admire teachers....  I've volunteered and worked with children of all ages.  It's most definitely not my calling!!

Children are like farts - you only [I][B]really[/B][/I] like your own!  :wink: (yeah there are a few exceptions with kids, but otherwise, it's a fair generalisation!)

I think it actually makes me a better teacher in the most part, because I am organised, efficient, my marking is usually seen as the standard to aim for (although I spend way too long on it) and so on, but I do find 'out of my control' lessons like art, DT, science experiments, etc. hard. I have to force myself to stay calm and go with the flow...

Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:40am
post #16212 of 25877

Quote:

I think it actually makes me a better teacher in the most part, because I am organised, efficient, my marking is usually seen as the standard to aim for (although I spend way too long on it) and so on, but I do find 'out of my control' lessons like art, DT, science experiments, etc. hard. I have to force myself to stay calm and go with the flow...
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:47am
post #16213 of 25877

AMorning all. :-)

I laughed out loud at your Herbert comment Suzanne, I already knew Nanny's surname! :-D

Cake's looking good tiddy, I so would not have the patience!

Hi Danielle, good buttercream advice but I have to admit to never sifting my icing sugar either. And it is a bit bubbly sometimes but not enough to bother me. I use all butter (dragon for me too Kuuushi, it's gone down to £1 in tesco's, permanent new price I think). And I bought the sugar flair whitener, used it once and hated it. It left a greasy film on my bowl and it didn't get the bc white, white either. Oh and I don't know if you use a stand mixer but I use my beater not my whisk.

Shame about the wedding reception m4rvel but glad you had a good time. Sometimes those sort of nights are the best nights aren't they. And I have t googled copd yet but I have to say I feel a bit sorry for your pupils! And how do you put up with our abbreviations, typo's, bad punctuation, spelling, grammar etc?! Don't you want to correct all our posts? :-D

I love lists! I mean really love lists. I'm a put a line through girl but at Christmas I have a tick and line through system- you're all intrigued now aren't you?! Tick when the present is bought, line through when it's wrapped, highlighter pen line through when it's delivered. I even have a list titled "last list" at Christmas. It rarely is the last list tho. I was stressing one year and my husband said "sit down, I'll make you a cuppa and you can write a list of all your lists!" when he started speaking I thought he was genuinely trying to help, by the time he'd finished and I realised he was taking the mick he was too far away from me to catch!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:55am
post #16214 of 25877

Morning

Tiddy cake is looking great, hope your doing ok.

Mel cupcakes look delish

Danielle welcome to the thread, I use the same ratio of butter to icing sugar as everyone else and never sieve my icing sugar as Like Marvel I use the k beater on my stand mixer and beat it well, If I need to thin it I use a few drops of warm water. Hope you manage to sort it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Morning all. icon_smile.gif

I laughed out loud at your Herbert comment Suzanne, I already knew Nanny's surname! icon_biggrin.gif

Cake's looking good tiddy, I so would not have the patience!

Hi Danielle, good buttercream advice but I have to admit to never sifting my icing sugar either. And it is a bit bubbly sometimes but not enough to bother me. I use all butter (dragon for me too Kuuushi, it's gone down to £1 in tesco's, permanent new price I think). And I bought the sugar flair whitener, used it once and hated it. It left a greasy film on my bowl and it didn't get the bc white, white either. Oh and I don't know if you use a stand mixer but I use my beater not my whisk.

Shame about the wedding reception m4rvel but glad you had a good time. Sometimes those sort of nights are the best nights aren't they. And I have t googled copd yet but I have to say I feel a bit sorry for your pupils! And how do you put up with our abbreviations, typo's, bad punctuation, spelling, grammar etc?! Don't you want to correct all our posts? icon_biggrin.gif

I love lists! I mean really love lists. I'm a put a line through girl but at Christmas I have a tick and line through system- you're all intrigued now aren't you?! Tick when the present is bought, line through when it's wrapped, highlighter pen line through when it's delivered. I even have a list titled "last list" at Christmas. It rarely is the last list tho. I was stressing one year and my husband said "sit down, I'll make you a cuppa and you can write a list of all your lists!" when he started speaking I thought he was genuinely trying to help, by the time he'd finished and I realised he was taking the mick he was too far away from me to catch!

