Another Cake Dummy Dummy....

Decorating By jmlawren Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm by kakeladi

jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, So I'm using cake dummies for the very first time. I ordered them from Taylor, the ones with the contoured edges and everything. I'm searched the forums and read tons of posts about dummies... but I'm still nervous about this whole process. I'm planning on covering with fondant not BC, but I'd like to be able to reuse them. I also don't want the little divots in the foam showing through the fondant. I tried covering with press and seal...It looks like I've traded divots for wrinkles( so I'm not terribly happy with the result). I'm terrible with Saran wrap (mine doesn't stick to anything but itself and I can foresee the same issues I had with the press and seal. I also read something about packaging tape somewhere....but if I mess that up I'm done. Any advice for a newbie?

2 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 3

FIRST OFF...RELAX...IT'S STYROFOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i personally covered my first couple in packaging tape...the last few i haven't covered in anything! i really don't see why you have to, cause you can wash the styrofoam if you need to.

as for the wrinkles, don't worry...they won't show if you use fondant at 1/4 to 1/2 inch like industry standard. (most use 1/4). i use a medium consistency royal icing, trowel it on and then lay your fondant over it and smooth down. the royal icing fills in the wrinkles, then the fondant does it even more, and you just end up with a smooth surface!

seriously, don't be scared of the dummy...at least not styrofoam ones!! i love doing them more than cakes, honestly, because i don't have to worry about stability issues, they're lighter than a feather to carry around compared to a cake, and i can take as much time as i want doing them without fear of going stale.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 3

You really don't have to cover it w/anything but the fondant. A *very* light spray of water will allow the fondant to stick to the foam and still be removable. If you roll it a tad thicker those 'divots' (not sure I understand what that is) should not show thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%