How To Get Dots Straight

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 3:27am by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 15

How do it get dots straight and equally spaced like below? Anyone made a template or something? I am sure it's an easy answer im just stumped.

The cake will be done in fondant.

TIA

Cakes are by pinkcakebox!
LL

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 15

Eyeball it. But just one dot at a time.

Make the first dots to go around the top edge, each one the same distance apart from the next then fudge them in when you see your first dot coming around. (or practice first on the pan you baked it in to get the proper placement)

The next row down would make a nice triangle if you drew in the lines between the dots. So the first dot in the second row drops halfway down the cake and lies exactly between the dots above it.

Then the bottom row lies around the bottom of the cake due South of the top most row.

Dotted thoughts for you.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 15

thank you.

easier said than done... but I think i will practice first on the pan... also I will cute a piece of cardstock to use as my horizontal guide....

thanks againg.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 15

I recently took a class with Ron Ben-Israel and he suggests using grid paper by encircling the cake and making pin pricks at the appropriate spots. Then pipe over the marks. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like just what those of us with OCD (that would be me) need.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchsugar

I recently took a class with Ron Ben-Israel and he suggests using grid paper by encircling the cake and making pin pricks at the appropriate spots. Then pipe over the marks. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like just what those of us with OCD (that would be me) need.

GENIOUS! Thank you. PLUS you can make a grid on your comp and have the right size spacing too. THankyou....

I <3 CC!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 15

What I did was get an impression matt from www.earlenescakes.com or www.cakesbysam.com and put it up against the cake and removed it and voila where it makes the impression place the dot. I believe they have two different size matts depending on how close you want to space them. I love the impression matts , use them all the time.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 15

I thought about an impression mat... what a good idea. I dont have time to buy one (cake is for Wed) this time but they look great!

i will keep that in mind! especially if I have to do a large cake, this one is going to be 3,5,7 X3inches. just a mini wedding cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

That's how I do it.

wmiliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wmiliz Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 15

OK - Before any shoots me, I know this is not "FDA approved".
I went to Menard's (like Home Depot) and bought a 6" piece of carpet runner protector. It's the clear plastic runner that has points on the back that keep it from sliding on the carpet. I use the points to mark the spacing on the cake. Simple & cheap.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiliz

OK - Before any shoots me, I know this is not "FDA approved".
I went to Menard's (like Home Depot) and bought a 6" piece of carpet runner protector. It's the clear plastic runner that has points on the back that keep it from sliding on the carpet. I use the points to mark the spacing on the cake. Simple & cheap.

lol. don't worry i can't aim worth crap! which is why I can't eyeball it either.

not a bad idea!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 15

I also use impression mats....but since you're pressed for time, I really like the grid-paper method! Great idea! You could make your own impression mat that way!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

That's how I do it.

Gimme five! icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:28am
post #13 of 15

Okay, so I used my diamond ateco cookie cutters to get the right size, then I went to my comp and made Diamonds based on those dimensions. Then I lined a whole bunch of them up point to point and printed. Used a striaght pin and poked through!

I think it worked pretty well. Kudos to those who an eyeball. I am just not that person.

BTW my cake looks crooked... okay so it might be alil but this pic makes it look bad! and all my tiers are the same height! I promise!

Round 3x3, 5x3, 7x3... i remember why I don't do 3x3 what a pain! thank god I got to cover it in fondant icon_smile.gif
LL

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #14 of 15

I eyeball it, but I know they make a mat that had concentric circles and gridmarks on it for dividing a cake. You set the cake on the mat and use the marking on it as your guide.

For me, that's just too complicated lol.

Oh and I can tell you that the decorators at Pink Cake Box definitely eyeball for this type of piping as well--they are a MAD talented bunch over there, and I was lucky to do my internship with them.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #15 of 15

How it should look....

. . . .
. . .
. . . .

me eyeballing it.....

. . . . .
. . . .
. . . . .

you get the idea.. but im weird like that. Ziab! so jealous! Computers and i get along great. I use them for monograms, patterns, and not dot templates lol. Easy for me than eyeballing something i will never get just right. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%