So Annoyed With People!

Lounge By Amia Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 1:49am by Amia

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #1 of 26

So this crazy lady called my house all of last week looking for someone who doesn't live here. She claims she's a private investigator investigating a fraud claim filed with her office. What PI calls the person they've been hired to spy on? And who files a fraud claim with a PI? Then, this weekend, I saw that someone went through my trash! If it had been a stray animal, the trash can would've been on it's side and the bag ripped to shreds, right? The bags just had neat little holes in them. Then today I noticed this truck parked down my street. I left and when I came home, the same truck is parked in a different spot on my street! I've also noticed this truck driving by a lot...I live on a cul-de-sac....WTH? I don't know what they're looking for, but this is getting really annoying. icon_evil.gif What could they be after?

25 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 26

Weird icon_confused.gif My first thought was maybe someone turned you in for baking/selling thinking you may not be licensed? If it were me, I'd call the local police dept and let them know exactly what you just posted here. It's possible this person is trying to learn your comings and goings, for a break-in or something.
The truck parked outside tipped me off, get the license plate number, color and make and report it.

Not trying to scare you, just better to be safe than sorry.

good luck!

Amia Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 26

Well I don't bake and sell. Just family and some close friends get cakes. And yeah, it could be someone casing the joint for a break-in but we've gotten calls for this woman since we moved in 5 yrs ago. She must've had the number before we did. I'm wondering if it might be a repo-man. Do they do that?

If I see the truck again, I will call the police though. Whether it's a criminal or a repo, they have no business staking out my home! And you're not scaring me, I totally agree: better safe than sorry! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 26

Call the police. Don't wait for the car to be there. Call them now and give them all of this information. Request they start to cruise the neighborhood. Put the problem on the record. You can't be assured that YOU will be the one to spot the car the next time it's there. Do you have children? Are they ever home alone?

My husband is former law enforcement. He said to tell you to call them.....now.

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #5 of 26

I can tell you most PI's dont dig through your trash at the street. they would take the trash and go through it elsewhere.

Sounds like maybe they were looking for someone else, but definitely call the police. you never know better to be safe then sorry.

Amia Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitofsnshn

I can tell you most PI's dont dig through your trash at the street. they would take the trash and go through it elsewhere.

Sounds like maybe they were looking for someone else, but definitely call the police. you never know better to be safe then sorry.

Well that's what I thought...unless this lady is just a really really bad PI...and maybe I'm just assuming this is some crazy collection attempt since she mentioned fraud. We've been getting calls from creditors for 5 years too. I hope it's nothing more.

I will go call them. The sheriff's already cruise the neighborhood a lot, since there's an elementary school across from my backyard.

Oh and no, my kids are 2.5 and 1...so definitely not ever home alone!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #7 of 26

If it were me, I would walk up to the truck and take a picture of the occupant as well as the license plate. Every time it's there. Just to screw with them.

And definitely call the cops. Get it on record.

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 26

Very interesting. Make a journal and log everything. If you can get a license # (given its correct), * I am told * you can call the police and have them run it. Don't know personally. If you can find out who they are, maybe you can find out what they're after.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

Very interesting. Make a journal and log everything. If you can get a license # (given its correct), * I am told * you can call the police and have them run it. Don't know personally. If you can find out who they are, maybe you can find out what they're after.

I wouldn't bet on it. First, can you imagine the cost if everyone called the police dept to run a license plate? There's also a level of liability. We had an incident that I was being .... for lack of a better word ... harassed by a driver. Even tho' my hubby had been, and his dad and sister were in law enforcement, they wouldn't run the plate number I got. Think of the liability .... they run a plate and tell me who it is and where they live. Hubby goes on a rampage and goes over to beat the guy up for harassing his wife (while our 4 year old son was in the car, which is what REALLY ticked off hubby!) .... guy sues police dept for giving us the info that resulted in him getting beat up.

It may differ from state to state, so please don't take this as etched in stone. Just sharing our experience in this situation.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:31am
post #10 of 26

Here in Texas, we can pay a nominal fee to "run" a license plate ourselves, although it used to be free.

Here ya go: http://www.publicdata.com/

Go to the "View DEMO of current databases offerings" link and get an eyeful of what you can find out with just a simple license plate number.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 26

So THAT's what you were talking about last night. icon_lol.gif

I'd be really scared. Maybe the next time you see her you could take a pic with your cell phone or something?