I bet Marvel cringes when he sees my bad spelling and puncuation. That made me laugh Maisie about your husband telling you to make a list of all your lists :lol:

Marvel sorry to hear they cancelled the party and your cake didn't get used but at least it didn't go to was and you had a good night. I'm sure all you friends were delighted to be able to dig to the cake :D

maisie73 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 9:57am
post #16215 of 25877

AOMG m4rvel! I've just read all about my husband!

Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 10:07am
post #16216 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisie73 

I love lists! I mean really love lists. I'm a put a line through girl but at Christmas I have a tick and line through system- you're all intrigued now aren't you?! Tick when the present is bought, line through when it's wrapped, highlighter pen line through when it's delivered.

YES, YES, YES. 

OMG!  This is exactly what I'd do.

EXCEPT - now, I do a table in Word.  I have one column with the names of everyone I need to write gifts for.

In the next column I write the gift.

And if it's a joint gifts (like the year we bought the boys the X Box) then,  yes, I merge the cells!

Then the third column is for how much it costs (I just like to keep a note of what I'm spending).

The fourth column has the heading 'Bought'.

The last column has the heading 'Wrapped'.

I then tick when it's bought / wrapped.

However, if I've been out and done most of my shopping but not all of it, I will then highlight what I still need to purchase.

Oh I feel like I've come home....  my husband thinks I'm completely potty!  But now I'm amongst my own kind of people!

maisie73 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 10:22am
post #16217 of 25877

AHahaha! Lmao Suzanne, I'm nearly wetting myself here!!! :-D I don't think anything could replace good old pen and paper for me tho.

M4rvel I've read you don't have to have every trait to have ocpd, my husband isn't a hoarder (but that's cos "stuff" interferes with his clean, tidy, orderly obsession, and actually he does hoard some things come to think about it). He's not a list writer but I think he has a list in his mind that's he's constantly aware of. Apart from that it's him to a tee. We rib him about his "OCD" all the time but it is only ribbing cos he doesn't do strange things like locking doors 17 times or switching lights on and off. He always says he hasn't got OCD he just likes things done properly. Blimey I could write pages here now, It was like reading a description of my husband, I couldn't believe it!

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 10:38am
post #16218 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relznik 

Ground open up and swallow me!!!!

It's a phrase my dad uses...  although, drop the H... 

Sorry.  :oops::oops::oops:

haha nanny, its a london thing! I use it all the time...."which little herbert has had my......., or hes a right little herbert".

I dont think i am going to get much done today :( sitting here on the o2 as we speak! Just cant shake it and no bloody jabs left. I was up really late caking and felt good so carried on as i knew the minute i went to sleep it would strike. Finally gave in just after 2am and by 3 was up in agony and have been ever since. Cant believe the meds have stopped working and im getting daytime attacks. Will try to get to the docs tomorrow if i get a pain free moment :sad:

Could do with it doing one as i really need to get the dummy done but that aside ive a carved spiderman to start too :cry:

roxylee123 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 12:22pm
post #16219 of 25877

Awww Tiddy you poor thing, can't the emergency doctor bring you some jabs out or something? Have you stopped taking cake orders now as the attacks are so bad? When do you see nuero?

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:54pm
post #16220 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

haha nanny, its a london thing! I use it all the time...."which little herbert has had my......., or hes a right little herbert".

I dont think i am going to get much done today :( sitting here on the o2 as we speak! Just cant shake it and no bloody jabs left. I was up really late caking and felt good so carried on as i knew the minute i went to sleep it would strike. Finally gave in just after 2am and by 3 was up in agony and have been ever since. Cant believe the meds have stopped working and im getting daytime attacks. Will try to get to the docs tomorrow if i get a pain free moment :sad:

Could do with it doing one as i really need to get the dummy done but that aside ive a carved spiderman to start too :cry:

Haha - definitely in my dictionary too! Sorry you are still suffering Tiddy - sending you hugs.  I loved your cake by the way.

