A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:24pm
post #9001 of 25877

AThanks for the ideas about the ribbon guys. Do you get staining with pritt/royal icing?

Tiddy, what about if it's a housing association?

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:26pm
post #9002 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

Thanks for the ideas about the ribbon guys. Do you get staining with pritt/royal icing?

Tiddy, what about if it's a housing association?

not from pritt stick, little with royal :)

ummm not sure but should be alright i would think :)

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:28pm
post #9003 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

It means what it says tiddy! Now. In a minute. icon_smile.gif I didn't even think I had much of an accent til I moved to Guildford. They used to tease me terrible there! My brother has lived in porthcawl and Bridgend for about 15 years now, he's 32, he sounds really welsh! Alright butt, mint that is! My niece spent all weekend saying "when we gunoo ave foo-ud"! That means "when are we going to have breakfast/lunch/dinner?" They don't have named mealtimes there do they tiddy? Just "foo-ud" for every meal!

Aw Kathy, I think about you an your mam often. Glad you can still come here to cheer yourself up a bit. Life's rubbish sometimes/ most times/ always isn't it? As long as somebody's with her try not to worry. It's good you can all share, it's too much for any one person to do it alone. X

I use royal icing mostly Kuushi.

oh yeah i hear that every night "mam whats for foo-ud?" lol

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:31pm
post #9004 of 25877

AThanks Lizzy. :-)

If I did I would be legal first, I wouldn't sleep at night otherwise! I might have a think about it and look into it a bit.

We've got a cake lady here who makes 6inch chocolate cakes with box board and ribbon for a tenner. She made 26 I think for Mother's Day. Mental! They taste nasty too, doesn't seem to put people off tho.

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:35pm
post #9005 of 25877

AOh well, can't sit yer all day can I? I'm off to do the kids foo-ud now in a minute. :-)

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:49pm
post #9006 of 25877

Haha you lot make me laugh, I am originally from Liverpool and have lived in Manchester for 17 years now, my partner still takes the p**s out of me because I say lecky instead of electric. My sister still lives down there and when I haven't spoken to her for a couple of weeks she sounds really weird  :lol:

Kuuushi I use double sided tape for ribbons on the board, think I might try the pritt stick though I never even thought of that. 

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:53pm
post #9007 of 25877

Kathy, glad to hear us here on CC can distract you every now and then :) 

Lizzy, I can't stand FB mushy talk either. I was hardly on it until I started making cakes! I have FB to keep up with numerous family and friends scattered around the world, and for the business page. I don't accept friend invites from 'friends' I haven't seen in yonks, I don't see the point. I like to have just close friends and family :)

Heheh, the dropped 'h' reminds me of when I first arrived in UK (2002). A co worker once said about a blind date ' 'E does me 'ead in'. I knew she meant he and head, but couldn't figure out what the phrase meant. I'd wince at 'I'll win ya', or 'I'll learn ya'. My aunt says fud for food. Took me a while to get used to 'luv'. 

My pronunciation isn't the best. I say sou-thern instead of su-thern. My mum was forever telling me 'It's away, not awee' to which I'd fire back with 'When you've learnt to speak Filipino fluently, then you can correct my pronunciation'. Ma lived in the Philippines for over 40 years, and to this day isn't fluent! 

Kuushi, I use double sided tape, but want to try pritt stick.

Maisie, a tenner how ridiculous!!

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 4:01pm
post #9008 of 25877

AI am in awe of anyone who can speak more than one language! I'd love to be able to speak welsh, I'm quite ashamed that I can't actually. When I was in school they didn't teach welsh at all. I suppose they thought we didn't need it. They're better now tho, it's taught in every primary school and there are welsh language schools popping up everywhere.

roxylee123 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 4:06pm
post #9009 of 25877

I think I lasted about two weeks on facebook it done my head, I can't stand it. I use whats app on my phone to keep in touch with family.

Maisie if that lady is selling crap tasting cakes for a tenner surely if you started selling quality cakes people would eventually start to come to you instead of her, maybe she gets so many ordered because of lack of options.People will pay more for better quality and once a couple of people had them off you word would get round to other people how good yours taste and you will get some orders and probably regular ones like she does for mother's day etc.

