A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:31am
post #8941 of 25877

no confectioners glaze comes in a little bottle and you paint it on, ive had mine ages and still loads left :)

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:32am
post #8942 of 25877

AHi days! *waves*

I've already spent just short of £50 in the space if me getting off moderation which was Saturday morning. Instead to think how much I will need to expand my pantry to put my new gadgets in haha!

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:33am
post #8943 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Tiddylicious

no confectioners glaze comes in a little bottle and you paint it on, ive had mine ages and still loads left :)

I meant last forever lol, sorry I have always been told that I need to explain myself and that no one can hear what's going on in my brain even though I think they can hahah!

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:34am
post #8944 of 25877

AOh poop sorry petitecat I thought you were nanny! Thanks for the recipe!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:42am
post #8945 of 25877

I forgot who was asking about mixing fondant with modelling chocolate, and I happened on this article just now:

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/09/mixing-fondant-modeling-chocolate/

It compares fondant, modelling chocolate, and 50/50 fondant and modelling choc in different ways (rolling, cutting, etc). Worth a read!

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:46am
post #8946 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Re the tree house - I have seen an excellent tutorial on YT - I think it's McGeevy or somebody.

Kathy

http://www.mcgreevycakes.com/free-tutorials/

This could be the one you mean Kathy. Lots of good stuff on this blog.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:29am
post #8947 of 25877

AThat article was really interesting, thanks for posting Petitecat.

I think I might give it a go at a slightly lower ratio of choc to paste. I have about 1.5 kilos of modelling choc left from a cake earlier this year, may as well use some of it to try this!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:38am
post #8948 of 25877

Thanks Catsmum the one I used was simlilar to that but the moulds weren't flexible when made, will try that one next time.

Bloody hell Tiddy do you live in a mansion :lol:, don't envy you cleaning all them toilets and bathrooms.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:38am
post #8949 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

Hi days! *waves*

I've already spent just short of £50 in the space if me getting off moderation which was Saturday morning. Instead to think how much I will need to expand my pantry to put my new gadgets in haha!

Haha!  I'll see your £50 and raise you by £200!  That's roughly  how much I have spent on here since I joined in March.  Ebay love me.  It's all Nanny's fault! ;)

Jean - that was really useful - I have printed a copy out for my folder of neat tricks!

Kathy

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:40am
post #8950 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmum 

http://www.mcgreevycakes.com/free-tutorials/

This could be the one you mean Kathy. Lots of good stuff on this blog.

Yes catsmum - that's it.  I didn't realise there was other stuff - thanks for the link.

Kathy

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:42am
post #8951 of 25877

ATiddy, how did you do your facebook page? I don't have Facebook because I just don't believe in it, but I'm not too proud to see it for it's amazing business potential!

I'm just wondering what kind of page I do so that I can interact with people as a personal profile doesn't let you set anything up with a business name.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:56am
post #8952 of 25877

ANooooo, Kathy, everyone blames me, OK OK, tiny bit my fault!

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:56am
post #8953 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

Bloody hell Tiddy do you live in a mansion :lol:, don't envy you cleaning all them toilets and bathrooms.

Feels like it some days i tell ya! 6 bedrooms but most have en suites :cry: theyre all messy so mummy has to do if it its going to get done properly! Needed a decontamination suit for my boys rooms this morning 8O

Kathy I win! I had only been on here a few days and did £300 in a day :lol:

Kuuushi if you have a personal page on fb just click the little triangle next to your name top right and select create page :) I joined all the local selling pages on there and on a sunday night i blast them all with this weeks cakes :) it goes mad for a few days so i have to make sure ive time to sit and answer all the messages but well worth it! I took six orders last night and a few more this morning :)

nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:56am
post #8954 of 25877

AOh tiddy, envious house loving going on here.

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 11:57am
post #8955 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Nooooo, Kathy, everyone blames me, OK OK, tiny bit my fault!

i think i blame you too nanny! :lol:

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:01pm
post #8956 of 25877

AMe

i think i blame you too nanny! :lol:

Me three nanny!!

nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:03pm
post #8957 of 25877

AI have to work all afternoon with this blame on my shoulders, how could guys, Ha ha ha, only kidding.

petitecat Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:18pm
post #8958 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

I joined all the local selling pages on there and on a sunday night i blast them all with this weeks cakes :) 

How do you join the selling pages Tiddy? I'm good with internet but not great with social media! How many boys have you got??

