Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2251 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikina_24

MacsMom--I'm really sorry if this has already been answered (or if it's just a dumb question) but I'm going to make the Snicker's cake and have a question about the butter cake. When you replace the oil for the butter, do you melt the butter or just soften it? Thanks in advance! I love all the info on this thread even if I get a little dizzy going through it!! icon_lol.gif

Softened, not melted. icon_wink.gif

Thank you! Thank you! Good, now I feel a little bit better--that's what I was going to do but wanted to double check!!! You're the best!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2252 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

Since Strawberries are in abundance here in OK, I was thinking of doing a strawberry cake with Lemon Buttercreme (like a Stawberry Lemonaide - can you tell I've been to Sonic lately).

I think the cake will be very refreshing, but was wondering about the fresh strawberries.....
is it better to put fresh fruit in the cake or just use it as the filling. And if using as the filling, just slice like you do for a tart and lay across the layer - like a tart, or is there some other way to use the fresh strawberries?

TIA

edited to add:
Or would it be better to make a lemon cake and make a stawberry filling and a stawberry buttercreme? Either way wouldn't bother me, I just would like to take advantage of using the fresh local strawberries icon_biggrin.gif

Well, last summer I made a strawberry lemonade cake (mainly just a strawberry cake with lemon juice and zest). As a filling, I just used cool whip with fresh strawberries cut up and folded in. It was so good and refreshing!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2253 of 6536

You can puree your strawberries & use them for all or 1/2 of the liquid called for in the recipe

kates_kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kates_kakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2254 of 6536

Hi everyone! I have my first paid cake and my client wants a banana filling. I have been searching through this thread and looked on the link with all of the recipes and was not able to find a banana filling recipe. I am not sure if I just missed it or not. Does anyone know of a good banana filling?

Thanks!
Katelyn

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2255 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kates_kakes

Hi everyone! I have my first paid cake and my client wants a banana filling. I have been searching through this thread and looked on the link with all of the recipes and was not able to find a banana filling recipe. I am not sure if I just missed it or not. Does anyone know of a good banana filling?

Thanks!
Katelyn

party.gif Congrats on your 1st paid cake! Jello makes a Sugar Free Banana Creme Pudding that you could make and then fold into your buttercreme, or better yet, use straight (my family would like option 2) I'm sure that since the pudding is made with milk, it would have to be put into the fridge.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2256 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

You can puree your strawberries & use them for all or 1/2 of the liquid called for in the recipe

You are talking abou the liquid that would be used in the cake correct? I just want to make sure icon_smile.gif thanks for your advice

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2257 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I dunno... I HATE that! But here is a link to the google doc we add to in case you haven't seen it yet
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

MacsMom, what if i added the document to my faves before you updated it....how do i get the updated version?.....for future references.

It should automatically update itself. Scroll down the very bottom and you see notes with dates of the time I updated it and what I added....

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2258 of 6536

Yes, the liquid in the cake. Like 1/2 of the WASC calls for 1 1/3 c water---use 1/2 puree & 1/2 water or all puree. You can also use strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream & if it isn't flavorful enough you can always add strawberry flavor. I think I'm going to try 1/2 puree, 1/4 strawberry nectar & 1/4 water. I like fruit bits in my cake (makes it more "real") and I'm hoping the nectar will boost the flavor so I don't have to use flavoring. Nectar can be found in the Mexican foods section of the grocery.

I had a successful banana cake today!!!!! I'll post the recipe when I get home from shopping for a dress for my 2 yr old's pics.

MacsMom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2259 of 6536
Quote:

Yes, the liquid in the cake. Like 1/2 of the WASC calls for 1 1/3 c water---use 1/2 puree & 1/2 water or all puree. You can also use strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream & if it isn't flavorful enough you can always add strawberry flavor. I think I'm going to try 1/2 puree, 1/4 strawberry nectar & 1/4 water. I like fruit bits in my cake (makes it more "real") and I'm hoping the nectar will boost the flavor so I don't have to use flavoring. Nectar can be found in the Mexican foods section of the grocery.

I had a successful banana cake today!!!!! I'll post the recipe when I get home from shopping for a dress for my 2 yr old's pics.

I just use strawberry daquiri drink mix - it's basically pureed strawberries - in the aisle with the alcohol, by the margarita mixers.

MacsMom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2260 of 6536

I just made ALmond Joy cake using White Chocolate Coconut creamer for half the water (1 1/3 cups + 1 1/3 cups water) and I used 1 tsp almond extract and 2 tsp vanilla. It's soooo good! I thought more almond might be too much.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2261 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_m_mena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Regardless of weather you do it by weight (recomended) or volume (my way) it says to use 3-5% - so you are going to be using significantly more than a teaspoon.

