Help, Did I Just Waste My Time

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm by cylstrial

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a tiara out of gumpaste, and since I'm not very "crafty" I used a template found on this site and thought I would tape it on a criso can and cover the template with wax paper. I used my clay extractor to make snakes and when I went to "trace" the template with the gumpaste it didn't want to stick to the wax paper. So I used some clear piping gel to get it to stick. I'm wondering now what is going to happen when it dries and I go to take it off??? Will it stick to the paper and break the tiara?? Was there a better way to do this?

8 replies
cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 9

wow... with piping gel it may stick, remove it slowly and carefully. Next time no gel and try parchment paper, it's not as slippery.

AfordRN Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 9

I was able to peel the wax paper off, but the tiara feel apart because I didn't have enuf spots where the gumpaste was touching I it got too unstable. Might try to humpty dumpty it back together with royal icing on the back side. Lesson learned!!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 9

I've never made a tiara with gumpaste before, but maybe try using royal icing to glue the gp pieces together to make it sturdier.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 9

Sugarshack has a tutorial on her blog. It's a different kind of crown but I bet it would work for that type of crown. She smeared crisco on wax paper and that helped the gumpaste cling to to paper. Sorry about your crown breaking. I had one crumble the first time I made it and it was sad. icon_sad.gif

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 9

I'm sorry about your tiara! That sucks! Did you get it to go back together with the RI? Or did you have to make another one?

AfordRN Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 9

When I tried to glue with the RI, the piping gel was so sticky it would stick to everything but what I wanted to. I ended up tossing them and made new ones out of RI, as I've done that before and I needed them by Sat, so didn't know if that was enough time for GP to dry. I'll try another GP tiara, but I'll use Sugar Shack method and roll it out. Now if I could just get my buttercream to not sag on the sides!! icon_mad.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 9

I'm glad that you got it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%