Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4411 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Oooh, I may do strawberry lemonade! The bigger tier is going to be the rainbow & I think the SL would be pretty too.

Macsmom, do you flavor your rainbow cake or do you just make a white cake? For kids would you use a yummy filling or spare the expense & just use buttercream for theh filling?

I use Princess Emulsion in the rainbow cake - everyone loves it. I just use buttercream for the kids. If I'm in the mood, I'll color it.

tm-treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tm-treats Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #4412 of 6536

Hello!

I wanted to finish reading all the pages in this forum before writing this. I reached page 50 and gave up. It'll take me ages to finish all 200++ pages!

I'm planning to make my own homemade cake mix instead of the box mix. I bake and market my cakes from scratch. I found a homemade cake mix (http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/cakemix.htm) that substitutes cake box mix. So these are my questions:

1. How many cups does a 1 cake mix (powder form) yeild?
2. Does a box mix have sugar in it? (This might be a silly question. I found 2 homemade cake mixes and one has sugar and the other doesn't.)
3. What do you normally add to when making a basic cake according to the box instructions?

I'm sorry if my questions seems weird. American box mixes are not readily available here in UK. I will have to order from specialty online stores. Don't really want to spend extra just to get my answers. icon_smile.gif

I hope somebody can help me because I can't wait to try the recipes mentioned in this forum!

Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4413 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm-treats

Hello!

I wanted to finish reading all the pages in this forum before writing this. I reached page 50 and gave up. It'll take me ages to finish all 200++ pages!

I'm planning to make my own homemade cake mix instead of the box mix. I bake and market my cakes from scratch. I found a homemade cake mix (http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/cakemix.htm) that substitutes cake box mix. So these are my questions:

1. How many cups does a 1 cake mix (powder form) yeild?
2. Does a box mix have sugar in it? (This might be a silly question. I found 2 homemade cake mixes and one has sugar and the other doesn't.)
3. What do you normally add to when making a basic cake according to the box instructions?

I'm sorry if my questions seems weird. American box mixes are not readily available here in UK. I will have to order from specialty online stores. Don't really want to spend extra just to get my answers. icon_smile.gif

I hope somebody can help me because I can't wait to try the recipes mentioned in this forum!

Thanks!

I really don't quite understand the questions - Do you mean homemade cake recipes rather than mixes?

In my sig line there is a link to a google doc with all of the recipes mentioned here in it, including two scratch recipes that can be modified the same way we modify the WASC recipe - by substituting types of liquids and flavorings.

With BC cake, a white cake mix has 4 cups of the cake mix powder, a chocolate cake has 3 1/2 cups powder. (I make 1/4 recipes when I do sample cakes which yields one 7" round; I use 2 cups white cake mix, 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 2 egg whites, etc. But when I use chocolate mix I use 1-3/4 c cake mix powder).

tm-treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tm-treats Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4414 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I really don't quite understand the questions - Do you mean homemade cake recipes rather than mixes?

In my sig line there is a link to a google doc with all of the recipes mentioned here in it, including two scratch recipes that can be modified the same way we modify the WASC recipe - by substituting types of liquids and flavorings.

With BC cake, a white cake mix has 4 cups of the cake mix powder, a chocolate cake has 3 1/2 cups powder. (I make 1/4 recipes when I do sample cakes which yields one 7" round; I use 2 cups white cake mix, 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 2 egg whites, etc. But when I use chocolate mix I use 1-3/4 c cake mix powder).

--

Hi MacsMom,

I knew I was going to make a mess trying to explain what I needed to know. Sorry. You have managed to answer one - how many cups can you get from a standard white cake mix pack (powder form). I needed to know the cups convertion because your recipes usually refers to using a box/ boxes of cake mixes.

I was able to find 2 types of homemade cake mixes that are different from your google doc. This is a dry mix and it basically replicates a purchased cake mix. So if your recipe calls for 1 box cake mix (as you mentioned 1 box of white cake mix = 4 cups of cake mix powder), I can substitute this with 4 cups of my homemade cake mix.

Forget about my 2nd & 3rd questions. I think I figured the answers to the these questions.

