Help Needed With Fondant Covered Cake... Drapped??

Decorating By mumoftwo Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 6:37am by KoryAK

mumoftwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumoftwo Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:21am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif

I found your site tonight while trying to get some help for a wedding cake I'm making this weekend, I've spent the last hour trying to find the info I need but I'm not having much luck so maybe one of you lovely people might be ab le to help icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Hopefully I have attached a picture of the type of cake I'm doing its got fondant drapped over the whole thing then covered in roses.

I have got the cakes made and the roses made but I'm not positive about doing the draping (not even sure if thats what its called when the whole cake is covered in it)

No sure if I should be trying to do it in one thing? a couple of different sections? do they need to dry in between? thick or thin fondant?
I have tried searching for other threads about this type of thing but can't work out what you call the style.

Thanks so much for any help thumbs_up.gif
LL

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 5

Someone else posted this pic w/the exact same ?s.......or was it you?

Never having done it my guess is one rolls out a thin piece of fondant that is draped over the whole cake/tier - maybe even 2 tiers and just let it drape naturally instead of trying to smooth it. You would need to b'cream the cake 1st (or use something like apricot (actually any flavor) jam which has been heated & strained to make the cake sticky for the fondant to adhere to.

mumoftwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumoftwo Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Someone else posted this pic w/the exact same ?s.......or was it you?

Nope not me icon_confused.gif

how do I find that post maybe someone has answered the questions that I'm asking??

TIA icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:15am
post #4 of 5

It's pretty similar to this cake http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622319-.html
...hope this helps icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:37am
post #5 of 5

I did a cake with a kinda similar effect... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275194 ... I covered it in fondant regularly then added the drapes square by square folding over the edges so you can't see where they start and stop. I also ruffled it a bit and let it sit for 3 min or so before placing on the cake so it kept its shape better. This cake would be a similar technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%