A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

newstreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newstreet Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 9:25am
post #14071 of 25877

ADays cakes yes I do have sky and never knew about the craft channel..... Never had the patience to go up that far :D. Am going to LOVE his!! I have it all set

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 9:27am
post #14072 of 25877

AMorning all, just popping in for a minute before getting my jigsaw groove on for an mdf base. Me thinks the side I cut will be at the back :-D

Brilliant cakes everyone, good luck in the challenge M4rvel!

Your little dog is adorable maisie :-)

Callebaut is my go to as well unless I can find Valhrona (which is proving tricky now that my supplier stopped stocking it :-() . I buy wholesale at about £14/2.5kg. There's a minimum order for free postage, but not for the order itself. I second not buying it from eBay though, as you don't want the American version of it, it's not as nice. Their velvet is the nicest white choc, not as sweet as normal.

Right. Jigsaw. Clean kitchen. Cake. Have fun everybody peeps. :-)

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 9:30am
post #14073 of 25877

Oh kuuushi - I do hope my Sky+ is working!  I want to watch it yet I don't now...if you get me.  I really think that Cake Wrecks site says it all.  (Did anybody look at this by the way? http://rufmatcakes.co.uk/Novelty_cakes).

Newstreet - I also bought cake lace and my daughter and I were going to have a trial run.  I want to watch it but not looking forward to the bit that kuuushi refers to.....

Kathy

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 9:58am
post #14074 of 25877

AWhat's that link Kathy?

DaysCakes Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:22am
post #14075 of 25877

It was a cake site that my daughter found - just look at the quality and the prices they charge!

Kathy

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:36am
post #14076 of 25877

AI'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that they're a bit off!

My shoe cake was a two tier and my shoe (personally I think) was miles better than that and it wasn't £90!

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:44am
post #14077 of 25877
DaysCakes Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:49am
post #14078 of 25877

I remember it kuuushi - I think that's when you first joined the thread!  It's fabulous.  My husband laughed when he saw the link - he thinks that even I could get that for my cakes!  Thanks!:x  He said that I am never going to be rich as I don't believe in myself....but isn't that a fault with all of us to some extent?  Anyway - it just goes to show that there are some people out there where we can say - I can do better than that!

Kathy

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:55am
post #14079 of 25877

AYes it was! Thanks Kathy :)

Lol my hubby2b says stuff like that all the time. I don't think they know much much it digs lol

I think the thing is we are out own worst enemies. We see imperfections where others don't and it's that which stops us from going out there and getting the big bucks! Maybe it's morals or confidence I don't know!

But I was watching an episode of amazing wedding cakes and that buttercream mark was making a hash of this cake. They had sagging sp on the bottom if the cake because it was warm and they just stuffed a wedge of it on the corner. I was like :o! Mortified I was. My mum was like what?

It goes to show that is the difference between us and cake muggles!

DaysCakes Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 11:18am
post #14080 of 25877

haha - I know what muggles are now!  (I went on the Harry Potter ride in Universal - lol!).  I think it's 50%morals and 50% confidence kuuushi!  Yes - I like to watch Cake Boss and mock .... get me!!! - mocking the master!  Just found Amazing Wedding Cakes the other day - I am a bit of a fan of the White Flower lot at the moment.  I absolutely adored their Italian leaning tower of Pisa.

Kathy

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 12:13pm
post #14081 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuushi 

This is also on freeview I think it's the create and craft channel?

I saw it back in June when it was on and ended up buying the £90 ophelia mat and sequins! Lol. She got a bit flustered when I watched her but the man presenting did my head in. He was basically saying that you don't need a designer to do your cake when you can do it yourself. I was like YEEAAAAHHHH it's the designers buying your sh!t mate, do one! Haha

We all ought to complain to that channel about the stuff the presenters say, after all we are their customers as well!!

Tiddy, good luck with all the cakes. I bet you end up selling everything!

Maisie, both dogs are adorable!

Marvel, incredible cake as always! Must have taken an age to get everything ready!

Siany, wish I had made some glaze in advance but I'd forgotten, so the first apple l made went very matte. Ah well, The other two apples were still shiny from being painted yesterday. I forgot to take photos as I was rushing this morning to get little one to school and getting the cakes all boxed and ready. 

I made a cake for the rest of the staff at the school. Choc cake with 3 layers of buttercream, one of which was raspberry, then covered in ganache. Didnt have enough time and ganache so I opted for a very artistic rough finish lol

Then little one got so upset about all the cakes that weren't hers, so I quickly rustled up an owl cake.