Thanks the info! icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4415 of 6536
Quote:

It's a mock-cheesecake filling, actually:

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

Hello,

Could you please help me? How long can I leave this filling out? and how long in the refrigerator?

Thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4416 of 6536

hey guys.... need your help and expertise please!!!

I have a request for a chocolate italian cream cake. Now, I found one on this site but it is from scratch and I don't always do so well going that route. Soooo.. I am trying to figure out how to alter the "Amazing Italian cream cake" that is on this site. It is really good.. get lots of compliments on it.

How do you think I could alter this recipe to make it chocolate. Maybe intstead of the coconut supreme cake, I would use chocolate and then replace the vanilla extract with coconut extract??

1 box Duncan Hines Coconut Supreme cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup water
3 eggs
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, cookie pieces size, toasted in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until they smell nutty (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted in 350 degree over for 7 minutes or until golden brown (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4417 of 6536

You could use 1/2 Coconut mix & 1/2 Chocolate Mix (I weigh mine when I do this). you could also sub out 1/2 c of the flour for cocoa

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4418 of 6536

That's what I would do too or maybe use a coconut mix and chocolate pudding mix, chocolate milk for the liquid and half flour half cocoa. That would put a lot of chocolate in it and still have the coconut flavor. I would use the coconut extract too.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #4419 of 6536

yum.. thanks guys.. I really appreciate your time!!

MacsMom Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #4420 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

hey guys.... need your help and expertise please!!!

I have a request for a chocolate italian cream cake. Now, I found one on this site but it is from scratch and I don't always do so well going that route. Soooo.. I am trying to figure out how to alter the "Amazing Italian cream cake" that is on this site. It is really good.. get lots of compliments on it.

How do you think I could alter this recipe to make it chocolate. Maybe intstead of the coconut supreme cake, I would use chocolate and then replace the vanilla extract with coconut extract??

1 box Duncan Hines Coconut Supreme cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup water
3 eggs
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, cookie pieces size, toasted in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until they smell nutty (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted in 350 degree over for 7 minutes or until golden brown (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)

I use chocolate cake mix, coconut creamer, and coconut extract.

MacsMom Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4421 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

Quote:

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

Hello,

Could you please help me? How long can I leave this filling out? and how long in the refrigerator?Thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

2 weeks in fridge, 1 day out. If you add two 12oz pkgs of melted white chocolate, it can be left out for 3 days.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4422 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Could you please help me? How long can I leave this filling out? and how long in the refrigerator?Thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

2 weeks in fridge, 1 day out. If you add two 12oz pkgs of melted white chocolate, it can be left out for 3 days.

Thank you, thank you!!!

If I make bettercream with the cheesecake pudding mix that will taste good and can it stay out?..sorry for the questions!! I am planning to make my husband's birthday cake so I wanted to make in advance...thank you for you help

MacsMom Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4423 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you, thank you!!!

If I make bettercream with the cheesecake pudding mix that will taste good and can it stay out?..sorry for the questions!! I am planning to make my husband's birthday cake so I wanted to make in advance...thank you for you help

Yes, the pudding mix doesn't require refrigeration without the milk added to it, and since buttercream can be left out, just adding the pudding mix will be fine. You can also buy cheesecake flavor from LoRannoils.com

Cristi-Tutty Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #4424 of 6536

thank you so much!!

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #4425 of 6536

Peanut butter cake disaster! I tried 1/4 the PB cake recipe, but added 1/2 packet of white chocolate pudding (all I had on hand) to make it more moist (bc of the comments in the word doc.). It made about 2 cups of batter that I baked in my 6inch round. I baked this cake for 25 minutes til a toothpick came out clean despite it being a little wobbly in the middle (I know, a bad sign). The middle of the cake was soggy and uncooked. I'm not sure exactly why. The batter rose above the edge of the pan. Does that cause the middle to cook slower? My only other guess is the pudding.

The cooked parts tasted amazing and I would love to give it another go.

GrandmaG Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #4426 of 6536

Just sounds like it wasn't done. I don't think it was the pudding. Try putting a flower nail in the middle when you are baking so it will bake more even. What was your oven temperature?

