Cake Fell Over

Decorating By donyell Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm by KoryAK

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone please help me! Below is my cake and a sample picture of the shape. bottom was 9'& 10', middle was 7'& 8' and top 5' & 6'. I was thinking maybe my bottom and middle was da problem. I transported in trunk and when I arrived the 2 tops had busted the bottom tier. Do you have to use 3 layers for each section when doing a whimsical / turvy cake. The middle section mid air with nothing supporting it underneath. I probably should have used a smaller bottom for the mid section or a larger top for the bottom section. I'm new to decoarting so please help!

Donyell,
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 15

What types of supports did you use? Did I read right that you didn't use any? If so, then that is def. the reason this cake fell. You can never ever ever not use supports, but that is even more important with a Topsy Turvy Cake.

Also, it looks like the cake doesn't have a center of gravity-where the center of each cake lines up perfectly.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 15

I'm very sorry that this happened to you icon_sad.gif...I've never done a cake like that myself but maybe some of the experts can give you some advice here.
Good luck!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15

Experience is a cruel teacher.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 15

Did you have any supports in your cake? If you didn't then that right there is why it fell. You need to have cake boards under each tier and dowels in each tier that has a tier sitting on it. If not, the weight of the top tiers will crush the bottom tier(s).

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 15

I've never tried a whimsical cake, but now I'll be sure to use supports.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 15

In reference to supports, of course Sandra Lee would disagree with you alllll about, but that's neither here nor there. icon_biggrin.gif

Wow....no supports? Did you research how to assemble one of thse before taking on such a monumental task? I don't mean that in a crticizing way, but that is just such a delicate setup, it must be researched and practiced. And transporting in the trunk? That part of the car is the worst place to transport any kind of cake! It's the part that bounces and slams around on bumps and wow....ok, lesson learned hopefully. Good luck next time, and remember there are lots of people in here willing to help with any questions you may have in the future! ")

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Experience is a cruel teacher.

So true... icon_sad.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 15

And that cake looked gorgeous by the way! icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 15

Even with supports the middle cake is too far to the side. In the final product, if you just looked at the base cake boards, they should all line up just like a regular cake.

Also, did you do the cut out method? Looks like you did and that's what I use too. It's a good method. But if you just stacked crooked cakes, that could have been a problem too.

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:05pm
post #11 of 15

Of course I used wood dowel supports and boards under each tier, but I can agree with koryAk about the middle tier being too far over. This is not my first tiered cake. Most of my cakes travel via my trunk. Normally I would have assembled at hall but because it had tons of dowels and was very stable. I was comfortable transporting in one piece. I guess I was looking for some info on stucture, not method. I know it has to be doweled. I was hoping for a technique or secret you seasoned decorators use. Thanks for responding

Thanks,
Donyell
LL

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 15

Here's instructions that I like to use. The diagram really helps to see how each layer sits inside the one below it. http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/TILTEDCAKES.htm

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 15

I tend to bake my topsy cakes from WASC which is dense and holds the carving, etc.
Your cake was still beautiful!!
~ Jaime

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 15

My first TT collapsed before my eyes. I know the reason that mine did, was because I was using a really moist cake, and I tried carving at it too much.

Also, I would recommend using the 3 layers vs. the 2. However, if you are getting the height that you need, then I am sure that is not the problem.

I also don't know what cake you are using, but my next TT will be with the WASC for sure.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 15

That second cake is really cute and I'm not sure why THAT one didn't have issues since its so far over too... maybe because the top one was to the left enough to balance the middle one being to the right... i really don't know lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%