What Cause Dry Corners On Slab Cakes?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

I had a 9x13 slab cake come out of the pan the other day and the corners inside(That were in the pan) seemed very dry.I baked the cake at 325 on convection for about 40 50 minutes. This concerns me as I don't want my customers to complain that the sides or corners of their cake is dry.

Any suggestion? What might be causing this?

Laurel icon_wink.gif

4 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

Ya know, when I bake those size cakes (especially really high fat cakes, like chocolate), the corners do turn out dry because of (I'm assuming) how long it takes to bake the cake, even though I use a couple of flower nails. I just trim off the edges of the cake.

Have you tried Bake Even Strips? I sometimes use them on much larger rounds but haven't used them on quarter-sheet cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

The corners are dry because they are overbaked. They are overbaked because they are in the corner.

Here's a thread on how the science of baking strips works. I never bake a cake without them.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 5

LOL, BTW, I felt funny answering your question because you pre-date me by a year here, Laurel. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5

Ha!Ha! Cakepro...I am always learning no matter how long I have been here!!! I may just try baking strips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%