Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #2191 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

I can't stand the canned frosting! I use baking cocoa and whatever flavor of chocolate ice cream topping sounds good. The last one I used was the Hershey's special dark, and it was the best yet!

Do you just melt the chocolate and use the ice cream topping as the liquid in your regular BC??

I mostly just eyeball it - if it's liquidy I'll use less cream, but w/ the Hershey's special dark, I just mixed the bc as usual, then added the cocoa and scooped the ice cream topping out of the jar - it was a bit thicker than marshmallow cream (just for a comparison).

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #2192 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Hello ladies!
Just checking in, letting you guys know I haven't fallen behind. I've got some vanilla cupcakes in the oven, strawberries defrosting for the filling and butter softening for the frosting. I will post pictures to my blog in the next day or two. I know vanilla and strawberry don't sound too impressive, but it is if you call it Tri-Vanilla Strawberry Cupcakes!
Happy baking

Make sure you post them on the Cupcake Thread, Jana! thumbs_up.gif Are you making a WASC version then?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2193 of 6536

For those of you who have used a cream cheese/bettercreme filling (I made one yesterday w/ powered sugar, bettercreme, 2 blocks of cream cheese and a sleeve of raspberry filling), do you keep it refrigerated the entire time? I know it needs to be.. but I rather it in the fridge the least amount possible as I don't want the fondant to be sweating when they come and pick it up... and after they pick it up it will still be a good 4 hours till they eat it.

I'm a little on the lenient side w/ food safety for my own health...lol.. I'm all about eating cake batter regardless of raw eggs, etc..... but I don't want to be for others!

Thanks for the input!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2194 of 6536

The only item listed that would be perishable would be the cream cheese and we all have left that out over night to bring to room temperature so I would say it could be left out for several hours.
Now legally, I don't know! I know our Farmer's Market won't let the ladies sell their cream cheese kolaches any more because of no refrigeration.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2195 of 6536

Thanks alot for this information, I can't wait to try them

Again thanks a bunch

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2196 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

For those of you who have used a cream cheese/bettercreme filling (I made one yesterday w/ powered sugar, bettercreme, 2 blocks of cream cheese and a sleeve of raspberry filling), do you keep it refrigerated the entire time? I know it needs to be.. but I rather it in the fridge the least amount possible as I don't want the fondant to be sweating when they come and pick it up... and after they pick it up it will still be a good 4 hours till they eat it.

It will be fine. I made a similar filling and the cake drove me 2 hrs to my grandma's house, sat on the counter overnight because of no fridge space, and eaten the next day at noon. It tasted fine and no one at my cousins wedding shower developed stomach cramps icon_razz.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2197 of 6536

Thank you GrandmaG and Stacie! I figured it would be fine but reasuring words always help! =)

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #2198 of 6536

Nope, GrandmaG, these are from scratch icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:06am
post #2199 of 6536

Posted this to another forum by mistake ... I was answering somebody else's post and stayed there instead of coming here icon_redface.gif . Anyhow! Here it goes again!

So I spent all last week experimenting with peanut butter options for a cake I was making, and came up with a faux fondant recipe. Not great and pliable like a true fondant, more like an alternative to marzipan, but it can be tweaked depending on your needs to model small figurines, as a DELICIOUS filling, or to cover a cake if you're patient enough. Or to just sit there and devour gobs of the stuff before ever getting to the point of using it to decorate icon_smile.gif.. So! Not sure it's a big enough deal to put in the recipes section, but I just thought I'd share Smile ...

Peanut-Butter Faux Fondant
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter, warmed for 10-15 seconds in the microwave (enough to make it runnier, not enough to cook and dry out the edges)
2 cups powdered milk (pulverize in a food processor for a couple of hits if you have a grainier-textured milk, then sift)
1-2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Combine first two ingredients well in a mixer. Slowly add powdered milk, mixing until ingredients are well incorporated, but still a big sticky mess. Stop the mixer, sprinkle powdered sugar onto work surface, and knead mixture, adding more powdered sugar as needed for consistency required. As you knead, grainy texture should soften and finish will become shinier.

Mmmm .... wishing I didn't have to fit into that dress in a few weeks ...

-Emi.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #2200 of 6536

Anyone ever try the Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix? Just curious...

MacsMom Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #2201 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

Anyone ever try the Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix? Just curious...