Using % by volume works well because it is being added to batters and icing, which are dense (probably about the same density as the compound). When the densities are the same (or similar enough) % by vol and % by weight are the same. So, yes, in our applications the method that sayhellojana uses is the way to go.

I think she explained it a while ago, but to repeat: if your cake batter is about 6 cups (for an 8 x 3 pan), you have 96 tbsp of batter (6 x 16). To use 3-5% of compound, you would need approx 2-3/4 to 4-3/4 tbsp (96*3/100=2.88 to 96*5/100 = 4.icon_cool.gif.

If it is going to be added to a liquid, like a simple syrup, then using volume will not work as well, since the compounds are heavier than the liquid. In that case, you would need less compound that the calculations above.

Hope this helps!!

- Lilliam

yes that helps out quite a bit! thank you so much!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarrieBear Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2262 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

These are the Amoretti Samples I got today, not quite sure what I will do with them all, time to get creative icon_cool.gif

Wild strawberry compound
Raspberry Framboise compound
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Compound with seeds
Crema Di Kahlua compound
Mimosa Compound
Wild strawberry swirl
Pineapple Compound
Passion Fruit Swirl (I have heard multiple times this might not be so good?)
Cappuccino-Tiramisu compound
Chai Tea compound
Basil Oil Extract
Raspberry Extract
Coconut Cream Compound
Orange Zest Oil Extract
European Style Premium Blanched Almond Paste
Blanched almond Flour
Grand Orange Compd.
Limoncello Liqueur Flambé

I got almost the same exact ones...let me know what you come up with!

icon_confused.gif will do... me too if you get any good ideas...

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #2263 of 6536

MacsMom, is the mix in a bottle? And will it be sold even if hard liquor isn't? We can't get hard liquors here in my town

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #2264 of 6536

l_m_mena thanks for typing that up. i just wasn't in the mood to explain it again last night! lol.

No one wants fun cakes around here lately. I keep getting asked for "white" (total pet peeve. white isn't a flavor, it's a color) with stawberry filling. Or if someone is really adventurous maybe chocolate.

I wish I could do fun cakes all the time. I make an awesome pineapple-coconut banana cake. Tropical flavors are awesome for hot weather!

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #2265 of 6536
Quote:

MacsMom, is the mix in a bottle? And will it be sold even if hard liquor isn't? We can't get hard liquors here in my town

It probably wouldn't be sold in your area if you can't find rum. icon_surprised.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #2266 of 6536

Okay, I'm going to make the White Russian and of course there was no mudslide coffee creamer....but i found Chocolate Eclair creamer from International Delight(limited edition & i got the last bottle...YAY ME)...has anybody tried that one?
Also, I found Cajeta de Leche from Goya....is that the same as Cajeta? I forgot what recipe that one was for(i know not for the WR)

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #2267 of 6536

Dang it, I've posted replies recently & I've been kicked of watching the topic.

Well, here's what I did today

Banana Cake (1/2 recipe)

1/2 BC White Mix
1/2 DH Banana Mix
1 C Cake Flour
1 C Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 pkg Banana Pudding
8 oz Plain Yogurt
2/3 C Water
2/3 C Skim Milk
2 T Oil
4 Eggs
1 Med Mashed Banana
1 1/2 tsp Banana Flavoring
1/2 tsp Vanilla

It turned out w/ an excellent crumb & moist. My problem in the past w/ "fruit" cakes is they are either way too dense or heavy & borderline crumbly in texture---not good for carving, but ok for stacking. The 4" domed in the middle, but the ones w/ the bake even strips rose level. I might go ahead w/ 2 tsp banana flavor next time. I was just afraid of it being overpowering. I must say I came close to dancing a jig when I had a cake turn out like I wanted & not have to rebake, have an extra thick filling to make it tall enough, or extra icing in the center to cover up the sinking factor. OOOOhhhhhhh, so excited, especially since I used 1/2 DH mix & had problems w/ that before!!!! (sorry I'm like a kid let loose in the candy store) *Please let me know if it looks like I left any ingredients out.

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2268 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Okay, I'm going to make the White Russian and of course there was no mudslide coffee creamer....but i found Chocolate Eclair creamer from International Delight(limited edition & i got the last bottle...YAY ME)...has anybody tried that one?
Also, I found Cajeta de Leche from Goya....is that the same as Cajeta? I forgot what recipe that one was for(i know not for the WR)

The Tiramisu (it tastes like Kahlua) coffee creamer can be substituted for the Mudslide, or you can use mudslide drink mix (by the margarita mix). Chocolate eclair tastes like super sweet chocolate.

Cajeta would be used in any caramel-type cake: Dulce de Leche, Caramel apple, Banana caramel, etc.

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2269 of 6536
Quote:

Dang it, I've posted replies recently & I've been kicked of watching the topic.