Here's our silhouette effort for yesterday:

Obviously photographed before the panic about the name being wrong!  Hey ho. This was my daughter's first attempt at a stacked cake.  I provided moral support, all the tools and colours and artistic direction!  Lol.  She did allow me to make the tiny blossoms and the RKT for the ring cushion.  I made one but she thought it was too small!  The proposal happened in front of the castle in Disneyland Paris.  I want to thank everyone for all their support while we were getting this done - Lizzy and Suzanne - the Culpitt gems were so much better than the isomalt ones we made.

By the way..... I do my lists in Excel - I hyperlink and everything......:-D

Kathy

Tiddylicious Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm
post #16221 of 25877

ANo foxy, they have to be ordered in :) Feeling bit of relief now so have gone in the cake room to take my mind off it. If I sit down I may fall asleep then it will start again so can't do that grr!

Its been a while now so im just hoping this cycle is almost over and I will be ok fir the next two years god willing!

On a lighter note....ive added my third tier and am just about to gazillion blossom it......was seriously thinking about piping all the centres (yup I know) and then entering it for C.I wedding cake comp :) what do we all think? If I do it means I can't add a picture on the tinternet so maybe when its done I can show you all quick and remove it...mmmm

Tiddylicious Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:58pm
post #16222 of 25877

AThat is fab Kathy! Want to do one soon :)

What did you cover the rkt with before sp? I've made some up for spidermans head and was going to cover with white choc.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 2:03pm
post #16223 of 25877

Thanks Tiddy!  Just SP - Tesco's own!  (An emergency purchase Lol).  I imagine white chocolate would go nicely though. 

Kathy

roxylee123 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:36pm
post #16224 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

No foxy, they have to be ordered in icon_smile.gif
Feeling bit of relief now so have gone in the cake room to take my mind off it. If I sit down I may fall asleep then it will start again so can't do that grr!

Its been a while now so im just hoping this cycle is almost over and I will be ok fir the next two years god willing!

On a lighter note....ive added my third tier and am just about to gazillion blossom it......was seriously thinking about piping all the centres (yup I know) and then entering it for C.I wedding cake comp icon_smile.gif what do we all think? If I do it means I can't add a picture on the tinternet so maybe when its done I can show you all quick and remove it...mmmm

Hope so Tiddy, Big hugs xxx

You should definitely enter the cake into the wedding competition, maybe you could Pm photo's so your not breaking the rules or something. Are you doing the spiderman head and shoulders Tiddy?

Kathy the silhouette cake turned out fab, you and your daughter must be so pleased,

Relznik Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:45pm
post #16225 of 25877

The cake is gorgeous!!!! 

And going back to little 'foibles' I like to buy a box of 15 eggs, rather than 6 or 12 - because I HAVE to move the eggs around so that the 'pattern' is symmetrical once I've used any.  And it's easier to do with a box of 15!  My husband's been known to move them around just to wind me up!

roxylee123 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:49pm
post #16226 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relznik 

The cake is gorgeous!!!! 

And going back to little 'foibles' I like to buy a box of 15 eggs, rather than 6 or 12 - because I HAVE to move the eggs around so that the 'pattern' is symmetrical once I've used any.  And it's easier to do with a box of 15!  My husband's been known to move them around just to wind me up!

:lol:

Tiddylicious Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 4:08pm
post #16227 of 25877

AGood idea! :)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 4:44pm
post #16228 of 25877

AAwww, how romantic, its lovely Kathy.

I need to know how to make Rkts.

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 6:22pm
post #16229 of 25877

ATiddy, is your cake real or dummy? Just if it's dummy I'm not sure it could be entered? From my understanding it has to be cake (unless specifically in the brief) and I know the judges cut into a lot last year to check they were actually cake. It was an eye opener walking round and seeing so many disqualified for going outside the brief. They are getting a lot more strict apparently. I could be wrong so do check but it may be that you have to make it all again to enter it. :)

Tiddylicious Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 6:28pm
post #16230 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siany01 

Tiddy, is your cake real or dummy? Just if it's dummy I'm not sure it could be entered? From my understanding it has to be cake (unless specifically in the brief) and I know the judges cut into a lot last year to check they were actually cake. It was an eye opener walking round and seeing so many disqualified for going outside the brief. They are getting a lot more strict apparently. I could be wrong so do check but it may be that you have to make it all again to enter it. icon_smile.gif

Have checked it all already and is fine. The only thing im not sure about is it has to be there early on the Friday so not sure i can now :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%