How Would You Make This Cookie?

Baking By dance2874 Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm by MystiqueFire

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 12

A friend wants me to make her some cotton candy shaped cookies on sticks. How in the world would you do that?? Maybe just ovals and then frost them somehow to make them cotton candy looking? Any ideas?? She needs them for saturday so I need to figure it out soon.

Thanks!!

11 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 12

I would try to find an ice cream cone cookie cutter and then use white for the "cone" and a pretty cotton candy pink and maybe even some blue and use a thicker consistency for the candy part so that you can get some texture to make it look less "ice cream" and more "cotton candy" make the candy go further down on the cone.

hope that makes sense! or you could just freehand your own design, I think the most important part is creating texture with the "candy" part.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #3 of 12

I don't know how it would work...but ok like cotton candy usually has a very very narrow "cone" sort of thing and then a BIG tuft of candy at the top. So maybe try hand molding the dough....mold a thin "cone" (very narrow) around most of the stick....and then put a flattened textured "glob" of dough at the top....(not too thick). Then maybe dip the entire top into the glaze, and cover it in the Wilton cake sparkles or some otherwise sugary topping. You could decorate the "cone" part with some kind of colored swirls/rope sort of thing.

Hmm confusing?

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #4 of 12

I found this one online. You could make a template from this picture or you could free hand. I often make templates to use for my cookies. I print off a paper copy and use laminating sheets found in the school supplies to cover it. I cut out the shape and voila, cookie template. I use a sharp knife and cut out the shape. The Nascar cookies in my photos were done that way. Hope this helps! I also agree with the prior poster that you will want to add some texture to the cotton candy part. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgreetings-il

I found this one online. You could make a template from this picture or you could free hand. I often make templates to use for my cookies. I print off a paper copy and use laminating sheets found in the school supplies to cover it. I cut out the shape and voila, cookie template. I use a sharp knife and cut out the shape. The Nascar cookies in my photos were done that way. Hope this helps! I also agree with the prior poster that you will want to add some texture to the cotton candy part. icon_biggrin.gif

That's an excellent design! You could also use a traditional "flower" shaped cookie cutter, like the ones Wilton has, and "distort" it slightly to enlongate it....and if you used white cookie sticks for the sticks....well, that would serve as your cotton candy stick...get it? That would make it very easy for you! Good luck!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 12

I don't know if this helps, but you could add some swirls once your cookie is dry to give dimension and the look of how the cotton candy 'swirls' around a bit. If you look at my lamb cookies, I did that idea to show the wool. You could make the swirls bigger. Also, you could do two-toned to give dimension as well. Say, the pink you like and then a bit lighter and add that second color in a 'swirly' look while it is still wet, to mimic curves. I hope this makes sense! Attached is a photo of the lambs. I made them with a template from quilter's template plastic from Joanne's. Nice and sturdy (I used the lighter weight) and it cleans up well for storage.

dance2874 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 12

OMG, you guys are fantastic!! Those are great ideas!!! Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 12

Not sure if this fits into your budget but what if you iced the cone white, and put a thin layer of corn syrup on the cotton candy part and stuck real cotton candy to it.

icon_wink.gif

Jasmine

dance2874 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #9 of 12

OOOH, cool idea! I am still waiting to see when and if she really wants them or not but I know I can get real cotton candy at walmart for $1. Do you think it would melt/disintegrate though?

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #10 of 12

I was thinking that that might make it melt. Would be cool to try!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 12

I didn't do a search, but I know there were several santa beards that had that texture effect you're looking for.

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 12

Hmm, well it might... but I'm thinking maybe if you put a good amount on and dont press it down too hard it will stick.

There $1 here at my grocery store but I wasn't sure if it was like that anywhere else! =)

for $1 it might be worth just trying it, you know? But make sure you send me some cookies if you do that! I love cotton candy!

Jasmine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%