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 4:17pm
post #9010 of 25877

AYou might be right roxy. I'll give it some serious thought I think. :-) I love the scouse accent btw.

roxylee123 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 4:46pm
post #9011 of 25877

I think I've lost most of my accent now Maisie though when I meet people they seem to notice it even though I don't. Do give it some thought because your cakes are fab and they would snap them up.:smile:

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:38pm
post #9012 of 25877

A

Original message sent by maisie73

Oh well, can't sit yer all day can I? I'm off to do the kids foo-ud now in a minute. :-)

Is it wrong that I have Nessa's voice from Gavin and Stacy in my head now? :-D

Please tell me you Welshies do say 'tidy' for something that's good, that would make my day :-D I've tried using it in that way, but without the accent it just sounds like I'm a mental neat-freak!

Tiddylicious Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:40pm
post #9013 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzybug78 

Is it wrong that I have Nessa's voice from Gavin and Stacy in my head now? icon_biggrin.gif

Please tell me you Welshies do say 'tidy' for something that's good, that would make my day icon_biggrin.gif I've tried using it in that way, but without the accent it just sounds like I'm a mental neat-freak!

all my kids say it lol

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:43pm
post #9014 of 25877

AWow, mad lady doing all that work for basically nothing. I agree, get yourself up and running!

I'm with you on WhatsApp roxy, I love it. Now I can send stupid videos and pictures without horrendous mms charges. Score! :-D

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:43pm
post #9015 of 25877

AAwesome tiddy, that has definitely made my day! :-D

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 6:04pm
post #9016 of 25877

Quote:

Just do the online food hygiene course

I'm looking to send my mum on this course at the local college, but didn't know you could do it online! 

You don't happen to have the link for this course do you? :)

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 6:24pm
post #9017 of 25877

AHi kuuushi

This is where I did it, but there are tons of places that offer it. I opted to have the certificate sent to me rather than print at home, so it cost a few pounds more than they advertise. I went through topcashback and got £5 back on it too, so if you're a member you could try that :-)

It took me about 8 minutes to do the 'exam' after reading through the 'coursework'.

Adding the link would help wouldn't it! http://www.virtual-college.co.uk/products/food-hygiene-catering.aspx

maisie73 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 6:34pm
post #9018 of 25877

AYes Lizzy we do say tidy rather a lot I'm afraid! I think nessa's brilliant, my best friend is so much like her it's scary, looks and ways! I reckon Ruth jones met my friend once and that's who she based nessa on.

I've got what's app, don't use it much tho.

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 6:43pm
post #9019 of 25877

A

Quote:

Hi kuuushi

This is where I did it, but there are tons of places that offer it. I opted to have the certificate sent to me rather than print at home, so it cost a few pounds more than they advertise. I went through topcashback and got £5 back on it too, so if you're a member you could try that icon_smile.gif

It took me about 8 minutes to do the 'exam' after reading through the 'coursework'.

Adding the link would help wouldn't it!
http://www.virtual-college.co.uk/products/food-hygiene-catering.aspx

Do you know if you have to sit through all the training materials? I've done the course numerous times over the years - was a pub landlord and head chef in my pre-teaching years - so I would like to just bash out the test and get the piece if paper if at all possible...

m4rvelgeek Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 6:46pm
post #9020 of 25877

AAlso, hello everyone! Hope you have all had good days? I can see some of you have had chatty days - I'm a bit of a daytime lurker at break and lunchtimes... ;)

Taking 40 kids to the Harry Potter Studio Tour tomorrow, so kind of a restful night as nothing left to get ready for tomorrow - although I am currently working my way through what is left of the marking that I tried to ignore yesterday. Not to mention the reports which are basically haunting my entire existence...

Why am I a teacher again?

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:08pm
post #9021 of 25877

AHi peeps and everyone!

Lizzy you crack me up mun, thats something else we say, tidy that, whats occuring!! Oh!