Yes... ick. It's not nearly as good as the rainbow chip. YOu can add your own add mini-cherry-chips for a better cherry-chip cake icon_wink.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #2202 of 6536

Thanks!! It was a little pricey at $3 and I had not seen it before, so I thought I would ask before taking the plunge. I know you had mentioned you added the cherry chips, thought this might be a shortcut. Thanks again for your expertise!! icon_smile.gif

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2203 of 6536

Hi every body, I realy need your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need cupcake frosting(vanilla) can saty over night outside and I can pipe flower with it no need to crust (it will dry)
I want to make vanilla WASC cupcake for 8 cupcake bouquets . they are our gift for my friend's DD Communion. they have to be good
please please
Thank you very much
Franaz

farmom3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2204 of 6536

oh please any body???
I know maybe it's not good plase for this, but you guys so helpful
thansk

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2205 of 6536

Just regular vanilla buttercream is what I would use...

farmom3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2206 of 6536

last night for practis I made one with 1\\2 butter and 1\\2 crisco but this morning all flower I piped on the cupcake fall apart and they are very dry

I made cupcake bouquets before but used SMBC but this one has to stay outside icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I really don't know what to do icon_cry.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2207 of 6536

Try the whimsical bakehouse frosting. it is really light and can stay out no problem.
hope this is not too late

kylietatesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylietatesmom Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2208 of 6536

Last weekend I made the chocolate WASC and added some dark chocolate flavoring. Baked it into the egg pan and filled with peanut butter mouse and iced with chocolate buttercream--SO GOOD!!!!
I also made pink lemonade cupcakes and topped with lemon buttercreme; really lemony but very good.

Now for next weekend, I want to make Macmom's rainbowlicious cake but I need to make the cake into a soccer ball. I have the ball pan and thought of just layering all of the batters together but then I would not be able to tort. Any ideas????

farmom3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2209 of 6536

THANK YOU Chiara
can I pipe flower with that ???
thanks again
farnaz

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2210 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Posted this to another forum by mistake ... I was answering somebody else's post and stayed there instead of coming here icon_redface.gif . Anyhow! Here it goes again!

Peanut-Butter Faux Fondant
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter, warmed for 10-15 seconds in the microwave (enough to make it runnier, not enough to cook and dry out the edges)
2 cups powdered milk (pulverize in a food processor for a couple of hits if you have a grainier-textured milk, then sift)
1-2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Combine first two ingredients well in a mixer. Slowly add powdered milk, mixing until ingredients are well incorporated, but still a big sticky mess. Stop the mixer, sprinkle powdered sugar onto work surface, and knead mixture, adding more powdered sugar as needed for consistency required. As you knead, grainy texture should soften and finish will become shinier.

Mmmm .... wishing I didn't have to fit into that dress in a few weeks ...

-Emi.

My MIL use to make this all the time when her kids were small. We call it edible playdough, so pb fondant makes sense!

As for WBH buttercream, you should be able to pipe flowers. It's like SMBC in its properties and will stay soft. SMBC will be ok for a couple days at room temp too

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2211 of 6536

I actually used it as filling the other day as well, with less powdered sugar, since I wanted a very stiff filling with something of a nougat-y consistency. Playdough ... that sounds exactly right icon_smile.gif.

farmom3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2212 of 6536

hoohooo I made WBH buttercream right now, thank you,dandelion56602, and Chiara thank you very much it is so good thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
farnaz

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #2213 of 6536

I just found this thread and I had to say WOW!!!!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:47am
post #2214 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

I just found this thread and I had to say WOW!!!!

Welcome to the fun. Let the obsessing begin

So much to learn icon_smile.gif

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2215 of 6536

Has anyone used the Keoke coffee or Pomegranite Lorann flavoring?

I thought I would be daring and throw a couple unusual ones in there with a few that a I bought.. but I am really not sure what I am going to do with them..

CarrieBear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2216 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylietatesmom

Last weekend I made the chocolate WASC and added some dark chocolate flavoring. Baked it into the egg pan and filled with peanut butter mouse and iced with chocolate buttercream--SO GOOD!!!!
I also made pink lemonade cupcakes and topped with lemon buttercreme; really lemony but very good.

Now for next weekend, I want to make Macmom's rainbowlicious cake but I need to make the cake into a soccer ball. I have the ball pan and thought of just layering all of the batters together but then I would not be able to tort. Any ideas????

You could be daring and still do that and layer them all and then when its cooled off you could cut the layers where the colors end and fill them and re-stack them... ok I have no idea if that would work, it sounds like something goof icon_redface.gif y I would try and would possibly end up making a mess.. but thats all I can really think of..

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2217 of 6536

LorAnn has pomegranate flavoring??? Wow!! I didn't know that!! (Putting on shopping list as we speak...) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #2218 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

LorAnn has pomegranate flavoring??? Wow!! I didn't know that!! (Putting on shopping list as we speak...) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

YEAH they do icon_biggrin.gif

now what to do with it?? icon_confused.gif

I almost want to do like a pomegranate lemonade cake.. sound weird?
not quite sure yet...

MacsMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #2219 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

Has anyone used the Keoke coffee or Pomegranite Lorann flavoring?

I thought I would be daring and throw a couple unusual ones in there with a few that a I bought.. but I am really not sure what I am going to do with them..

I love the Keoke coffeee! It's great in a Kahlua cake with Tiramisu coffee creamer (Kahlua flavor) for an alcohol-free cake that tastes like Kahlua.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2220 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylietatesmom

I think that layering the colors in the ball pan would be better than making each seperate layer due to the structure being compromised. If you have multiple layers, it may "slide" or be problematic.

I say just layer the batter on one half of the ball with half the colors then half with the other.. It makes a beautiful presentation with the colors...

Let us know how it goes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%