Gum Paste Issue

Decorating By kaansa Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:06am by Creative_chika

kaansa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaansa Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 15

I recently made a cake with gum paste grass coming out of it. This was my first time making items with gum paste. The gum paste grass was completely dry before I put them on the cake. I assembled the cake an hour before taking it to the party. By the time the party started, the grass was sagging--the part of the gum paste sticking into the cake was now soft and not supporting itself. I used a Wilton gum paste mix. What did I do wrong?

14 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 15

How many days did you let id dry?...
Edna

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know, because I had this same problem with a MMF/gumpaste mix bow. I made the loops more than a week in advance, so I know they were fully dry first.

I know this doesn't help, but it's a bump, anyway! icon_smile.gif I'd like to know too.

kaansa Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 15

They dried at least a week. I'd turn them everyday so that they dried on each side...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 15

What kind of buttercream you use..It should have been dried.. Did you leave them in an open area to dry? A close container would not help with the drying, neither a towel or anything on top.. Did you have a piece of foam underneath so the air would flow around it? Is it humid? where did you put them to dry?
Edna

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 15

Mine were on my dining room table on waxed paper, never thought of the foam, but that makes sense! It wasn't too humid, as it was October, and the warmest, most humid weather was over, but that could have been a factor. Would straight gumpaste instead of 50/50 be better?

My buttercream is a crusting buttercream similar to Wilton's, but it calls for 3/4c. white cake mix per recipe, and no meringue powder; however, the bow was poked through a layer of MMF which was on just the top of the cake.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 15

I don't want to bash on Wilton, but that's happened to me too and a friend of mine told me to switch brands, I did and this didn't happen again. I make my own gumpaste. Also I noticed that in the winter my gumpaste or fondant decorations take a lil'longer to dry becuase of the heater always on...to the touch they are hard and dry but once anything with moister touches it starts to get soft. I have a fourth room that we have the computer in and I've shut the vent in there so its not warm or hot it's cool and I put my gumpaste/fondant projects in there to dry and I'm always doing roses, all different kinds of flowers and figurines (just because) and let the dry for about 3 weeks and when I need them I use the ones that have been drying longer so that I won't get any surprises with my gumpaste/fondant... I hope this helped.... icon_wink.gif

kaansa Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 15

I used the wilton buttercream recipe. I dried the items on wax paper. They were solid when I placed in the cake. The part outside the cake stayed hard but the part that was pushed into the cake became soggy so it wouldn't support the part sticking out. On the counter to dry. It was warm but not too humid. I took the cake from A/c to A/c.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 15

Unless the grass was attached to a fondant covered cake, then it will likely absorb moisture and oil from the frosting. It just doesn't take much for gumpaste to go soft, especially 50/50. Full gumpaste might last a bit longer, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm sorry this happened to your work.

Michele

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 15

The moisture in the cake is what softened the gp. BTDT icon_sad.gif

kaansa Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #11 of 15

now I am confused about how I SHOULD have attached it. I am just learning as I go.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #12 of 15

Since I am only guessing that you attached the grass closer to the bottom only then next time attach the full blade of grass to the cake. It will still soften, but if it's attached by the whole length, then it will be less likely to droop.

HTH

Michele

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #13 of 15

Yeah, what Michele said---dry gum paste or fondant stuck into nice moist cake and/or buttercream absorbs moisture and wilts.

Generally, to avoid this, you need to wire each piece of gum paste. When I've been too lazy to do this, I've painted a bit of melted chocolate on the back of the dry piece and then attached that with buttercream. It helps, but it's not fool proof.

HTH
Rae

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:24am
post #14 of 15

Duplicate post, no responses to date:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614660-.html

HTH

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:06am
post #15 of 15

Same thing happened to me. Thanks for posting this question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%