Well, I Now Have More Time For Cakes

Decorating By CHoxie Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm by oneyracing

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 31

Hello all.

Today I joined the many unemployed workers in the US. Not going to miss the work, but am going to miss the people.

Many people know me there, and looked forward to the cakes I brought in. Even the flops, they didn't care. Engineers will eat anything. Next week I start the real job, finding new employment.

Hard to hear "Hang in there man" from everyone. 33% of the company. No rhyme or reason as to who was picked. Almost like they drew names from a hat. Some had been there for over 20 years, others only a few. One guy is just 6 months to retire.

So, now I look to the world through different eyes. I hope the president knows what he is doing, and things start to pick up. I am one who does not like to be sitting around.

BTW, if any cake shops in the Chicago area need a cake decorator, PM me. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks all for the vent. Take care and God Bless

30 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 31

Good luck in your job hunt and sorry that this has happened to you.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 31

Sorry to hear that. We live in metro Detroit and my hubby was laid off a week before Christmas and found out he won't be going back at all this year. We were hoping.... Here's hoping you find a job quickly!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 31

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I keep waiting for the ax to fall too. The only thing that makes me feel better is dreaming about the cake shop I will open when/if the pink slips start to fly.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 31

Dudette, watch out for the depression, be careful. Don't beat yourself up there's plenty enough circumstances out there to do that.

(((giant hug)))

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 31

Sorry to hear the news. Keep baking!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 31

So sorry to hear this happened to you. My husband lost 2 farms this year which cuts our income by 60%. My office manager's husband lost his job at Lowes after 11 years for no good reason. Best of luck in finding a job and listen to K8 about the depression by husband went through it big time.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 31

you've always got us! small solace i'm sure but- i learned in my battles, to take each victory every day as it comes no matter how small they are, soon your surprised to see how they add up ((hugs))

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 31

sending you hugs. icon_cry.gif
I've been out of work a couple of months (also in the Chicago area)

I am doing more baking but unfortunatly don't have an office to take my creations to...................

I'm in sales and my dream job would be to combine that with baking so if anyone know a cake related ompany who needs a sales rep.

Here I am

thumbs_up.gif

nannie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 31

oh, and clearly proofreading is not my highest skill icon_wink.gif

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #11 of 31

Ugh. I'm sorry! We're nervous at our house too.

I hope you find something even better very, very quickly!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 31

Oh I feel your pain too! I was laid off two months ago. applied for unemployment and was denied because i told them I needed to secure childcare before I started a new job, my words exactly "I just need a day to find a sitter before I start something new" I don't even know why the words came out of my mouth during the interview, I was so nervous... so whatever you do... just tell them you're available to work even if you aren't!!!! Apparently they don't care, they just want to hear the word -- YES -- icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoxie

Hello all.

Today I joined the many unemployed workers in the US. Not going to miss the work, but am going to miss the people.

Many people know me there, and looked forward to the cakes I brought in. Even the flops, they didn't care. Engineers will eat anything. Next week I start the real job, finding new employment.

Hard to hear "Hang in there man" from everyone. 33% of the company. No rhyme or reason as to who was picked. Almost like they drew names from a hat. Some had been there for over 20 years, others only a few. One guy is just 6 months to retire.

So, now I look to the world through different eyes. I hope the president knows what he is doing, and things start to pick up. I am one who does not like to be sitting around.

BTW, if any cake shops in the Chicago area need a cake decorator, PM me. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks all for the vent. Take care and God Bless

I am so sorry this happened to you! I feel your pain...
I was laid off back in November. With the holidays approaching, my wedding in February and house hunting- life threw me a major curve ball. My office closed...

So I'm here still on the hunt for a job too.
Advice: remember to stay calm and reassure yourself that you will find something because...YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING. Rather than looking for a job at an independent company, try to look at big corporations.
Hotels, Hospitals, etc. At least that's what I'm doing.

I'm not looking into being an Administrative Assistant at John Smith's law firm and taking a chance that he, himself, may be going bankrupt.

I hope everything works out for you! icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #14 of 31

Oh, boy... I'm so sorry for you. My GF got laid off too. Hope things get better for you quickly! I sure hope things turn around in the States soon! We are starting to feel your pain up here!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Oh I feel your pain too! I was laid off two months ago. applied for unemployment and was denied because i told them I needed to secure childcare before I started a new job, my words exactly "I just need a day to find a sitter before I start something new" I don't even know why the words came out of my mouth during the interview...Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I'm just curious...can't you just reapply or appeal your denial?

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened to you. A lot of my family and friends in Michigan are going through the same thing with all of the layoffs. In addition to searching the internet for jobs, go to job fairs, volunteer and stay busy. I've been there. If you stay busy you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself and let depression sit in. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I'm just curious...can't you just reapply or appeal your denial?

I have no expertise in this, but I would think you could appeal it because you did not turn down a job ..... you just negotiated your start date.

