Anyone Else Have A Dream In Indianapolis, In.???

Business By Leetzie Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:51am by SugaredUp

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 10

Back in Sept. 2008 I found a pic of a 3D R2D2 cake and wanted to try to make it for my son's birthday (March 2009). I didn't have any experience baking or decorating cakes at the time. I started doing some research online, watching youtube videos, etc... So I decided to get the ingredients for MMF and mess around with it to see if I could do it. I made my very first 3 tier Topsy Turvy Cake (pic is in my profile). As it turned out I found that I loved making the cake! I have always been artistic, was voted most artistic in graduating class and could have went to art school on scholarship but at the time didn't want to make a career out of art. Who knew that 17 years later I would find my talent again! I have made several cakes so far and just recently ventured into butter cream and love it! I have to say that since I have discovered my love for making cakes it is all I think about! I want to start up a business. I know the state of Indiana requires a seperate kitchen if it is home based so I am not able to do that at this time. I also know it takes a lot of money and time to open a business outside of the home. So, how do I go about starting a business if I do not have the client base because I can't operate out of my home? I am looking for someone else in my area that has the same passion and dream that I do? I guess I am looking for someone that I can partner up with if anyone is interested. Please PM me if you would like to chat with me more.

Thanks,

Lisa

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 10

Hi Lisa, How great that you've found your passion. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetzie

So, how do I go about starting a business if I do not have the client base because I can't operate out of my home? Thanks, Lisa

Here are some previous threads on this subject:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614264-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585024-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-581973-.html

Long story, short version... The consensus is that the HUGE liability of being unlicensed is not worth the small amount of income generated.

Better alternatives might be:

work at a local bakery, caterer's, etc.

take decorating classes

rent a commercial or church kitchen, etc.

bake, decorate and donate cakes to nursing homes, womens' shelter, etc.....

HTH

2Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2Cupcakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 10

Check out this month's member spotlight, IndyDebi! thumbs_up.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 10

Leetzie,
I got a kick out of your comments. I won all the art awards, I got the art scholarship and went to art school. I am from Indy, Castleton, to be exact. Fast forward. I now live in SW Forida just off the Gulf of Mexico. Next week I celebrate 8 years of owning a custom, designer, by appointment only wedding cake shop, with an assistant, plus a new venture, a weekend designer cupcake business at my local farmer's market.

I went to work for a caterer, doing all of her wedding cakes in her fully licensed shop. I got all my license in "my business name" at her shop, too! In 6 months, I out grew her location and I signed my first lease for 950 sq foot. I still "do" the cakes for the caterer and she and I are great friends.

You can do what ever you want to do. It takes money, hard work and the passion you already have. My parents taught us to make sure my steps were in the right direction to accomplish my dreams icon_cool.gif
I laugh when people come in my shop and say, This is my dream, I say, you are standing in mine!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 10

I know I can't operate out of my home and I want to do things the legal way. I had thought about doing things out of my home for sale until I came across CC. I never knew about all the licenses you need and the fines you can get for running under the radar. So, I guess what I will do is make cakes for personal use or get some cake dummies for practice. In the meantime if anyone else from the Indy area is interested in getting into the cake business please contact me. I definitely want to open up my own licensed shop but it will probably take a few years and I don't want to wait that long.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. I don't want to get into any trouble for doing things wrong. I would have never known about all of this if it weren"t for all of you on CC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:50am
post #6 of 10

Let's talk, darlin'! PM coming. thumbs_up.gif

(Hey! you joined CC on my birthday! That HAS to be a sign!)

Kelcie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelcie Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #7 of 10

Leetzie, I am also interested in using my cake decorating skills and am trying to figure out all of the legal "stuff" that goes along with it. I am just southwest of Indianapolis and would love to talk to you more about it. Let me know what you think.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 10

Hi Lisa,
Just checking in with you to see if you found any solutions. I am waiting to hear back from a few churches that I called about renting their commerical kitchens...not sure where in Indy you are, but that might be an idea for now. I can't afford to add a separate room on to my house or seem to find affordable space right now,...so I am in the same boat as you.
Good Luck and keep us updated !
Kristy

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 10

No advice, I just think you are the luckiest person on earth! The is no indydebi in my town! icon_cry.gif

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:51am
post #10 of 10

I was thinking that, too, MessyBaker! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%