3 Dimensional Open Hands

Decorating By laweymers Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 1:32am by MBHazel

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:45am
post #1 of 5

How would I make a 3 dimensional set of open hands coming out of a round cake holding a little boy figure. I want it to represent a boy being held in the palms of God's hands. It is my idea of a first communion cake that is unique and less traditional. Would I make the hands out of rice krispie treats and cover in fondant? I've searched the internet and found no life sized molds for food that are 3 dimensional. There are plaster molds but that would be expensive and heavy. Any ideas??? I'm sure Duff could do it!

4 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:30am
post #2 of 5

No idea if this would work as I've never tried it but could you fill a latex glove with either rice krispy treats or chocolate and cut the glove away once it has set?

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:48am
post #3 of 5

Maybe a powder free vinyl glove would work. It might be worth trying. Thanks!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:37am
post #4 of 5

What about making your own molds?

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 5

Hi!! I wish I had a picture of a cake I did for a Bible class. We had to do a summary of the Old Test. and I did mine in cake. The first scene was a gumpaste/fondant hand (I only did one) with the earth resting on the fingers. I did a mold of my own hand and colored the gumpaste/fondant flesh color.

Because I had the hand fingers down and wrist up with just a slight curl in the finger tips the hand rested well on the cake and just needed a small about of support at the back on the hand.

I used food safe silicone to make the mold. Like ngfcake mentioned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%