Ugh!! Gum Paste, Is It Not For Me?

Decorating By Tinabug1979 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm by Tinabug1979

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 7

I don't know what's going on, But Edna makes it look so easy. I've got some gum paste that I made myself, I even have cutters, But this just isn't working out for me. I'm not sure what to do about it, other than keep practicing, Which I am gonna do! But as of right now, the gp seems to be to moist. When i pick the flowers up, they stretch. My question is, Should I knead a little bit more powdered sugar in it?

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

Edna makes it look easy because she's relaxed as she demonstrates the technique.

You sound very tense, like you're putting too much pressure on yourself to be perfect at it.

It takes time and training.

Here's a suggestion -

Watch the video. Take notes. Walk away. Watch the video again later, take notes again. See if there is anything in the second set of notes that you missed the first time. If there is, walk away. Watch the video a third time. After that, with notes nearby, you should be able to gather your tools and paste, sit down in front of the video with your stuff in place, and follow the video almost perfectly. Pause and replay when you have to.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 7

playingwithsugar is righticon_smile.gif
What/who's recipe are you using? Could you be rolling it too thin. I cant' ever remember having gp or fondant stretch when I pick it up.

Tinabug1979 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

First of all,... I feel like such a retard! Believe it or not, I do try to figure stuff out for myself before I bother anyone on here. It's always the simple stuff that gets me, I make things out to be more complicated than they really are.
I went back to look at my recipe, so I could tell you (kakeladi) what I was using.. and I made "fondant for sculpting".. So yeah, I rolled it to thin! I'm so sorry I botherd yall with this!
Now, I will go make GUMPASTE!!... and try all this again.
Thank you both for trying to help me!
Oh yeah, playingwithsugar... I do put alot of pressure on myself. I'll try to work on that, Thanks again.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

No bother. That's what we're here for.

Let us know how your next recipe works out for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 7

We all learn from each other. Some times it is the baby step that keeps us down. You had a problem, wrote about it, thought to look and found the answer. I love this site for it. Nobody makes you feel less for silly mistakes. We all have done them. Learn, share, and keep on going! icon_lol.gif

Tinabug1979 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 7

OH goodness!... I got it! icon_biggrin.gif

I knew it wasn't suppose to be as hard as I was making it! Thank you guys, for all of ur help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%