Well, here's what I did today

Banana Cake (1/2 recipe)

1/2 BC White Mix
1/2 DH Banana Mix
1 C Cake Flour
1 C Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 pkg Banana Pudding
8 oz Plain Yogurt
2/3 C Water
2/3 C Skim Milk
2 T Oil
4 Eggs
1 Med Mashed Banana
1 1/2 tsp Banana Flavoring
1/2 tsp Vanilla

It turned out w/ an excellent crumb & moist. My problem in the past w/ "fruit" cakes is they are either way too dense or heavy & borderline crumbly in texture---not good for carving, but ok for stacking. The 4" domed in the middle, but the ones w/ the bake even strips rose level. I might go ahead w/ 2 tsp banana flavor next time. I was just afraid of it being overpowering. I must say I came close to dancing a jig when I had a cake turn out like I wanted & not have to rebake, have an extra thick filling to make it tall enough, or extra icing in the center to cover up the sinking factor. OOOOhhhhhhh, so excited, especially since I used 1/2 DH mix & had problems w/ that before!!!! (sorry I'm like a kid let loose in the candy store) *Please let me know if it looks like I left any ingredients out.

That's great! It's almost exactly like mine and I LOVE mine icon_smile.gif It's so moist and not dense nor crumbly. (My added tsp of baking soda probably acts like your extra egg).

Banana *MacsMom
1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6oz) containers banana yogurt
1-1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1-1/3 c water
1 T vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter, softened

Stacie

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2270 of 6536

Hmmmm, I may try butter next time instead of oil. Maybe it'll give it even more of a flavor boost icon_smile.gif

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2271 of 6536

Macsmom,

The strawberry daquiri drink mix you use is like a puree? The one I purchased does not look pureed at all icon_confused.gif Did I get the wrong one?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2272 of 6536

i've been trying to keep up with this supremely awesome thread since the beginning and i seem to remember a pina colada wasc recipe but don't see it on the google doc. does anyone remember how it went so i don't have to go back through all 153 pages? pretty please with coconut cream and a pineapple tidbit on top : )

CarrieBear Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2273 of 6536
Quote:

l_m_mena thanks for typing that up. i just wasn't in the mood to explain it again last night! lol.

No one wants fun cakes around here lately. I keep getting asked for "white" (total pet peeve. white isn't a flavor, it's a color) with stawberry filling. Or if someone is really adventurous maybe chocolate.

I wish I could do fun cakes all the time. I make an awesome pineapple-coconut banana cake. Tropical flavors are awesome for hot weather!

wow! pineapple-coconut banana that would be fitting for the cake I have to make, Did you do a WASC on that???
I am doing a Hawaiian themed wedding cake for a friend in a month and she doesnt know what flavors she wants, I am trying to push something exciting instead of chocolate or vanilla icon_rolleyes.gif

cas17 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2274 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

wow! pineapple-coconut banana that would be fitting for the cake I have to make, Did you do a WASC on that???
I am doing a Hawaiian themed wedding cake for a friend in a month and she doesnt know what flavors she wants, I am trying to push something exciting instead of chocolate or vanilla icon_rolleyes.gif

is that the Tropical Breeze on the google doc? i was looking for the pina colada as i have a request for it this weekend.

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2275 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva1976

Macsmom,

The strawberry daquiri drink mix you use is like a puree? The one I purchased does not look pureed at all icon_confused.gif Did I get the wrong one?

As long as it tastes like strawberries, you can use it! The one I buy is Finest Call brand. It's not a thick puree, but it tastes like fresh strawberries.

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2276 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

Quote:

Quote:

is that the Tropical Breeze on the google doc? i was looking for the pina colada as i have a request for it this weekend.

Pina Colada
2 pkgs white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1-1/2 t salt
1 small pkg coconut pudding mix
8 egg whites
2 c sour cream
1/4 c oil
2 c coconut creamer (Coffee Mate) or Pina Colada drink mix
2/3 c Malibu rum or pineapple juice
1 T LoRann Pina Colada flavoring
**or 2 tsp pineapple extract plus 2 tsp coconut extract

cas17 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2277 of 6536

bless your heart & thank you macsmom : ) can't wait to bake/taste it. the only pina colada cake i've made is the cake mix doctor's which was pretty good but i would rather use the wasc.

i do have a question tho, will it affect the cake to use 6 whole eggs instead of the 8 whites other than color? thanks so much!!

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2278 of 6536

Thanks macsmom!! One more question, where can I get the brand you use? The one I have taste artificial...

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2279 of 6536

Oh man, those banana cakes sound divine!! icon_biggrin.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2280 of 6536

What about adding a pkg of koolaid?
Maybe it would be too sour ?
They have some great flavor, scents...?
I got the idea from the homemade playdough i mixed up today. It smelt so good (Cherry) , and just wondered if it would be possible to use in a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%