It's not the prettiest, Look at those manic eyes, but kept the little one happy!

Off out with teen. See you folks!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 1:08pm
post #14082 of 25877

AHi, Haven't got time to catch up properly now as trying to sort the garden but, the glaze is a spray from Pme. It's a spray can and it's called edible glaze.

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 2:57pm
post #14083 of 25877

AIf I put a teaspoon if vanilla bean paste in the sugar syrup will it be okay?

Siany01 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:00pm
post #14084 of 25877

Quote:

If I put a teaspoon if vanilla bean paste in the sugar syrup will it be okay?

yep, it'll be fine.

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:13pm
post #14085 of 25877

AThanks Siany :)

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:21pm
post #14086 of 25877

omg im sooo mad! Stressful enough day and yet another customer is late! This will be the last time I swear! Fuming I am now :x

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:22pm
post #14087 of 25877

AOh tidds how late are they?

You should charge them for a change of pick up slot if they are late. They won't be in future lol!

Tiddylicious Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:39pm
post #14088 of 25877

Theyve just been! Hour and 20 mins late! grrrr!

It was to pay the balance on a cake kuuushi. For some reason she cant use paypal. Well that'll be the last one I can tell ya! Delayed me so much! Raging head all day too :(

petitecat Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:43pm
post #14089 of 25877

Tiddy, anyone can use paypal now, even if you don't have a paypal account!

Tiddylicious Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 5:30pm
post #14090 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

Tiddy, anyone can use paypal now, even if you don't have a paypal account!

Yup! Ive been using paypal for over 10 years now but try telling her that!

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 5:45pm
post #14091 of 25877

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266885/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Crumb coated. But... It 23 degrees inside my house! Man I can't cope with this weather. Too scared to do my sp right now incase it melts in my hands! I have warm hands!

Got four 1" layers. Sponge Cream Sponge Jam Sponge Cream Sponge

Let's see if this keeps the beach happy!

DaysCakes Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 5:49pm
post #14092 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by newstreet 

Days cakes yes I do have sky and never knew about the craft channel..... Never had the patience to go up that far icon_biggrin.gif. Am going to LOVE his!! I have it all set

Sorry Newstreet - just watched it - it was a bit tedious in parts and they never even showed the sequins!  Love the coloured cake lace though.

Kathy

petitecat Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:20pm
post #14093 of 25877

ADon't know whether this is ridiculous question but should I be putting jam in my cakes as standard? When I give quotes I say this price is for sponge cake with butter cream. Now I'm wondering if people expect jam with the vanilla sponges?

Kuushi, if you have a fan turn it on full blast, anything to keep the room cool. Test a small amount of SP and see what it's like when kneaded. Good luck x

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:29pm
post #14094 of 25877

A

Original message sent by petitecat

Don't know whether this is ridiculous question but should I be putting jam in my cakes as standard? When I give quotes I say this price is for sponge cake with butter cream. Now I'm wondering if people expect jam with the vanilla sponges?

I rarely put jam in my cakes. As I understand it, it makes them spoil quicker?

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:30pm
post #14095 of 25877

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266919/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Touch wood. This is the cleanest sp I've done

kuuushi Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:32pm
post #14096 of 25877

AI put jam if requested. In this cake I've put raspberry conserve. Spoilt beach hahaha

Siany01 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:36pm
post #14097 of 25877

Quote:

Touch wood. This is the cleanest sp I've done

Cleanest?? You know we can all see the mess in the background right? :D

Looking good. Lovely colour. :)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 7:09pm
post #14098 of 25877

AJean, as standard, I offer bc and jam for the vanilla sponge and if the customer doesn't like jam, then that's fine. It will be all bc. I use to use raspberry jam and then I found that Costco sells big jars of conserve, better than jam. But you have to put through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. When I went to Costco last Sunday, they didn't't have it. So went to Sainsbury's and found that they have conserve in Taste the different range. :)

Kuuushi, your cake looking good!!! :-D

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 7:12pm
post #14099 of 25877

AYou know I always put Jam and cream in all my sponges, thought everyone did!!, ooooo, I love abit of jam and cream.

Well, I made my cake, and this is my first attempt at brush embroidery, cant show you all the cake but heres a snippet

Cakes looking good kuuushi, however had issues with my SP,grrrr[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266931/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 7:14pm
post #14100 of 25877

AOh sorry Jean, loving the cake, fab owl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%