Using 3D Candy Molds With Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:06am
post #1 of 7

Good evening all,
I recently ordered a 3d (2-sided foldover) candy mold of a teapot and teacup. They have not yet arrived but I'm so anxious for them to get here so that I can try them out!

I'll be using a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mixture. My question is... when filling the cavities, I'm guessing I would just press the mixture in to make a 'shell' rather than filling the halves, yes? When I close the mold, will the 2 halves stick together enpugh to remain one piece when I re-open it for removal, or would I have to make it it 2 halves and glue it together after?

Any helps, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 7

You can try moistening the ridge so the 2 haves stick together.
I would make 2 pieces & glue them together later.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 7

Kakeladi is right....We first got started with using molds with chocolates...We would either do a solid pour or a hollow creation like you're trying to achieve...Granted, the solid pour seems easier because your "glue" can be in the center and not seep out....However, if you do a hollow, then wet the edges and press together.

HTH

Paul & Peter

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 7

interesting. I'll have to give it a try..

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 7

I would use gum glue. Did you know there's a DVD on what you are describing? http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21939

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 7

If you are using gumpaste, you can do them hollow and let them dry really well, after they dry it they dont fit well you can make a roll of fondant and glue it on the borders attaching both sides. Press it gently but enough that they press together. Then cut with an exacto knife the exces gumpaste that pop out after you pressed it. Let it dry well and sand the edges smooth.
Hope this helps
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%