It's always a good idea to have daycare lined up ahead of time, though. Sometimes sitters can be as hard to find as jobs! icon_wink.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Quote:

Oh I feel your pain too! I was laid off two months ago. applied for unemployment and was denied because i told them I needed to secure childcare before I started a new job, my words exactly "I just need a day to find a sitter before I start something new" I don't even know why the words came out of my mouth during the interview...Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

I did appeal. Thanks for the tip though. It's been two weeks and still no word. I was talking to a coworker from my job. they asked him the same question and he just said yes and that was it. I had no clue how unemployment worked, I was afraid the state was going to call me up one day at 7am and tell me to report somewhere by 9am. Obviously I was overthinking the whole thing because he just has to submit something similar to a time card each week certifying he was available for work and he gets his check. Seems to me like we should be working a little harder to collect that $$ icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #18 of 31
Quote:

I was afraid the state was going to call me up one day at 7am and tell me to report somewhere by 9am.

temp agencies work that way. State employment offices rarely work that way. If you've never been thru the process, it's almost overwhelming, isn't it? Plus you're battling all the stuff you've heard from the "Kitchen Table Legal Team", with no idea on how much is true and how much is just a bunch of people jabber-jawing about what they THINK is true. icon_eek.gif

CHoxie Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 31

Thanks all for you kind words. I was worried how my wife would react about the whole thing. Suprisingly, she is handling it ok.

I have filed fo unemployment, and have been told will receive it in a couple of weeks. Been in contact with my former boss, and he feels that they will be either calling me back to catch up on some of the projects that came to a sudden stop, or closing the business altogether. I am hoping for the call back.

Since last week though, I have gotten 3 orders for new customers. Just got to keep plugging and pray for the best.

Again, thanks all thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:06pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoxie

I have filed fo unemployment, and have been told will receive it in a couple of weeks. Been in contact with my former boss, and he feels that they will be either calling me back to catch up on some of the projects that came to a sudden stop, or closing the business altogether.

Just make sure you get paid! Then of course you will have to claim that when you file your weekly unemployment claim. Ugh. Such a pain. I hope they get you in the system quickly so you don't have to wait too long. I know Ohio is backed up big time because of all the claims.

My hubby is a seasonal worker (heavy highway road construction; seasonal cuz we are in Ohio) and we are dealing with unemployment for the first time in three years. It sucks. It's temporary, but it still sucks (unemployment pay is about 50% of his regular pay). I'm praying the snow holds off and we have seen the end, which means they will be calling him back any day now.

My dad got laid off when I was in middle school. He could not find a job anywhere and ended up moving to Chicago for about a year just to get a job. It was so strange. Dad in Chicago, us in Cleveland, but my parents weren't divorced!

Good luck in your job hunt! Sometimes what you thought was only a dream becomes reality due to a rough situation that you had to go through.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #21 of 31

I know it's not easy to see right now, but I honestly believe that things happen for a reason-even the "bad" things. You said it yourself-you have more time to do cakes and three new customers. Maybe that's the reason you have been laid off. OR it's because a new and exciting position will come up and you wouldn't have thought of taking it when you had a job already.

The economy sucks-there's no question about it. Unemployment is scary when you have families to raise and mortgages to pay...but it WILL get better. Hang in there! thumbs_up.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #22 of 31

I'm so sorry to hear of your job loss ~ I hope you find something soon!
I can understand how you feel.........I live in NC in a very rural area; and we are at 10% unemployment in our county.........my husband's job has been cut back to 32 hours a week; and that alone is killing him.....Lord knows what would happen if he did get laid off; I am a state employee; but there are no guarantees there.............sorry for the ramble..........but I'm hoping and praying for all of us........not just in NC, but the whole country................

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #23 of 31

Nope, no job is a guarantee anymore. I'm a hospital employee and even those jobs aren't secure.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #24 of 31

I'm sorry to hear this. The factory that my husband has worked at for years and years shut down 2 days before Christmas leaving hundreds and hundreds of people unemplyed in my small town. Some were set to retire in just a few months. icon_sad.gif

Good luck to you as you job hunt....who knows maybe something better will come along. Keep your chin up ok.
(((hugs)))

nannie Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 31

FREE RESUME PRINTING

for all of us job seekers: fex ex kinkos is offering free resume printing May 10 only. 25 free copies.

a really nice thing for a company to do. Here are the details.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-talk-kinkosmar10,0,3881945.story

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #26 of 31

I am sorry to hear about your job. I hope something good comes out of this and you can pursue your dreams! Best wishes to you. icon_smile.gif

CHoxie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #27 of 31

Well, here I am again. I have found a temporary position at a company about an hour from home. Not so bad, pays better than unemployment. icon_smile.gif Not sure if it will go permanent or not, but have taken it anyway, am still looking for something closer to home tho.

Thanks all for your prayers. I know I am not the only one out there going thru this, so my prayers are out to all of you as well. thumbs_up.gif

BTW, I did get to make some nice cakes while I was out, but now tht i am back to work, the orders did not stop. Actually, i have several do the next couple of weeks and already some due in July. I guess i can't complain. icon_biggrin.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #28 of 31

Good luck on your new job. I wish you the best on your job as well as your cakes! icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #29 of 31

Well Chris, I can sympathize with you. I was permanently laid off two weeks ago today. Glad you are keeping your chin up and forging ahead. That's all we can do at this point.

My daughters are 5 and 6, so I will be saving myself daycare expenses this summer. Just that alone will make it more $$ to draw unemployment benefits. Thank God my DH has a good job. I don't know what we'd do w/o that income.

My work had been on 32 hrs/week since Christmas, so after daycare I only brought home about $180/week. This summer my daycare would have been $104/week. DH got a promotion a few months ago and is bringing home $80/week more than before. You do the math... See how God worked that all out for me? He can do the same for others too.

nannie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #30 of 31

congratulations on the new job

I'm still hunting...

I know there's something good out thre somewhere

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%