Pearl Molds And Pearl Dust

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm by Susie53

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 8

I actually posted this earlier in the completely wrong category! Sorry

Hi, I am making a wedding cake for my husbands aunt (who is kind of picky). She wants it completely ivory, ugh, with small flowers around the sides of the cake. She wanted a buttercram shell border...but I talked her into doing a pearl border. I want to brush the border to make it look shiny, kind of like real pearls but I am unsure which dust to use, luster, pearl, petal. I am confused!! Also I am unsure about the molds to use for the border. What size, etc. How big about is a 12 mm pearl mold? I have no clue and don't want to order the wrong one. Oh and do dragees work well for the center of small flowers? They are on the smaller side and I have never used dragees before. Apparently I am doing all kinds of things I have never done before on this cake. I need help! Any clue? Any help is appreciated, I know it is alot of questions....Brandy

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, I wouls use Pearl lustre dust. You need to dust the mold really well with the lustre dust and then put the fondant in. The best peaerl makers are the CK silicone bead makers. They are a bit expencive but well worth. Here is a tutorial how to use them,

http://www.celcrafts.co.uk/CelClub/TutorCKBeads.htm

HTH.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 8

ditto the above, but we separate the pearls and roll by hand then throw in a container with super pear dust. there is a cake in my gallery with a blue pearl boarder. if you plan on doing a large cake with pearls as borders on all layer, better get started, kind of mind numbing, and time consuming.

calebsmom45 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much. Does anyone know about what size the 12 or 14mm are?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 8

I usually use # 8 pearls on most of my cakes. If you look at them (my history of posting) you will see # 8's. 12s are pretty big....

I do choc. pearls ALL the time.... if you need/want any advice, just yell, I'm more than happy to help you.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 8

I think 12mm is close to half an inch. Is that the units you are after? 25mm = 1 inch.

calebsmom45 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the help! The aunt actually decided to go elsewhere because I don't do buttercream. Thank God, I was dreading this one. But I know for next time

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I wouls use Pearl lustre dust. You need to dust the mold really well with the lustre dust and then put the fondant in. The best peaerl makers are the CK silicone bead makers. They are a bit expencive but well worth. Here is a tutorial how to use them,

http://www.celcrafts.co.uk/CelClub/TutorCKBeads.htm

HTH.

Thanks so much for posting this! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%