Dh In Hospital

Lounge By barbaranoel Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 3:12am by kellertur

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 86

Yesterday my dh had an MRI because of some numbness in his right leg and arm. Its been getting worse since the end of the year.

While we were at the Imaging Center they called our family dr from there and he sent us home to pack a bag and make a arrangements for the kids and then sent us to the ER at Riverside Hospital. They said that if we make an appointment it could be 6-8weeks before we could get in anywhere but if we went straight there then he would be seen right away.

At this point no one was really telling us anything. We sat in the ER until they finally admitted him into a room at 12am! 10 1/2 hrs waiting.

Good thing my FIL was there with a sense to ask questions I couldn't even think of. He has a 5cm "mass" on his brain, they aren't sure what it is right now. It could be a tumor, a fungal infection or leftover from a brain bleed. They are giving him steroids every 6hrs and then they are going to do a MRI today to see if there's any change and then we have a consult with the Neurologist this morning. I am sitting here at the hospital already waiting for her to do her rounds so she can tell us more of what is going on.

I guess we lucked out last night and Dr Bay was the dr on call. She is supposedly the best in the state.

The boys are staying at my in laws until we know more of what is going on. I went home last nite to get a few hours sleep but that didn't work so well. Our 17yr old cat was upset because all his babies weren't in their beds so about every hour he woke me up screaming to inform me that they weren't there. icon_cry.gif

I just had to talk about it somewhere. I keep crying if I think about it too much.

Barb

85 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 86

I am so sorry you are going through so much right now. Keep us informed on how he is doing. Try to get some rest. {{{hugs}}}

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 86

sorry to hear about this ... hope all goes well for you and your family ..

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 86

So sorry to hear this, will keep you all in my thoughts.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 86

I'm so sorry to hear what you all are going through. I hope you hear some news soon, in th meantime try to take it easy, I'm sure everything will work out fine. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ((huggs)) As justducky said, please keep us informed.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 86

Dear Barb, try to stay positive and know that all of us here are sending our thoughts and prayers that your husband will be o.k. Please keep us posted if you can, you'll be in my thoughts all day.

God Bless!
Deb

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 86

I know you don't know me but we are all one big family and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Here's hoping you will all go home soon. icon_biggrin.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 86

Def. keep us posted. At the least it'll keep your mind occupied for a lil bit. I'm glad to hear yall snagged a good doc. I didn't know a fungal infection could possibly cause a brain mass either. I hope that your DH's problem is minor and can be easily fixed. In the medical profession, you need to ask questions. I can't stress that enough. Whatever his outcome is, get on-line and research everything you can on it. Make a list of questions & concerns, then address your issues w/ the doc & nurse. Don't rely on them to inform you about anything. Docs and nurses are understaffed and overworked. They are human, can make mistakes, or can fail to inform you of serious info. You have to step up to the plate. Don't be afraid to ask doc. or nurse anything. Believe me, they have heard it all. It would be refreshing to them to have someone show an interest in what they're doing. Sending hugs and prayers your way. Also sending some 'get well soon' vibes your DH's way!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 86

Barb,
May God keep your husband safe and be happy and positive, good energy has remarkable healing powers. Hang in there. Big Hug!

barbaranoel Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 86

Thank you to everyone.

The neurologist was in this morning and she said that right now they don't know exactly what kind of tumor it is. On Monday they are doing a FUNCTIONING MRI where they keep him lucid (he had terrible claustrophobia we just found out on Friday) and have him do different motor functions so they can "map" where the nerves are and when they do surgery on Tues or wed. they can avoid any major areas.

He should be in recovery 2-5days after that and then go home and have 2-4wks at that point.

Dr did not seem anxious to get it out right now, we can wait a few days and get everything done right. So for right now, things are looking up, but things could change on Tues when they actually get in there.

But for right now, he is sitting in a reclining bed watching cable tv and has his lap top and wii fii hookup and someone waiting for him to press a button and answer his every whim icon_confused.gif

I did have to ask them to move him to another room when one comes open, his roomie is a snorer and Chris didn't get hardly any sleep. But they are super nice here so its good.

Barb

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #11 of 86

Do put your faith in a loving God who loves to heal. Prayers added to all the others that this will be a minor bump in the road of life.
I will be praying that God controls the hands of the dr during surgery and that His love will be shown thru all the drs and nurses that take care of Chris.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #12 of 86

Oh I'll be praying for you all not to mention that the cat will pipe down a bit (just trying to make you smile). Hopefully all will be well soon. I totally feel your anxiety. Take it one step at a time. I hope it's just gonna be a real easy fix and he'll be back good as new soon.

When I get in spots like this I try to think of God having set the automatic pilot for me. He's taken the yoke so there's no mountain I can't safely fly over.

Keep us posted.
Love & Prayers,
Kate

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:32am
post #13 of 86

Hi, we are all anxious to know how you and DH are doing, and hoping that you are all right, just too busy to post.

Please let us know how you are as soon as you can.

Many thoughts and prayers are with you.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:53am
post #14 of 86

I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's health problems Barb, and I hope things are improving. Everything sounds so scary, I just don't have anything to say except my thoughts are with you and your family.

barbaranoel Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:44am
post #15 of 86

This is what I know so far:

Dr. was able to remove 80% of the mass. It is Malignant Stage 3-4 we won't know that until further tests.