I bet you we CCers could find that woman she is looking for in about 15 minutes, with our collective brain power and internet skills.

Amia Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

So THAT's what you were talking about last night. icon_lol.gif

LOL yeah! You aren't 'creepy lady' and facebook stalking doesn't count as spying. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for that site link Cakepro...if I see the truck again, I'll get the license plate.

I called the police and had to deal with a sheriff UGH! I hate them. He could not have cared less. My neighbor came by earlier and said the PI was asking questions yesterday (she gave him her name). So looks like it was her. And she was asking for me. I'm going to have to listen to her messages again because I swear she was asking for Ms. Davis (that's the woman who had our number before us and gets all the collection calls) and my last name does kinda sound like that, but not really. Not sure what "fraud" I've committed either, but she can sit and watch my house all day long.

krysoco Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 26

Did the PI ever state her name? Run it through google and the white/yellow pages. Next time she calls and asks questions, talk to her instead of hanging up. Pull as much info. out of her as possible. Maybe you can get down to whats going on.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 26

Whoa. This is way over the line. This sounds like something very, very personal. Bill collectors don't go through your trash. Yes, they will constantly call you and send you letters, but they don't sit in trucks at the end of your street day after day. Can you imagine how many people they would need to employ if that was how they went after people? There are hundreds of thousands of deadbeats out there, and they don't have time to go to these efforts for their money.

I wonder if it is first mistaken identity and she thinks you are someone else, or that someone else lives at you home. And second,I wonder if this is due to an affair (cheating husband, mistress, etc), or something along those lines.

Very, very weird. If the police are being worthless, just keep calling them and insist they put in a report. I one time had a maintenance man hang out in my apartment all weekend while I was away. He went through my drawers, watched my TV, sat in my bed. I called the police and they acted like I was a nut job. The police man was friends with the apartment manager so he refused to file a report. Makes me so mad to think about it, because I was 19 and stupid and didn't make them. You need to make them, because this ended up being a major issue for me.

Amia Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 26

Well he filed it, he just acted like I was inconveniencing him and making stuff up the whole time. That is pretty typical behavior for the county sheriff's here. I've dealt with several and it must be part of the job description to be an uncaring a-hole. One threatened to arrest me if I ever called them again.

I told my mom about it and she asked some coworkers and one had this happen to them. Without getting into my personal situation, let's just say that I now know what this could be about. I do know it isn't about fraud though. Thanks for all the help! icon_smile.gif

krysoco Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Without getting into my personal situation, let's just say that I now know what this could be about.

Aha, I think I'm following you on this one. Glad to know that you've made some sense of the situation.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 26

Not sure where you are located, but this sounds like the kind of thing that would make an interesting news story. Can you contact the local news station. They love to do reports on how unhelpful the police/sheriff can be. Plus then, maybe the "PI" will leave you alone.

Keep us updated.

krysoco Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:

Without getting into my personal situation, let's just say that I now know what this could be about.

Aha, I think I'm following you on this one. Glad to know that you've made some sense of the situation.

Amia Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I made some calls and this is about me, but it is also a case of mistaken identity. Very frustrating. icon_evil.gif

krysoco Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 26

Thought so.
Sorry you have to go through the whole PI thing.

Amia Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Thought so.
Sorry you have to go through the whole PI thing.

Well now she knows she's after the wrong person, but the company that hired her I still have to deal with. icon_rolleyes.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #22 of 26

oh man, I'm intrigued! Now I wanna know what's going on!

michellenj Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #23 of 26

I figured your eye patch would have thrown her off your trail for sure.

Amia Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #24 of 26
Quote:

I figured your eye patch would have thrown her off your trail for sure.

Me too. Glad I figured this all out before I had to move on to Plan B....dressing up like Richard Simmons.

michellenj Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #25 of 26

Yeah, you'll be invisible once you put on those shorty shorts and tank top in the dead of winter.

Please post pics to Facebook.

Amia Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #26 of 26
Quote:

Yeah, you'll be invisible once you put on those shorty shorts and tank top in the dead of winter.

Please post pics to Facebook.

You forget where I live! Everyone here wears short shorts and we have no winter! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%