Store Brand Butter Vs. Land O'lakes

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 9 Dec 2016 , 6:17pm by Amy-Nicole

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 24

I'm sure this is discussed somewhere here in the forums, but I've been unable to find it due to the limitations of the search engine.

I've always used Land O'Lakes butter, but I just noticed how much cheaper the store brand butter is. Is there any difference, both for cakes and for icing?

23 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 24

There is a difference. But frankly i use the store brand unless i can get land-o-lakes on sale. Most importantly is if you are using different brands of butter in your icing to use the same brand for all your batches for a cake, or you run the chance of the icing being different colors.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 24

Aldi Supermarket carries an excellent butter. The brand is Happy Farms 1 lb (4 quarters) costs $ 1.89.
When I use it for my pie crust the wonderful smell permeates the house. icon_smile.gif

http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 24

I just have to comment! I live overseas and do most of my shopping at a military base commissary. I have two butter choices: Land o'Lakes and Challenge brand. The Challenge is significantly cheaper, but this is a case where you get what you pay for. Everything that I have used the Challenge butter in (cakes, icing, cookies, pie crust) has suffered in taste (and in the case of the cookies, consistency of spreading). So I'm a Land O'Lakes die hard. Hope you find one you think is as good for a better price!

norma20 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 24

Happy Farms butter from Aldi is perfect for cookies, cakes, pie crust, anything your heart desires. icon_biggrin.gif
There's just two ingredients on it: cream (milk) and natural flavorings.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 24

I actually only use the Great Value brand from Walmart. Land O Lakes is only purchased if for some reason I can't get to a Walmart. All the other brands seem to have too much liquid in them and make my BC soupy, GV brand is the best (and best tasting I think) and Land O Lakes is a distant second, but all the others don't even come close IMHO icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:35am
post #7 of 24

I use Challenge butter exclusively, except when I make IMBC, and then I use Central Market's European-style butter, both of which have a higher butterfat content, which makes a better butter.

There hasn't been a store-brand butter I've tried that even remotely came close to Challenge and CM's European-style butter.

norma20 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 24

Sweetstory, if possible you should try President butter, it's great and it's French.

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 24

I use Great Value unsalted butter from Wal-Mart for my cakes. I think it is very good and have won 1st place awards using it in my Sour Cream Pound Cake. I have thought about using Aldi brand but have been a little hesitant, I don't want the quality of my cakes to be compromised.

Has anybody used the block of butter from Sam's, with good results? (not sure of the brand)

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 24

I have used the sam's club brand and it does just fine in my icing and cake recipes. The unsalted butter comes in 1 lb blocks, the salted butter is already divided into quarters.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #11 of 24

I also use GV brand from Walmart often, but Land O' Lakes can't be beat in taste and performance....IMHO! I've also never had luck with anything from Sam's....it's usually more $ than my local WalMart pound per pound and other items I've used such as powdered sugar and eggs, have really been disastrous! However, others use product exclusively from Sam's and swear by it, so I'm sure it's just a matter of taste and what we're accustomed to!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:49am
post #12 of 24

I haven't really detected a difference from store-brand butter versus LOL or --my personal favorite--Plugra, when baked IN the cake, but I always use the Plugra for icing. Like the aforementioned higher-end butters, it has a high butterfat content. At my local Trader Joe's, the store-brand butter is $2.79/lb and Plugra is $3.29/lb. For 50¢ it's worth it. Strangely enough, our restaurant supply store, which has fabulous prices on many cooking tools and foods, sells Plugra for $5.29?! So you can't always find it for such a great price. I think LOL runs about $5 in the supermarket, doesn't it?

If you don't have a TJ's, I agree with PP/try to buy LOL on sale, sometimes you can find it 2-for $5. Just pop it in the freezer.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 24

I will attest that the Euro Butters give a Moister cake. It costs more but well worth it.
I use Plugra btw, and Walmart brand when I do kids cakes.

My wife won't let me use anything else now! ;P

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #14 of 24

What are the euro butter brands? Can you get them at Trader Joe's? What other stores might I be able to find them in?

Has anyone ever tried half and half or cream instead of water in their mixes? Does it make a difference in taste and texture?

