Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2161 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

If you can get Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa use it. You can make it into "melted chocolate" by mixing it w/ shortening or oil. I think it's 3 T cocoa mixed w/ 1 T oil or melted shortening (on the back of the can to make sure). Dark Cocoa is a lot richer & darker & gives that taste. I'm sorry but I can't stand canned frosting, especially white & chocolate. Mixed in regular buttercream is better, but on it's own, nasty

I use the Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa (LOVE it!) in the Hershey's syrup chocolate icing recipe and it's pure chocolate heaven, this is my normal chocolate icing that I use, but unfortunitly it's not a Milk Chocolate flavor. I've already offered it icon_sad.gif No go, shot down. He was VERY specific on getting a milk chocolate icing and NOT a dark chocolate flavor.... personally, I do not discriminate against any shade/flavor of chocolate - it's all good to me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2162 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

Thank you! Would the egg whites be the same number as egg yolks? I can't remember if it has to be increased due to the loss of weight of the egg yolks.

Yeah... I would use 6 egg whites.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2163 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

Thank you! Would the egg whites be the same number as egg yolks? I can't remember if it has to be increased due to the loss of weight of the egg yolks.

Alright, diving into novice baking science for a second... Egg yolks moisten, egg whites dry out... if a cake replaces egg whites for egg yolks, is that, in fact, why sour cream is added to the recipes?

I read whatever I can on baking science (which is partly why I like the scratch baking more), and I was just reading last week about creating your own cake recipe using ratios. It talks about egg whites as drying things out, and later mentions getting the ratio of liquid + eggs to be higher than that of the sugar (and sugar is always equal to or slightly more than flour). SO, I am wondering... in a recipe in which whole eggs are used, when you convert to egg whites, I would guess that adding sour cream/buttermilk/yogurt, etc would serve to re-moisten.

With WASC, eggs and oil and water are part of the cake mix instructions, of course, but sour cream is not part of the original. How did the recipe creator know how much sour cream to add? Trial and error?

I found a really good looking white cake recipe in which I could easily replace the milk with something else like juice, champagne, coffee creamers, etc, but I want to also add sour cream or yogurt or ice cream. If my recipe has 4 egg whites, can I assume one cup would work (since the WASC 2 box recipe has 8 egg whites, 2 cups sour cream)? And, would I have to then increase the flour and sugar as the WASC recipe does? AND, can pudding mix be added to ANY cake recipe as is or does it need extra liquid??? Ugh, my brain is going crazy, lol.

Thank you to anyone who bothered to read all this and can make any sense of what I'm asking. icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2164 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

Macsmom-in your blueberry sourcream(wasc) and are you using the purchased cheesecake filling and blueberry filling. Are you using your truffle filling and layering the can blueberry filling. What is your opinion about this cake at a function like this.

Have you ever tried a chocolate wrap? I think this cake is so cool! You can order the musical notes transfers.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1321549

I missed this somehow. I make the marscapone filling or white chocolate truffle with Bettercreme folded in for cheesecake filling - and yes, I buy the blueberry filling sleeves.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2165 of 6536

I can't believe my luck...i was trying to make chocolate icing, only had enough cocoa for one batch, begged my husband to meet me at the grocerystore after work so he could watch my kids ( i do home daycare) while i ran in to get some cocoa.
I should have checked here first...canned icing to replace cocoa, brilliant! Just made it and it is great! I needed a double batch of chocolate b/c so I had one cup of cocoa ,( needed 2 ) and just added a can of milk chocolate icing.
Thank you!!! Now i can skip the store and read more on CC!!!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2166 of 6536

MacsMom, I was wondering how do you make your Piña Colada cake? I didn't see the recipe for it in the docs.google.com. Thanks for your help.

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2167 of 6536

Here is a chai tea filling that sounds really good. It uses whipping cream, but I'm sure you could use bettercreme as well if you have access to it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7112-Chai-tea-filling.html

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #2168 of 6536

Well, i'm really glad i checked out this post..but man 146pgs worth of suggestions. I'm at number 41 and i have pages worth of written notes. Thanks to everyone for so many of the great suggestions.
I know this may be a crazy request bu..t...does anyone have an updated list of recipes and fillings that have been discussed in this post they would be willing to share with me? I don't know if i will ever find enough time to go through all these pages or enough ink. ;0) I wish there was a summary somewhere, so that those of us who are late to join the discussion could catch up on things. ;0) There are too many great recipes.
suz

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #2169 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Well, i'm really glad i checked out this post..but man 146pgs worth of suggestions. I'm at number 41 and i have pages worth of written notes. Thanks to everyone for so many of the great suggestions.
I know this may be a crazy request bu..t...does anyone have an updated list of recipes and fillings that have been discussed in this post they would be willing to share with me? I don't know if i will ever find enough time to go through all these pages or enough ink. ;0) I wish there was a summary somewhere, so that those of us who are late to join the discussion could catch up on things. ;0) There are too many great recipes.
suz

Suz, if you click on the link in my signature I have all the recipe links in one place. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:26am
post #2170 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Alright, diving into novice baking science for a second... Egg yolks moisten, egg whites dry out... if a cake replaces egg whites for egg yolks, is that, in fact, why sour cream is added to the recipes?

