How To Space Writing On Sides Of Cake??

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 11:43am by cakebaker1957

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:53am
post #1 of 7

Is there a trick to spacing the writing on the sides of a cake and getting the words even all the way around? Vertically even? So the words are an even distance from the bottom of each tier?? I am not sure I am explaining this well....here is a picture similar to what I want to do....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305203

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 7

Probably the best way is going to involve extra time. Write everything out on paper the size of ea tier w/proper spacing and lettering style.
Turn the paper over and re-write it; now pipe over that w/royal icing OR piping gel. If RI, allow to dry - at least a couple of hrs; if gel, use right away.
Place this on the cake and lightly rub. RI will leave an imprint; gel w/leave the gel behind to follow w/your piping bag.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

That's a good idea, kakeladi. But if piping gel dries, it's still ok to use, it will just imprint like the royal would.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

Waxed paper is what I use... take and make it the size (width and height) of your word(s) you wish to write... then put it over your font (I copy it from my computer to the printer... lay the waxed paper over the letters and outline them... then fill in the letters with your icing... let it dry somewhat and place it directly on your cake... works like a charm every time. (I make several copies of the waxed paper to use in case of mistakes, etc... it also helps me to take one piece of waxed paper without any icing and place it on the cake to insure the letters are exactly where I want them).

If you wish to use fondant for letters, you do the same process, but in reverse... put the waxed paper with the outline of the saying on top of the fondant and press the outline with a sharp Exacto knife... I love how that turns out, too.

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

You could also try the pinprick method. Print or write the word on a sheet of paper, poke through from front to back with a pin. Then, you can press the paper against crusted buttercream, and it will leave a trail of tiny dots you can follow with your piping.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you ladies! I think I'll do a test cake this weekend and try both of these methods!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:43am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Waxed paper is what I use... take and make it the size (width and height) of your word(s) you wish to write... then put it over your font (I copy it from my computer to the printer... lay the waxed paper over the letters and outline them... then fill in the letters with your icing... let it dry somewhat and place it directly on your cake... works like a charm every time. (I make several copies of the waxed paper to use in case of mistakes, etc... it also helps me to take one piece of waxed paper without any icing and place it on the cake to insure the letters are exactly where I want them).

If you wish to use fondant for letters, you do the same process, but in reverse... put the waxed paper with the outline of the saying on top of the fondant and press the outline with a sharp Exacto knife... I love how that turns out, too.

lutie will BC icing work like this?? Sorry for interupting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%