Transporting A Wedding Cake 230 Miles

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm by mariela_ms

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake for my Aunt in a month, I will have to transport it 230 miles after it's made. How much assembling should I do before I transport it? It will be covered in fondant and I'm not very experienced when it comes to fondant covered cakes.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

7 replies
Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Nisha_ru we seem to be on sister boats. I'm making a wedding cake for my SIL's wedding on April 4th. She's 254 miles away. I'm anxious to see what others reply to you.

The wedding is on Saturday and we'll probably leave Thursday morning. My plan is to have the cakes filled and at least crumb coated before we leave. (The whole family is going. DH and kids are in the wedding.) We will take the cakes in individual cake boxes. This includes a 16", 12", 10" and 8" rounds. I plan to do the rest of the decorating there.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

I was thinking the same, except I can't leave until Thursday noon, and the wedding is at 11am on Friday. I'm not sure if I should cover the cakes with fondant before traveling, or if that's just asking for trouble!

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

How many Tiers? If its over 3 I would keep the Tiers in seperate boxes. They should be fine for the trip though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 8

You can completely finish each tier separately, box and then put together once you get there.
If it all possible have them pick out a design that is displayed on separate stands or heights (use boxes or anything to elevate, covered w/a nice cloth).
I have taken many, many dummy cakes farther but not real ones. Those dummy cakes never gave me any problemsicon_wink.gif

If it is supported well and you use a center dowel thru all the tiers it probably will be fine - same as if you went only 50 miles. You just have to be careful driving - always on the lookout for any thing that might cause a sudden stop - no sharp turns etc.

Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

You're so pressed for time. kakeladi sums it up best.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 8

I used the wilton plates and hidden pillars to transport a 3 tier cake 450 miles. What I did was make each cake right on the plastic plate, then I used cardboard circles in boxes the appropriate size for each tier. I used 2 cardboard pieces, the top one I cut holes in so the little feet of the plastic plates would fit snuggly. The additional cardboard was for support. I already had the wilton hidden pillars cut and pushed in the correct spots of the cakes. Wrapped each box in plastic wrap. You still can't drive crazy, but it's pretty sturdy and will go fine in an a/c'd car. Also, be aware that the floor board of any vehicle gets very warm on long trips, so if you have a van or SUV And was planning on sitting the boxes in the back, put a couple of layers down first. Good luck!!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 8

You can always use the SPS. I used it and traveled about an hour. I am making a cake too and will travel about the same distance. It will be covered in fondant 3 tier (12,10,icon_cool.gif and traveled assembled. Of course using the SPS, it is the safest support system out there! and cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%