Rls!! Restless Leg Syndrome!

Lounge By cakemommy Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 3:39am by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 7:07am
post #1 of 17

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I have suffered from this my whole life and it's driving me nuts. I can not sit still to save my soul! My dad suffered from RLS and viola icon_confused.gif so do I! Thanks dad!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I just want to get up and run a bazillion miles. All I can do is sit here or recline on the couch like I am right now and just shake my legs nervously!!! It's very frustrating because I'm obviously on my laptop and the whole thing keeps shaking. AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif icon_cry.gif

My Grandmother says cranberry juice helps but I can not tolerate cranberry juice. She also says that if you rub rubbing alcohol on your calves it will help. I'll do that before I hit the sack here in a few!!!!

Do any of ya'll suffer from RLS? What are some of the remedies you have tried? Have any of you ladies, noticed that it usually gets worse around that time of the month? This is driving me insane!!!!! icon_evil.gif

Amy

16 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 7:39am
post #2 of 17

I can totally sympathize! My 92 year old mother has suffered with it for years, I have it, and my younger DS has developed it in the last year or so.

It is miserable any time, but since my arthritis has gotten so bad, it really does get painful. I have a product called Stopain (I get mine at Walgreens, comes in spray or roll-on ) that I use and it does help to a certain extent.

Sorry, I don't have anything else that works, but I have seen a RX ad on tv that claims to help, but haven't tried it.

Does heat help or hurt yours? I can't stand heat on mine, but it sometimes helps my mother. Janice

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 7:41am
post #3 of 17

There is a medication they are touting on TV, but I haven't tried it.

I do find that heat helps. I use an electric blanket. The twin sizes are often on sale.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 17

I'm pretty sure that I have this, and dh makes fun of me...he thinks that it's bunk...just a way to sell more rx's. Everytime the commercial comes on tv, he looks at me and laughs. It's awful though. I lay in bed and feel like my legs just need to be stretched so bad. I may actually find a family doctor and see what they say about it.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 17

I find that when my legs start to act up I take a calcium supplement and that seems to really help. I usually buy the 500 miligram with Vitamin D calcium supplements at Walmart. As soon as my legs start to get that inside itchy feeling I take one of those and it feels better.
Wish I had figured that one out when I was a teenager icon_rolleyes.gif
Also, exercise helps alot too!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 17

In high school people would always put their hands on my legs to try to stop me from shaking the lunch table. It's not as bad shaking wise now that I'm a little older but my legs get so stiff that I prefer to stand a lot and going to sleep can be difficult. I haven't tried fixing it yet because I thought it was just a family thing since my dad does it too. Glad I read this.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 17

Instead of shaking your legs, try stretching them forward with toes pointed inward as far as comfortable. Repeat as needed.

If you legs are restless, it might also be time for sleep. I hope you get some relief!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

cakemommy Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 17

I am going to have to try some of these remedies. What I'd love to have is a deep tissue massage just on my calves.

Oh it's definately not "bunk"! It is very real and very annoying. Sometimes a very temporary relief is to stretch my legs out and flex my feet to stretch my calves.

I've never thought about a calcium + D supplement. How long does that take to take effect for relief?

Amy

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 17

For me, 10 minutes max, it just depends on how fast your body digests and absorbs it.
I've also noticed that when I haven't been getting enough calcium in my diet my legs start to bother me.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #10 of 17

No bunk about it! I am glad that information is getting out about RLS. When I first started having problems 7 years ago I or my doctor had no clue as to what was going on. No matter how I tried to relax my legs didnt want any part of it. Over the years and off the predisone my legs have gotten better. There was even one time I had rubbed holes in my socks cause I had been rubbing my feet together all night. icon_eek.gif There is the new medication they talk about on TV and if I start having those problems again I will at my NEW doctor holding out my hand for a prescription. lol.

Try Webmd.com and see if they have any info...................

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 12:32am
post #11 of 17

My DH's best friend (my best friends DH) suffers from it very badly! So bad that his wife has to sleep on the couch because it's worse when he's asleep. He just started taking the meds from the tv ad 2 wks ago. I can't remember the name but it is working! thumbs_up.gif DH & DW are actually getting some sleep! icon_smile.gif I don't have to hear my best friend complain anymore about not getting any sleep, that's a good thing! icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:28am
post #12 of 17

OH, so rubbing your feet together is also a sign of RLS---scratch that I'm getting better. Probly sounds odd--but I'm so use to having my feet rub together at night that it's practicaly the only way I can fall asleep now icon_redface.gif

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:50am
post #13 of 17

I'm with mOuse. If I get the slightest electricity surge I run for my soy milk. If that doesn't work, I use Valerian. It's an herbal supplement to help you sleep. It doesn't make you drowsy but it makes you feel peaceful. Good luck!!

kos

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 2:26am
post #14 of 17

My legs don't jump during the day, just at night. It seems to start in my lower back. It almost feels like the nerve is pinched and my legs start to tingle. I try cracking my back by turning to my side as far as I can. When I have had about enough twitching, I take 4 advils. That seems to allow me to sleep through the night. My husband's legs move all the time when he is awake. He says it's a type of medical condition and there is no cure. He doesn't complain about them at night. Go figure.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:25am
post #15 of 17

Well I am glad I am not the only one. I have a constant need to stretch and I get the creepy crawlies all the way down to my toes. I can be sitting on the couch or anywhere for that matter and my legs with twitch uncontrolably. (sp?). I find that it bothers me most at night when I am trying to sleep, but have noticed lately that I feel it all day. I have found that taking a hot bath will relax me enough to hold it at bay for a little bit.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:28am
post #16 of 17

I swear that I have episodes of this too. DH also laughs at me.
Mine seems to happen mostly when I've been working out my legs pretty hard (trained for the 3-Day walk last summer and my legs (mostly just the right none) would just JUMP all of a sudden when I laid on the couch or was trying to fall asleep).

It also seems worse after having some wine.

I've become a big fan of this stuff called BioFreeze. Lots of chiropractors sell it and you can get it online. It's probably like that IcyHot stuff - it feels cool but warm at the same time and kind of numbs the area - it relaxes my calves enough to make the twitching stop.

cakemommy Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:39am
post #17 of 17

I never thought about checking WebMd. I've done research years ago but haven't done any recently.

Mine bothers me at night when I get it. I can go months without any issues but when it flares up it drives me insane. It's really hard to ignore. My husband doesn't complain about me shaking my legs. He feels really bad for me that there's nothing he can do to help. Because I can go months without symptoms then I don't know if I should take medication for it.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%