It is 3:30am and as of now Chris doesn't really know what's going on, he keeps asking but the dr said for us not to say anything she will be in earlier in the morning to talk to him. She said it's her job to tell him.

So for right now I am sitting here telling him I was too much of a basket case since 4:00pm (the time the surgery started) to hear much of anything so Dr will tell us both in morning.

She did say with chemo and radiation it should be ok.

We are probably in the hospital for 2-5 days more. But again, its all a hurry up and wait game. Now we wait for the dr to come in and tell us what to do next.

Finally about 10p I sent everyone else home last nite because I got sick of hearing them all say "Be strong" for chris, it will be ok, things happen for a reason.

I DON'T CARE!! I wanted my own little pity party if for nothing else then last nite. It's 3:30am and I'm feeling a little stronger, a little more hopeful. They won't let me sleep in his room. If I want to sleep I have to go to the hard plastic couches in the waiting area where 10 other people are snoring away. So I decided if I couldn't sleep and I was just listening to someone snore I might as well be in his room so I am here sitting on the lap top wasting time til the dr. comes in in the morning.

Barb

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:37am
post #16 of 86

Oh Barb. I am so sorry. I understand people saying all the right things, but I completely get your wanting to be alone for your own pity party! Hang in there...and know that we are all here to listen.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 86

I'm so sorry you are both going through this.

Sending many positive thoughts you way.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 86

I'm so very sorry you and your family are having to go through this. I know you've probably heard it all, so I'll just leave you with that you are and will be at the top of my prayer list and I will pray fervently that Chris will make a full recovery through this. God bless you all.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 86

Barb,
i know you dont know me but you and your family are in my thoughts,
i am sending you all lots of good energy to help you get through this.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 86

Barb
It is good news really- atleast they caught it in time and removed a large chunk of it. The remaining should clear up with treatment. I know chemo and radiation is not the nicest thing in the world but trust me its ALOT better then finding out too late....God be with you and Chris.
Love and a BIG hug.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #21 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

She did say with chemo and radiation it should be ok.

Hang on to that! They don't like to say that unless it is true. Chemo and radiation are really hard on the body so now it will be your turn to be HIS cheerleader to "be strong". I highly recommend reading Lance Armstrong's book about how he beat cancer. It was REALLY bad for him, malignant and had spread to at least 3 places. But he beat it and won the Tour de France again (and again?).

Regardless of what he or anyone else went through though, what a horrible ordeal for your husband, you and your family. Major (((hugs)))) to you.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:48pm
post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

I DON'T CARE!! I wanted my own little pity party if for nothing else then last nite. It's 3:30am and I'm feeling a little stronger, a little more hopeful.

Barb

"It's your (pity) party and you can cry if you want to!"
but seriously, my thoughts are with you.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #23 of 86

Barb,
I am so sorry to hear what you're going through. You will definitely be in my prayers!

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #24 of 86

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers Barb. Try to get some rest too! I hope things start to get better real quick for you guys.

barbaranoel Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 86

Update:

Yesterday was officially the worst day of my life icon_cry.gif The dr told dh that the tumor was malignant. I had several hours already to deal with it he didn't learn about it until 15hrs later. I never want to go thru that again.

Now onto the good news!! He gets to come home tomorrow! She said he could come home today if he insisted but final pathology report on the tumor isn't done til tomorrow so Dr will be in to give us treatment options and all.

I can't believe he has brain surgery on Tuesday and he can go home on Thurs. But we decided one more night in the hospital he could have them clean it better and he can get a little stronger.

Things seem to be coming more in focus and we are more in control. Now if tomorrows news doesn't rip us apart again we'll be fine.

Thank you to everyone for your concern, well wishes and prayers. It's nice to know that you are all there when we need each other.

Barb

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #26 of 86

Oh Barbara, I'm so so sorry that you and your husband and family are going through this.

We are always here for you when you need us to lift your spirits.

I'll keep you all in my prayers and I hope it won't be long until your DH is feeling strong.

God Bless!
Deb

Divous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divous Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:43am
post #27 of 86

Barbara God Bless You & your family ! I will be praying for you. Riverside is a good hospital.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #28 of 86

Continuing prayer for Chris' complete healing. May God strength both of you. He hasn't left you two.......He is carrying you thru these tough timesicon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #29 of 86

Oh Barbara, I am so sorry for you. I will say a prayer for him, and of course for you too. Please let us know what his prognosis is.

barbaranoel Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:27pm
post #30 of 86

Oops, I was wrong.... Friday Jan 23 is NOW the worst day of my life.

The prognosis over all is not good. The tumor is a glioplastoma. Which is the worst kind. The best she can hope for is to keep him going year to year until there is a cure. But he has years to go!

There was no cure for Luekemia a few years, now there is so there is hope.

She is going to send his scans to the James Cancer Institute, Duke University and Cleveland Clinic. Right now, Duke is doing the most promising research with stem cell research and everything.

He has on his side: age - he is only 37 and the majority of men with this is over 50, an excellent immune system (she says his body has been fighting this for over a year now which is amazing in itself), and we are willing to fight with any kind of treatment we can find. And if he ever needs more surgery the "door" is already there.

The good thing is that right now is the worst he will get. Its not like a degenerating disease. The symptoms will never get worse if anything they will get better for a while and then when and if it ever gets worse it will be immediately.

Just thought I'd give you all an update.

He is home now. We need to make an appointment with the oncologist and radiologist and start planning those treatments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%