I read whatever I can on baking science (which is partly why I like the scratch baking more), and I was just reading last week about creating your own cake recipe using ratios. It talks about egg whites as drying things out, and later mentions getting the ratio of liquid + eggs to be higher than that of the sugar (and sugar is always equal to or slightly more than flour). SO, I am wondering... in a recipe in which whole eggs are used, when you convert to egg whites, I would guess that adding sour cream/buttermilk/yogurt, etc would serve to re-moisten.

With WASC, eggs and oil and water are part of the cake mix instructions, of course, but sour cream is not part of the original. How did the recipe creator know how much sour cream to add? Trial and error?

I found a really good looking white cake recipe in which I could easily replace the milk with something else like juice, champagne, coffee creamers, etc, but I want to also add sour cream or yogurt or ice cream. If my recipe has 4 egg whites, can I assume one cup would work (since the WASC 2 box recipe has 8 egg whites, 2 cups sour cream)? And, would I have to then increase the flour and sugar as the WASC recipe does? AND, can pudding mix be added to ANY cake recipe as is or does it need extra liquid??? Ugh, my brain is going crazy, lol.

Thank you to anyone who bothered to read all this and can make any sense of what I'm asking. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake Mix Doctor books add sour cream and pudding while keeping the number of eggs the same. WASC adds flour, sugar, and liquid.

So my guess is Rebecca Sutterby did a lot of trials--and I'm fairly certain that egg whites won't dry out a cake when replacing the yolks--the eggs are there for the rise, not necessarily the moistness.

I would assume simply adding 1 cup of sour cream would be fine, not from a scientific background, just from the Cake Mix Doctor recipe experiences icon_rolleyes.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #2171 of 6536

I didn't know that either about the egg whites but this article also states that it dries out the cake. I have been trying to research the science of cake baking for the past year and it is difficult to find much info on it. It can be very confusing.

http://knol.google.com/k/online-editors/how-do-i-make-a-cake-moist/27ifsyywko3wx/17#

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2172 of 6536

GrandmaG-your cake is sooo beautiful, I would love to make this cake with ur help I will PM u.(Thank you)

Macsmom-Thanks for the info I will try to locate a store locally that sells it I do not think I will have enough time to get it shipped.

You guys are the greatest

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2173 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Quote:

Quote:

The color isn't the concern, they just want a milk chocolate flavor. I did some searching and found a recipe that does just what you suggested, use milk chocolate chips. They didn't want a chocolate buttercream taste but more like the milk chocolate flavor icing in a can..... Ahhhh, cake civilians!!! icon_smile.gif

icon_redface.gif I mix canned chocolate frosting into BC because it's easier than melting chocolate, lol. I can't seem to use enough cocoa powder to give it a deep chocolate taste.

Perhaps do both - add melted milk chocolate chips and canned milk chocolate frosting icon_razz.gif

Oh - you know - I thought about just using the canned frosting!! LOL but I wanted to try and make it myself but this is a good idea!! icon_lol.gif Maybe I will just do both!! Thanks for the tip! I agree that chocolate buttercream does not have a deep flavor or a similar flavor as the canned frosting. But I think you've figured it out with the mix of the two!! Thanks icon_lol.gif

I use coco powder to get a really chocolaty taste for my buttercream. The Hersheys dark coco powder is the only one I can get that choclaty effect with. All others pale in comparison. I also melt a bit of dark chocolate and mix it in, but you don't have to.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2174 of 6536

Bob,

Thanks sooooooo much! ;0). You've saved me hours of reading. I'm gonna check it out. I can't wait to try them.

Suz

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2175 of 6536

Alexandrabill....just trying to make sure I dont misunderstand but when we were talking about the mocha filling, you said to replace the bettercreme with whipping cream but doesnt than require refrigeration? I still need to have a non refrigerated filling so I dont want to mess this up, thanks so much!!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2176 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Alexandrabill....just trying to make sure I dont misunderstand but when we were talking about the mocha filling, you said to replace the bettercreme with whipping cream but doesnt than require refrigeration? I still need to have a non refrigerated filling so I dont want to mess this up, thanks so much!!

I'm not sure. Ganache sits out and it is made w/ melted chocolate and heated whipping cream.. and the first step in the mocha recipe is technically a ganache. You could probably use a non-dairy creamer such as french vanilla (or some mocha flavor.. yum!), and it would probably be fine (but i'm not 100% certain).

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2177 of 6536

Macsmom - do you the following recipe will be a good as a bundt cake.

I probably have to cut recipe in half. I know it is really good.

any input would be great.

thanks

Vanilla WASC - Karema (*= macsmom's variation)
2 white cake mixes
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 2/3 cups of milk *(or 1 1/3 c liquid vanilla creamer + 1 1/3 c water)
2 cups of sour cream *(or vanilla yogurt)
6 whole eggs
1 pk vanilla pudding
2 tsp vanilla paste *(or 1 tbls vanilla extract)

MacsMom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2178 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Macsmom - do you the following recipe will be a good as a bundt cake.

