Help With Stacking....

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake for a bridal shower, and I am wondering if I need to stack it using the plates and all.

I am using a 10 x 2. amd a 8 x 2 square pans. I am going to make double layers for both. Would I need to use the plates to stack, or could I just use dowel rods for extra protection.

Thanks

5 replies
armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

If you are planning to stack the 8x2 directly on top of the 10x2, you definitely need to use dowels. I wouldn't risk doing any stacking without dowels. This will prevent the 8x2 from sinking into the 10x2. If your plate has 'legs' already on it that pushes into the bottom cake, then you probably will not need extra dowels. Hope this answers your question. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #3 of 6

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered, stacked and layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Has links to illustrations of all the common cake support systems, with complete and accurate assembly directions.

At the minimum, you will need to use cakeboards and dowels between each tier/stacked layer of cake.

HTH

Rhonda19 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:23am
post #4 of 6

Thank you ....and yes it does answer my questions! I will most surely use the dowel rods!!! This is my very first cake with dowel rods and I am a little terrified!!

One other thing....I also intend to put a mini bride on top. I want to make my bride using fondant so she can keep it for awhile, instead of using cake. But...if I use all fondant, I am scared that it will be so heavy it will sink.

If I use a small circle of cardboard underneath the bride, do you think it would still sink??

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #5 of 6

When I make a fondant/gumpaste figure for a cake, I usually make a gumpaste base to stand or sit it on so that the entire thing can be lifted from the cake and preserved. It's also usually easier to support the figure onto the base than get it to sit or stand correctly directly on the cake. HTH

Rhonda19 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help. I think what the hostess decided is for me just to make a cake, and then make a gumpaste bride and bridesmaids and put them on a cake board by themselves and use it a center piece

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%