Aaarrrghhh!

Decorating By evasmama Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 4:56am by evasmama

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:01am
post #1 of 7

I got this nice big carton of gorgeous strawberries yesterday, and I had some whites in the freezer so I thought, Hey! Angel Food! Strawberries! Tasty!

I've used this recipe a few times before (Alton Brown's) with success, and sometime in the past, I made a notation to grease the pan instead of not, as he instructs. Given the antique Bundt pan I use for AF, I'm assuming that when I first made it, it stuck badly because of technique or underbaking or something.

I must have used plain Pam before, but now I have Baker's Secret with flour in it. Like a dummy, I didn't think about the difference.

So what happens tonight? Cake looks gorgeous, nice brown crust on top and clean skewer. I invert the pan onto a rack and leave it. I come back half an hour later, remove the pan, and the cake has collapsed onto itself.

A half-inch of its depth is regular texture; the rest is gummy and dense.

DAMMIT!!! I can only hope that a slathering of macerated strawberries and unhealthy dollops of whipped cream will make it edible.

6 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 7

Send it my way! I won't complain, I promise. Angle food cake is my favorite cake! I don't even care much for cake but I can eat the heck out of some angel food cake. MMMMMM... strawberries and angle food.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 7

I'll fight mkolmar for it!!!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 7

Hee hee. Bring it.

I have to say though my DH would love to watch a fight involving whipped cream between 2 girls. icon_lol.gif He's such a pig sometimes.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 7

evasmama...sorry about what happened to your cake...it's sad that we learn from others misfortune...but, I would probably throw on those strawberries and whipped cream and dive in too...LOL!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Hee hee. Bring it.

I have to say though my DH would love to watch a fight involving whipped cream between 2 girls. icon_lol.gif He's such a pig sometimes.

TOO FUNNY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #7 of 7

Well, girls, I gave it a shot, but it tasted like crap. The texture was a mess. Plus, I broke with my previous change in the recipe; Alton calls for orange extract, I had used vanilla with success. I went with the orange this time, and did not like it! I chucked the rest of the cake. I hate wasting ingredients, but lesson learned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%