Vanilla WASC - Karema (*= macsmom's variation)
2 white cake mixes
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 2/3 cups of milk *(or 1 1/3 c liquid vanilla creamer + 1 1/3 c water)
2 cups of sour cream *(or vanilla yogurt)
6 whole eggs
1 pk vanilla pudding
2 tsp vanilla paste *(or 1 tbls vanilla extract)

It's a perfect bundt cake! But I would use the vanilla creamer instead of milk because it is heavier. Try using one of the bake-able fillings with it! There is a caramel one and you can always use white chocolate chips for the chocolate version.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2179 of 6536

Thanks,

You know I made this with out the pudding and used milk, it was awesome.

so instead of milk I will use the creamer. Regular should be fine, that is all I have

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2180 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I didn't know that either about the egg whites but this article also states that it dries out the cake. I have been trying to research the science of cake baking for the past year and it is difficult to find much info on it. It can be very confusing.

http://knol.google.com/k/online-editors/how-do-i-make-a-cake-moist/27ifsyywko3wx/17#

Have you read Alton Brown's baking book or Baking Secrets by Sherry Yard? Both go very in depth into the science rather than the art of baking. Sherry goes into much more complicated/facny desserts than Alton does, but both are wonderful.

I didn't mean to say that egg whites will make a dry cake, but that in an egg, the yolks are the fat and add moisture while the whites help create structure but are dryer. So if you pull egg yolks out, I think there is usually some moisture replacement somewhere....unless the goal is for more of a dry sponge cake which will be soaked in a simple syrup or flavoring. But it's all a little confusing still, so I could be wrong. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #2181 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Bob,

Thanks sooooooo much! ;0). You've saved me hours of reading. I'm gonna check it out. I can't wait to try them.

Suz

Honestly, this computer is doing WEIRD things today! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, you are very welcome!! icon_biggrin.gif If you ever cannot find the recipe links sticky, just go to "Forums" then scroll down to "recipe tips and ideas" and Heath made it a sticky there so it's the first thread there always. icon_lol.gif But I also put it in my signature just in case... icon_rolleyes.gif

ckckhome Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2182 of 6536

Thanks GrandmaG for all your assistance great advice. I would like to make a correction the beautiful Mozart Recital Cake is the work of JodieF.

GrandmaG you were very helpful. Do you have a good swiss meringue buttercream recipe. Thanks for sharing

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2183 of 6536

I wanted to make an espresso cake out of the chocolate WASC recipe and was wondering how much coffee or espresso powder to add. I know it takes a lot of coffee flavoring to come through the chocolate and would love some advice on what to use. TIA!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #2184 of 6536

I make the Well Dressed Swiss Meringue Recipe here on CC.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood that the picture was mine. I never stated that it was. I was just wanting to be helpful and make a suggestion.

ckckhome Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #2185 of 6536

GrandmaG it was an excellent suggestion. The misunderrstanding is totally my fault, I should have been more observant You have been really helpful. Thanks for the info on SMBC recipe.

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #2186 of 6536

I made the tiramisu mascarpone filling with the bettercreme that Macsmom gave. YUMMY!! so so so so so good. Question... if cake is filled with this, does it have to be refrigerated?

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #2187 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

The color isn't the concern, they just want a milk chocolate flavor. I did some searching and found a recipe that does just what you suggested, use milk chocolate chips. They didn't want a chocolate buttercream taste but more like the milk chocolate flavor icing in a can..... Ahhhh, cake civilians!!! icon_smile.gif

icon_redface.gif I mix canned chocolate frosting into BC because it's easier than melting chocolate, lol. I can't seem to use enough cocoa powder to give it a deep chocolate taste.

Perhaps do both - add melted milk chocolate chips and canned milk chocolate frosting icon_razz.gif

I can't stand the canned frosting! I use baking cocoa and whatever flavor of chocolate ice cream topping sounds good. The last one I used was the Hershey's special dark, and it was the best yet!

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:29am
post #2188 of 6536

I can't stand the canned frosting! I use baking cocoa and whatever flavor of chocolate ice cream topping sounds good. The last one I used was the Hershey's special dark, and it was the best yet!

Do you just melt the chocolate and use the ice cream topping as the liquid in your regular BC??

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #2189 of 6536

Hello ladies!
Just checking in, letting you guys know I haven't fallen behind. I've got some vanilla cupcakes in the oven, strawberries defrosting for the filling and butter softening for the frosting. I will post pictures to my blog in the next day or two. I know vanilla and strawberry don't sound too impressive, but it is if you call it Tri-Vanilla Strawberry Cupcakes!
Happy baking

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:05am
post #2190 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny2222

I made the tiramisu mascarpone filling with the bettercreme that Macsmom gave. YUMMY!! so so so so so good. Question... if cake is filled with this, does it have to be refrigerated?

It probably should be, but I don't icon_razz.gif . I've had it twice now after it's been out 8 hrs or so and it's been fine. The bettercreme and sugar help keep the marscapone a bit more stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%