Tips For Doll Cakes

Decorating By BrandieLeigh Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 1:21am by BrandieLeigh

BrandieLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandieLeigh Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to be making a barbie doll cake for my daughter's 5th birthday next week and was wondering if there are any tips anyone has for me. I don't have the special pan so i'll be carving the skirt.

I know to wrap the barbie's torso and head/hair and arms in plastic wrap while i work to keep her arms and hair out of the way.

I know to cut a hole for the barbie to fit into so the cake doesn't crack.

but are there any other tips you have for me???

i'm going to be decorating it with buttercream and mmf unless you can suggest something better to use.

thanks in advance

8 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 9

Many years ago before the Barbie pan was invented I used to make the cake using an angel food tube pan and a pan the diameter of the top of the tube pan(when inverted). If you don't have one the same size use any layer pan that's at least the same diameter and cut it to size. The tube pan is already shaped like a skirt so I rounded the top layer cake like the top of the skirt and presto, a Barbie cake. There weren't any doll picks then but by using these pans the cake was tall enough to accommodate a real Barbie doll. Give it a thin crumb coat and let it set up and have fun decorating. By the way, this method gives you a larger cake so more servings. If I was using cake mixes I would use 2.

Ballymena Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 9

Many years ago before the Barbie pan was invented I used to make the cake using an angel food tube pan and a pan the diameter of the top of the tube pan(when inverted). If you don't have one the same size use any layer pan that's at least the same diameter and cut it to size. The tube pan is already shaped like a skirt so I rounded the top layer cake like the top of the skirt and presto, a Barbie cake. There weren't any doll picks then but by using these pans the cake was tall enough to accommodate a real Barbie doll. Give it a thin crumb coat and let it set up and have fun decorating. By the way, this method gives you a larger cake so more servings. If I was using cake mixes I would use 2.

Ballymena Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 9

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

You can make 3 or 4 8" rounds depending on how tall you want it to be stack them on top of eachother then carve from the top down. I have posted a few that I have made. Barbie was carved cinderalla was the wonder mold I did't want to deal with the extra carving and cake crumbs faster to. Also after you carve the cakes you can use some of the scraps for the extra folds in the skirt then frost over them as well. I will be making another one this Friday for a bridal shower. If you have more questions I will be happy to help. Hope this helps.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 9

You can make 3 or 4 8" rounds depending on how tall you want it to be stack them on top of eachother then carve from the top down. I have posted a few that I have made. Barbie was carved cinderalla was the wonder mold I did't want to deal with the extra carving and cake crumbs faster to. Also after you carve the cakes you can use some of the scraps for the extra folds in the skirt then frost over them as well. I will be making another one this Friday for a bridal shower. If you have more questions I will be happy to help. Hope this helps.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 9

The cake depth needs to be at least 7 inches

you can use decesnding pan sizes until you get the height you need so as not to waste too much cake

I used my pampered chef batter bowl to bake the top of the skirt and added a 8x2 round for added height (i wish I had tapered the top of the skirt so that the poof wasn't so big)

Have Fun!!

kathrynmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynmc Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

Hi, I made a barbie doll cake for my little girls birthday last year, there is a picture in my profile if you want to have a look. It was the first time I had done any kind of novelty cake, and was quite easy once I managed to get the cake right.

I made the cake in a glass pyrex dish, so it didn't stick, i greased it then used baking paper and greased it again. I did it slowly in the oven and it turned it came out quite easily. My first go did stick, so make sure you grease it well.

I made pink buttercream to decorate the skirt and little silver balls

Kathryn

BrandieLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandieLeigh Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

i was thinking about trying the angel food pan. i think i still have one that i borrowed from my mil back in the day. if not, i can borrow it again. i figured since it already has a hole in it it might work best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%