I Need Ideas!!!! Orange/black Not For Halloween Cake!

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm by kakeladi

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 12

I have had a request for an orange flavored cake for a high school reunion/60th birthday combined. The school colors are orange and black! Thanks goodness she wants white icing atleast with orange and black decorations. She needs 100 servings. I am thinking 12/10/8 will give around 120 servings. My biggest concern is the design! I am thinking 3 tiers orange/black/orange borders with a 60 on top to incorporate the birthday. Maybe panther paws going up the side (school mascot) If anyone has any creative suggestions they would be appreciated!! (or any suggestions at all for that matter!)

TIA

Also, I have looked at the wedding cake orange recipe, but if anyone has a great orange cake recipe to share that would be great!!!

11 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 12

My son graduated from a school who's colors are orange and I made his grad. cake it is a 3 tier cake with white and orange frosting it is in my pics I kind of liked it, if you have time look at it I hope this helps

Molly

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 12

Unless it's a requirement maybe you could do patterns in the orange and black colors. something like geometrical figures (it's easy) or you could cut a templeate of some swirls or something fancy and combine both colors.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 12

Unless it's a requirement maybe you could do patterns in the orange and black colors. something like geometrical figures (it's easy) or you could cut a templeate of some swirls or something fancy and combine both colors.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 12

how about a stripey cake, some thick some thin? or the circle patterns that still seem popular?
what year did these people graduate? what was going on then - the big songs, movies that year? types of clothes, shoes, hair? could eb some good ideas along thos themes.
xx

tonia3604 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Keep them coming!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 12

You could do white and black designs on the outside of the cake and make the inside orange with food coloring like you'd do a red velvet cake. Maybe put orange paw prints on the outside too so that there's orange and black in the design.

tonia3604 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 12

Anyone have any thoughts on the sizes of cakes to do to come closest to 100 serving??

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 12

What if you did a marbled cake (Vanilla/chocolate) and dye the vanilla orange and chocolate black - that would be a suprise when cut!

do you bake from scratch or box/doctored:

here is a doctored orange cake recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2196-Dreamy-Orange-Cake.html

HTH

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 12

I got the recipe for a "beat and bake orange cake" from the recipes section on this site, and it is fantastic (particularly with chocolate frosting).

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 12

Is their mascot the black panther or the orange/black spotted? If the latter, maybe you could do the middle tier of the cake with the spotted pattern.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 12

3 tiers to serve 100: the lgst oval (from the set) then top w/an 8" & 5"round OR 12, 9, 6 rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%