MacsMom Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #4427 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolson13

Peanut butter cake disaster! I tried 1/4 the PB cake recipe, but added 1/2 packet of white chocolate pudding (all I had on hand) to make it more moist (bc of the comments in the word doc.). It made about 2 cups of batter that I baked in my 6inch round. I baked this cake for 25 minutes til a toothpick came out clean despite it being a little wobbly in the middle (I know, a bad sign). The middle of the cake was soggy and uncooked. I'm not sure exactly why. The batter rose above the edge of the pan. Does that cause the middle to cook slower? My only other guess is the pudding.

The cooked parts tasted amazing and I would love to give it another go.

25 mins was definitely not long emough. Even in a 6" pan this cake can take 45 mins to bake at 325 - a full hour or more if filled pretty high, which it sounds like it was.

The pudding wouldn't have caused it to need to bake any longer.

rcolson13 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4428 of 6536

I think you two are right - should've baked it longer. 1hr is a long time for a 6-inch. Is it because the batter is thicker than typical WASC?

GrandmaG Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4429 of 6536

Those pans are still deep and at 325 it will take longer any way but you will have a moister and more level cake! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4430 of 6536
Quote:

I think you two are right - should've baked it longer. 1hr is a long time for a 6-inch. Is it because the batter is thicker than typical WASC?

That, plus peanut butter has a lof fat. But I just finished baking a bunch of sample cakes in 6" pans, different flavors, and they all took at least 50 mins, some more than an hour (filled fuller and wrapped with a bake-even strip). Of course, I had 3 or 4 in the oven at once...

GrandmaG Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4431 of 6536

MacsMom, do you add pudding mix to your peanutbutter cake recipe and also what flavor creamer do you use? TIA

MacsMom Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4432 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

MacsMom, do you add pudding mix to your peanutbutter cake recipe and also what flavor creamer do you use? TIA

I haven't made it since I wrote that note about the pudding, but I won't hesitate to use it next time. I used french vanilla creamer, but I'm thinking of using buttermilk next time...

rcolson13 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4433 of 6536

I made the Guinness cake yesterday and it came out alright. I expected it to be richer, but I think it is the cake mix I used - Pillsbury regular chocolate. Any tips for what I can do to make it richer now that I've baked it? I have an extra Guinness if that can be of use. It also didn't rise very much - has anyone else experienced that?
I'm going to try it again later with a Betty Crocker chocolate fudge mix. I think that should make it richer

MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4434 of 6536
Quote:

I made the Guinness cake yesterday and it came out alright. I expected it to be richer, but I think it is the cake mix I used - Pillsbury regular chocolate. Any tips for what I can do to make it richer now that I've baked it? I have an extra Guinness if that can be of use. It also didn't rise very much - has anyone else experienced that?
I'm going to try it again later with a Betty Crocker chocolate fudge mix. I think that should make it richer

Pillsbury doesn't sem to do as well as BC. If you re-do it, try it BC dark chocolate; choc fudge is fine, but dark choc is awesome.

You can try a coffee/Guiness/chocolate syrup to brush over the layers: Mix a small amount of instant coffe crystals and 1/4 c PS into 1/2 cup of Guiness and 2 tbls chocolate syrup. Watch carefully in microwave as you heat it. Taste it and adjust the flavor to your liking, poke holes in cake and drizzle over while warm.

rcolson13 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4435 of 6536

MacsMom...you are amazing! I will give that a try and let you know how it comes out. icon_rolleyes.gif

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4436 of 6536

Thanks for sharing your recipes and cake flavors! thumbs_up.gif

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #4437 of 6536
Quote:

Is this room stable or would the cake require refrigeration

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #4438 of 6536

Wow! Lost track of this thread. Adding a comment to remind myself to check it. icon_smile.gif Lots of great flavor combos and tips here!

rcolson13 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:31am
post #4439 of 6536

The problem with my cake earlier was a user error. =p I quartered the amount of box mix, but halfed rest of the ingredients. My ratios were off. I remade it with BC devil's food (no dark chocolate at the store today) and it came out nicely. You can't really taste the beer, but it is a more complex tasting chocolate cake. That syrup you mentioned sounds so good that I am still thinking about using it on the cake

MacsMom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #4440 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

Quote:

Is this room stable or would the cake require refrigeration

I wouldn't leave it out more than a day. The white chocolate truffle filling is room stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%