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:27pm
post #8959 of 25877

I think I need to shoulder so of the blame with you Nanny I'm always linking stuff on here. Sorry everyone but you know you'd spend just as much without our influence :lol:

Tiddy your house must be huge, great news about all your orders that cake room of your is gonna get a good work out :lol:

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:30pm
post #8960 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

How do you join the selling pages Tiddy? I'm good with internet but not great with social media! How many boys have you got??

ok so for me i type in the fb search bar something like buying and selling bridgend / swansea / cardiff etc etc. Then you will find group pages to join. Click join and they usually accept pretty quick. It should then show up on the left hand side of your fb page a list of groups you have joined. So i just sit on a sunday and go through them one by one...bit time consuming but worth it x

I have 5 kids, eldest is a girl 23, then boy 21, boy 17, boy 16 and girl 9 going on 40 :lol: oh and a husband person so thats 6 kids :) and 3 dogs lol...yup im a nutter!

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:30pm
post #8961 of 25877

ABlimey you (us!)lot can talk!

Nanny it really is your fault we spend so much!

Kuushi I've seen that tutorial, I'd love to make a tree cake. And I thought I was the only person in the world (under 70!) who's not on Facebook! I hate Facebook but, like you I have to acknowledge that it's a great starting point for selling cakes. I'm adjusting to life with less money now and I've had the odd, fleeting thought that maybe I should see if people would actually pay money for my cakes. Even if it's just one or two here and there to enable me to keep going with a hobby I love. Do you all get most of your orders from Facebook?

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:31pm
post #8962 of 25877

AWow tiddy, you don't look old or stressed enough! :-D

petitecat Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:35pm
post #8963 of 25877

Thanks Tiddy, I'll give it go.

That's a lotta kids! Although I'm familiar with big families, two of my uncles had 8 kids each, another had 7, and so on and so forth... so all in all I have um about 35+ cousins from my family in the Philippines (I don't know exactly how many because I've never counted lol), and 5 cousins from the English branch. 

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:40pm
post #8964 of 25877

ah well both my nans had 10 so must be where i get it from! I would have kept going if the last one hadnt almost killed me (not kidding) so got doggies instead :) I hoofing great white german shepherd, a shihtzu and a westie :) great friends they are....i think its what keeps me young tbh, i dont get chance to age :lol: oh and i do meditate and do yoga lol

I get most of my orders via fb :)

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:47pm
post #8965 of 25877

AI'm the oldest of five and I would've loved more myself (I've got two) but when you have a baby and something goes wrong it makes you aware that if it can happen once it can happen again. Was too scared to have anymore then.

I've just found a book I want to buy on amazon and want to make my order up to £10 for free delivery, I was looking at cake lace mats cos you've all been raving about them! Are they all the same? They vary in price quite a lot so thought I'd check before I buy.

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 1:01pm
post #8966 of 25877

AI'm the eldest of four and so far it's had an adverse reaction to me! I'm 25 in September and not a child in sight! :D

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 1:15pm
post #8967 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

I'm the eldest of four and so far it's had an adverse reaction to me! I'm 25 in September and not a child in sight! icon_biggrin.gif

like my daughter! lol so unmaternal she is!

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 1:19pm
post #8968 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

I'm the oldest of five and I would've loved more myself (I've got two) but when you have a baby and something goes wrong it makes you aware that if it can happen once it can happen again. Was too scared to have anymore then.

I've just found a book I want to buy on amazon and want to make my order up to £10 for free delivery, I was looking at cake lace mats cos you've all been raving about them! Are they all the same? They vary in price quite a lot so thought I'd check before I buy.

very true!

I have two mats one was from lakeland and one was a pavoni mat. Needless to say the pavoni one is better :)

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 1:22pm
post #8969 of 25877

A

like my daughter! lol so unmaternal she is!

My youngest sister who's 18 has a baby. She's beautiful and to be honest I treat her like my own. I don't think I'm unmaternal I just want to be married before I have kids! :P

And after having three younger siblings, I wanted to pull my hair out so I can imagine my kids when I have them lol! x

petitecat Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 1:28pm
post #8970 of 25877

Well, I stopped any and all broodiness after having my 2nd child. Both my sisters have 2 kids each too. I still love seeing, holding, playing with babies but very very happy to give them back to their mums now lol!!

Tiddy, call me a social media idiot, but what is the best way to 'sell' cakes in those groups (I've been approved for one, waiting for others)? Do you just show the cakes you've done?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%