I'm also on whatsapp too.

nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:18pm
post #9023 of 25877

AMarvel, I'm also a qualified chef, to about 22 yrs now, I always used to get confused when Michelle Roux always asked contestants if they were classically trained, I know what it means now.

Big change from cooking to teaching, how did that come about then?

m4rvelgeek Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:26pm
post #9024 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Hi peeps and everyone!

Lizzy you crack me up mun, thats something else we say, tidy that, whats occuring!! Oh!

I'm also on whatsapp too.

Incidentally, I never say any of these things... But I was ripped from the homeland shortly after infancy and raised in mega-posh Windsor. So if I even try to say these things, I sound like Prince William trying to be 'down with the kids'. Much to my MANY cousins' amusement!!

m4rvelgeek Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:28pm
post #9025 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Marvel, I'm also a qualified chef, to about 22 yrs now, I always used to get confused when Michelle Roux always asked contestants if they were classically trained, I know what it means now.

Big change from cooking to teaching, how did that come about then?

Fell into pubs and restaurants after dropping out of my first attempt at Uni. Went back five years later, after I met the fellow that was to become my darling husband, and finally got my degree. Then a couple of years as a TA, before doing my teaching qualifications. =)

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:17pm
post #9026 of 25877

A

Original message sent by m4rvelgeek

Quote:

Hi kuuushi

This is where I did it, but there are tons of places that offer it. I opted to have the certificate sent to me rather than print at home, so it cost a few pounds more than they advertise. I went through topcashback and got £5 back on it too, so if you're a member you could try that icon_smile.gif

Do you know if you have to sit through all the training materials? I've done the course numerous times over the years - was a pub landlord and head chef in my pre-teaching years - so I would like to just bash out the test and get the piece if paper if at all possible...

Marvel, I do this one http://www.saferfoodhandler.co.uk/index.html?gclid=CMKQlc_N7b4CFUbkwgodgG8AFQ because there is a fast track option where you can answer a bunch of questions and if you get 100% you can jump straight to the actual test. I prefer it cos I've done so many hygiene courses previously.

m4rvelgeek Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:24pm
post #9027 of 25877

A

Original message sent by natt12321

Marvel, I do this one http://www.saferfoodhandler.co.uk/index.html?gclid=CMKQlc_N7b4CFUbkwgodgG8AFQ because there is a fast track option where you can answer a bunch of questions and if you get 100% you can jump straight to the actual test. I prefer it cos I've done so many hygiene courses previously.

Sounds like what I'm after. Thank you! =)

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:27pm
post #9028 of 25877

A

Original message sent by m4rvelgeek

Quote:

Hi kuuushi

From what I remember you can take the exam straight away. Even if you can't though, the modules take no time to go through. It took more time to let their automated doobries show you with visuals what was coming next than it did to read and answer questions. The only bits in glad I read were on bacteria in rice and what they are called - only because I didn't know and would have had to take a punt in the answer. Obviously knowing that has really helped me in my cake making!

I don't know what yours was like tiddy, but there was very little in the one I did that would ever come up in baking, it was based more on meats and actual cooking. And making sure you know not to cough over food. I'm slightly concerned that questions like that were in it, who thinks it's ok to do that?? Scary.

Lol nanny, I love it :-D

Maisie, I am officially jealous of you having a nessa-like :-D

kuuushi Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:43pm
post #9029 of 25877

AEvening all! I think I'm gonna jump on the back of m4rvels bus! Seriously in need of going to HP Studios (yes I'm an obsessed need but wth!) been trying to get the other half to take me but nooooo!

Started my diet today for holidays! Drank 2.5ltrs of water and I swear I can hear myself swish as I walk!

Dieting and caking at the same time is difficult. Wish my bloody snowflake cutters will hurry up though!! Okay someone help me on this. When I cut out shapes I usually have a difficult time transferring from the table to a tray to dry. Usually the end up shushed in one corner! If I was to cut out on grease proof paper and dry them where they were cut, do you think if have a cleaner shape?

nannycook Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 9:10pm
post #9030 of 25877

AI'm dieting, lost 3lbs last week, yippee!!

OK where is everyone tonight? I'm lonely!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%