Oven Not Big Enough Now What?

Decorating By mommakristin Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 12:44am by mommakristin

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 4

Okay I need a little help here and fast please!

I made a 16x2 square pan cake. Mixed it all up put it in the pan loaded it in the oven and didn't check ahead of time and well,, my oven was not quite big enough. Well it did go in the oven but came out lopsided.

My question is this. Can I shave off the part that baked higher than the rest and use it to build up the lower side without compromising the overall cake?

This is a simple one layer square cake with a simple bow on top so we aren't talking about any layering or having to tier it. They want it covered with MMF.

I just really don't want to have to rebake the cake.. I did not realize when I said I would do this cake that my daughter also had a cheerleading national competition the same weekend. So I have lots going on and baking another cake just would throw a huge bump in my road this weekend!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 4

I would at least try what you suggested. Most likely it will work. I'm just a bit concerned that the 'splicing' of cake will show thru the MMF covering.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 4

just an idea..When my cake pan wouldn't fit and it went tilted in the oven
when I shut the door. I put four ramikin cups turned upside down on the rack to lift the pan from the tilt in the back of the oven rack. it lifts the pan high enough you can have a level cake.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help! I will try this first before I bake it again. If I have to bake it again it will have to wait till tomorrow night and I will just be up all night getting it ready!

I will be covering it with mint green MMF with light pink polka dots and a bow on top. Hopefully it won't show through.

Will post a pic when done.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%