Can I Use Egg Whites In The Carton For The Wasc Recipe?

Decorating By mscooper67 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm by malishka

mscooper67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscooper67 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 18

I attemped to find the answer in previous posts, but i'm running out of time. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sharon

17 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 18

Yes you can use the egg whites in the carton. That's what I use when I'm doing a lot of cake so that I don't have to throw away so many yolks.

mscooper67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscooper67 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood

Yes you can use the egg whites in the carton. That's what I use when I'm doing a lot of cake so that I don't have to throw away so many yolks.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Throwing away all those egg yolks was my major concern. I'm glad I won't have to do that now.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 18

...... Throwing away all those egg yolks was my major concern....

If you use my *original* WASC recipe you use whole eggs. No worry about using up egg yolksicon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 18

How do I find the *original* WASC recipe? I couldn't find it in the search but maybe I don't know exactly how it is listed. The one I made used egg whites. I liked the recipe but would prefer the use the whole egg. I have a wedding coming up and want to try this before. Thanks!

Cakegirl11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl11 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 18

Giving you a bump. I want to know how to use whole eggs in the WASC recipe too.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 18

bump

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 18

When I use the "WASC" recipe for variations that are not white cake I use 3 whole eggs instead of the 4 egg whites. But when I'm doing a white cake I strictly use whites only so that the cake is not discolored. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 18

this is it:

ORIGINAL WASC recipe:

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Right now I do not have a scratch recipe.
Over the next 4-5 months I can work on coming up with one but I will be baking at a *very* high elevation (8,500 ft) so that will effect the overall out come of the recipe.

The difference between only egg whites & whole eggs: Overall you will have a stronger cake using whole eggs. If you need/want a truer white color only white can be use but to me the differece is so slight it's not worth the loss of strength.
Ooooopps I forgot the salt - as usual! I seldom remember to add a generous dash of salt.
Some people say adding oil to a mix makes a better 'crumb'. I have stopped adding it once I found out you can make it w/o and still have a very tasty, moist cake. I discovered that when reading about sub'ing applesauce (or any fruit puree) for oil in recipes.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 18

I have always used the whole egg no matter which WASC recipe I use.
Of course, I am just a hobby baker, not selling stuff. I don't see a real color dif in the cake.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks everyone! I've been wondering the same thing!!

malishka Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 18

I used the chocolate WASC recipe last night. When my cake cooled in the pan, I couldn't take it out. then when it finally plopped out, the bottom part was not cooked and was stuck onto the pan.
Where did I go wrong? When I stuck my toothpick in before I took it out, it came out nicely. I have not had luck with this recipe.
Plus, my chocolate cake comes out being lighter than the dark chocolate cakes and it smells funny while baking. Is that normal?

kandu001 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 18

Hi Malishka,
I'm in Hollywood, FL too! What are you greasing the bottom of your pan with? I either use spray Pam and dust w/ flour or even better...cut out parchment to fit inside of your pan and your cake should come out perfect.

malishka Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #14 of 18

kandu001, hello fellow neighbor.
I spray my pan with a non stick cooking spray. I used to do the parchment paper cut out at all times. I ran out once and just sprayed the pan with pam and it worked great. Been spraying ever since and omitting the paper step.
This is the first time it has happened to me, so I guess i'll go back to cutting out my parchment paper.
Everyone is entitled to a disaster once in a while. lol

malishka Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 18

I forgot to mention that I baked another batch of the WASC chocolate recipe and served the cake yesterday and got really good reviews. I didn't charge this family for the cake because the little girl was my daughter's best friend. Well, the parents were so extatic about the cake, the mom gave me $200.

kandu001 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 18

Wow! Is it in your photos? I'd love to see it! Your cakes are beautiful!

malishka Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 18

thank you, I will post the picture tomorrow.

malishka Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 18

mscooper67
I read here on the CC that we can use egg whites from a carton. If however you don't have it on hand, I also read that you can use the leftover egg yolks for a mouse. The egg yolks are frozen in an ice cube tray and used to make a mouse when needed. Freezing them separately in thr ice cube trays lets you count how many you would need in your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%