Thanks!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #15 of 24

I use Aldi and love it. I saw a documentary recently that confirmed my suspicions. Aldi manufactures for big name brands... their butter is probably Land O Lakes in an Aldi wrapper. LOL icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: Lynnscakes... I have won for southern-style biscuits and the Hidden Valley Fresh Taste for the Family contests using Aldi brand butter. I'm very impressed with it.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #16 of 24

You know, there may be a difference but I am not sure. I use the cheapest I can find. I used to use Land O lakes but it has gone up dramatically in my area. So now I use whatever is cheapest and have had NO complaints on difference in taste and have no shortage of orders. However, for IMBC or SMBC I would probably use a higher end brand but for right now I use the store brand or COSTCO Block for everything! But I still use butter and not margarine...

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #17 of 24

Sam's Club salted- 4lbs. I just freeze it until needed.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #18 of 24

I have been using store brand butter for all my baking and occassionaly I would purchase the imported butters from Ireland and Italy, other than color that they are paler there is absolutely no difference in taste. This is one place where you can honestly save your money and see no difference.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristieb11

What are the euro butter brands? Can you get them at Trader Joe's? What other stores might I be able to find them in?

Plugra IS a euro brand, or at least a euro "style" butter, and definitely at TJ's. At $3.29 it is a steal for high-end butter. As I mentioned, it's far cheaper than I can normally find LOL in the market.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheap stuff in my batter but my Costco doesn't have unsalted butter and Smart+Final butter is barely cheaper than the TJ's store brand...about $2.50/lb. I don't often see unsalted butter for under that price.

fknj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fknj Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:07am
post #20 of 24

I agree about the Great Value brand butter! I started using it and I have never received more compliments on the taste of my icing and cakes. I use the unsalted for kids cakes and 1/2 salted 1/2 unsalted for adult cakes. The kids like the extra sweet icing(so do I) but most adults find it a little too sweet!

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #21 of 24

I have just always used blue bonnett sticks. I get great reviews and everything is good. I have thought about changing just to see if theres something better out there.

hoosiergib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosiergib Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 6:09pm
post #22 of 24

You really need to research about those "Natural flavorings".  Why would butter or anything so simple need to have any type of flavoring added?  Check the label on salted butter and it will say, "cream and salt" with no need for added flavorings.  You might be surprised or shocked what those flavorings really are.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 6 Dec 2013 , 8:41pm
post #23 of 24

Here are the grading definitions for butter in the U.S.  I'm pretty sure the only ingredients can be cream and salt. (Not sure where the natural flavoring thing is coming from - I've never seen that on a package of butter in the midwest).

The quality of butter is based on its body, texture, flavour, and appearance. In the United States, the Department of Agriculture (USDA) assigns quality grades to butter based on its score on a standard quality point scale. Grade AA is the highest possible grade; Grade AA butter must achieve a numerical score of 93 out of 100 points based on its aroma, flavour, and texture. Salt (if present) must be completely dissolved and thoroughly distributed. Grade A butter is almost as good, with a score of 92 out of 100 points. Grade B butter is based on a score of 90 points, and it usually is used only for cooking or manufacturing. The flavour of Grade B is not as fresh and sweet, and its body may be crumbly, watery, or sticky.

The U.S. grade shield is usually found on the main panel of the butter package, but may be shown on the side or end panel. U.S. Grade AA and Grade A are the quality ratings most often seen. However, U.S. Grade B butter is also sold in some areas.

U.S. Grade AA
  • Delicate, sweet flavor, with a fine, highly pleasing aroma
  • Made from high-quality fresh, sweet cream
  • Smooth, creamy texture with good "spreadability"
  • May possess a slight feed and a definite cooked flavor.

U.S. Grade A

• Pleasing flavor
  • Made from fresh cream
  • Fairly smooth texture
  • Rates close to top grade
  • May possess any of the following flavors to a slight degree: Acid, aged, bitter, coarse, flat, smothered, and storage.
  • May possess feed flavor to a definite degree.

U.S. Grade B

• May have slightly acid flavor
  • Readily acceptable to many consumers
  • May possess any of the following flavors to a slight degree: Malty, musty, neutralizer, scorched, utensil, weed, and whey.
  • May possess any of the following flavors to a definite degree: Acid, aged, bitter, smothered, storage, and old cream; feed flavor to a pronounced degree.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Liz

Amy-Nicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy-Nicole Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 6:17pm
post #24 of 24

I know this is an older thread.  Thought I would update the Aldi info.   I only use salted butter.  Aldi's ingredients are pasteurized cream and salt.  That's it.  Also Grade AA. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%