Need Idea For A "this Is Your Life" Cake

Decorating By weebles Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm by kakeladi

weebles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weebles Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 19

I will need this cake for March, so I have some time to come up with something detailed. It needs to serve 125. They would like a 3-D or tiered cake. I won't be using pictures on the cake as they are making a picture presentation already.

The birthday guy is a Fire Chief so I need to incorporate a firetruck and whatever else they ask of me - within reason! I have a big say-so on what the cake has on it so I'm not worried there.

I thought of using the book pan but I couldn't come up with how to use it for more then 2 "pages" of ideas.

I also thought of making a tiered cake with a road going around it with the Firetruck on the road and "milestones" at different points on the road but I don't have a good idea on how I would contruct the tiers with a road going around and up icon_confused.gif

Other than this I have no clue what to do!

ANY help will be appreciated, I open to ANY ideas!

Thank you in advance!

18 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 19

Does he travel? You could do royal icing transfers around the tiers of places he's been or events in his life. I have a cake in my photos called "Journey of Life" that I made for my hubby, I used pictures for the top, but the sides I did mostly out of gumpaste or royal icing transfers (i did cheat on a couple using craft embellishments, but you'll get the idea.) Hope this helps.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 19

There is a user on here that makes awesome road cakes. If I can think of her name or find her on here I will let you know. I think she has an instruction sheet written up!

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 19

I'm new, so I've been pouring through the gallery alot . I remember seeing a few picts that sound like what you're looking for. I hope it's ok that I'm posting links to cakes I didn't make. (!) As I said, I'm new, so I don't know all the *rules*

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1305727.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1299253

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1287366

I know there are lots more, these are just the first ones I found. I did a search for 'road' and tons of picts. came up.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 19

Oh and P.S.-
I forgot to say Welcome to CC weebles! And to you too mirda6275! Always glad to see new people!

KrissieCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 19

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=94878

I'm pretty sure this decorator is the one with the tutorial on how to carve out the road on this style. Do you want me to search for it? Is this the type that you are interested in? You could make a fire truck going up the road or something to tie into him being a firefighter...

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 19

Whe I read you post I had the picture in my head... KrissieCakes Nailed it that cake link she posted is perfect for what you are doing and it really would not be very hard you could even use suger cookie with royal icing for road signs... I cant wait to see your picture...

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 19

How about a large fire hydrant. Could be a tiered cake.

weebles Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 19

OH MY WORD!!! Hello to everyone! have been lurking on the site for ages and filling in the "Cake Book" I put together to keep all the handy hints and recipes at hand, BUT I didn't realize just how helpful everyone here really is until now! I wish I posted before! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED! icon_biggrin.gif

That "Road of Life Cake" is EXACTLY what I had pictured! Well, I have to admit it's actually better than I pictured!

I'm looking for that tutorial on making the road now - I have NO clue how to do that - add cake or carve??

A FIRE HYDRANT! Great idea! That will just HAVE to be part of this cake no matter what!

What does everyone think about making the firetruck to go on the road, out of rice krispies? I have never done anything out of rice krispies before - I bet I'll find a tutorial somewhere on here - I'll look!

Thank you all again!

KrissieCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:07am
post #10 of 19

I think the instructions were stuck in some posted topic, not an actual tutorial. I was trying to find them earlier and I couldn't find them. I'll keep looking later after I get my kiddos to bed!

creations08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations08 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:42am
post #11 of 19

If you feel you don't want to work with rice crispes, you can always try using a rectangular shaped foam, carve it out a little and cover it in fondant for your fire engine. Then just add a few fondant accents, like wheels, latter, hose, and whatever else can go on a fire truck.

Either way, using crispies or foamies, I bet your gonna have fun!

Good luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

weebles Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #12 of 19

KrissieCakes, I have been searching for quite a while now and haven't found how to make the road. I have figured out from some pics that it is carved but I can't seem to get the concept on making it one long road. icon_redface.gif

If you have the time to find out where the instructions were for that I would greatly appreciate it.

I did find out how to make the RKT! I had DH pick up the ingredients and I'm going to experiment with making stuff so I'm prepared! Can't wait to eat my experiments! If I can't get them to look right I'll go with the styrofoam idea! I really wanted the whole thing to be edible but for this cake, looks come first!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #13 of 19

I had pictured a tiered cake, piped/textured to look like a building and little firemen sat around on the tiers. Maybe some little royal icing ladders going up the sides/up to different tiers.

Maybe you could do multiple cakes like those vintage wedding cakes that have the cakes connected with lacy ladders, and make the ladders firemen ladders. and again put some fondant firemen around the cakes.

Doesn't exactly follow the "road of life" theme others have been suggesting, but I just thought I would give you another option.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 19

I think the "road of life" cake is a great idea for this cake!!! I have step-by-step instructions with photos that someone sent me once, I can email to you. If you're interested, just let me know your email icon_smile.gif

riSHEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riSHEL Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #15 of 19

I'm not much for making cakes, but I'll be trying to do one for our 25th Wedding Anniversary this year. I thought it would be neat to have a fondant film strip around the cake showing our years together. I'll try to attach a pic of one I saw on Yummy Arts and the link to see one on flickr. I'm using them as an inspiration and have no idea what will come out in the end. Good luck with your cake!

http://flickr.com/photos/cakespace/2490903220/
LL

riSHEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riSHEL Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #16 of 19

oops icon_sad.gif I just noticed you said you weren't using any photos on your cake. Silly me, must be a sign that it's time to go to bed icon_smile.gif Again, good luck with your cake!

weebles Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 19

riSHEL,
Thank you very much for your input! I LOVE that idea and put that pic in my album. My Dad's 85th birthday is coming up and that is the cake I will make for him! It'll go over REAL big, the family will love my surprise! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

weebles Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #18 of 19

Thank you to all who helped me on this cake! The inspiration, instructions and ideas from everyone were fantastic!

My daughters helped with the cake and even hubby got into it at the end! The host was very happy with the result and the b-day guy was moved to tears icon_cry.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

The pictures don't do the cake justice icon_sad.gif and there are a few boo-boo's, but we were still happy with the results. CC has really inspired us to do better next time!

Thank you to all again!
LL
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #19 of 19

Well you certainly made a fantastic creation! I can see why your customer(s) were happy with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%